Bored/Crabby Toddlers - ideas?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Amy A, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

Hello [​IMG] I am just wondering if any of you have similar guys to mine. They really want to be on the go and doing different things quite frequently. We have to get out of the house at least once a day, otherwise we are all nutso. Well, we were gone all morning, and by 3:30 this afternoon they have been crabby. They want to do something different all the time and I am running out of ideas. It's just to much work to go places with them all the time when it's cold out, and especially when we all have bad colds and I just want to crawl into bed.

I know they need some downtime from each other because they are biting a lot. So I got desperate and pulled out two new books for Christmas and gave them each one to read IN their cribs. They don't care for that idea to much. I really want to be able for them to have "apart time" from each other and use their seperate cribs as alone time - not as a punishment I think they believe they are having. I know they just need some down time from each other. Any ideas?? Do I seperate them by closing one in their room and one in the LIving room? Anyone done this with a positive outcome?

Oh, they did nap too - an hour which is norm for them. They are getting two year molars and have colds, so that doesn't help. But even when that isn't going on, they still get very restless! It is going to be a long winter!!!

2. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

Hello [​IMG] I am just wondering if any of you have similar guys to mine. They really want to be on the go and doing different things quite frequently. We have to get out of the house at least once a day, otherwise we are all nutso. Well, we were gone all morning, and by 3:30 this afternoon they have been crabby. They want to do something different all the time and I am running out of ideas. It's just to much work to go places with them all the time when it's cold out, and especially when we all have bad colds and I just want to crawl into bed.

I know they need some downtime from each other because they are biting a lot. So I got desperate and pulled out two new books for Christmas and gave them each one to read IN their cribs. They don't care for that idea to much. I really want to be able for them to have "apart time" from each other and use their seperate cribs as alone time - not as a punishment I think they believe they are having. I know they just need some down time from each other. Any ideas?? Do I seperate them by closing one in their room and one in the LIving room? Anyone done this with a positive outcome?

Oh, they did nap too - an hour which is norm for them. They are getting two year molars and have colds, so that doesn't help. But even when that isn't going on, they still get very restless! It is going to be a long winter!!!

3. rens

rens Well-Known Member

Hi Amy!
    A few idea we have been doing lately:
    1) Got out the laundry baskets as they love to get in and out and put stuff in

2) bought some child friendly sissors and they "try" to cut the junk mail that comes (target ads etc)

3) playdough

4) Coloring

5) Read, read, read... yes Ella still loves to read books!

6) Give them a couple of paper bags or canvas type bags and let them load them up with toys or books or misc items around the house. We do purses too... but you have men so not sure if that would be the norm [​IMG]

7) Will try to think of more but that is the recent events as we too have colds and runny diaper stuff along with an attempt at potty training!

-Kristi

4. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

Thanks Kristi! The sisscors are a great idea, I think I will get some at Target tonight when I pick up some groceries! We will have to try and get together sometime when are kids are over their colds [​IMG]