born free or Dr.Brown

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by w101ttd, Jul 8, 2010.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

We have been using Dr.Brown, but my girl still has a bed reflux and my boy has bad colic. I tried to switch them to bornfree. But they cant take the nipple. They just get used to regular size nipples. Do you have the same experience? thanks

2. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

I haven't tried born free, but we tried Playtex Ventaire (which has both wide and regular nipples) and that seemed to help our gassy twin. Not sure if it will work for colic or reflux.

BTW - we previously used, and have returned to Dr. Brown's

3. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

We used the Ventaire's PP mentioned and the Dr. Brown's. Bad colic here...didn't see much help in bottles but we did love the Dr. Brown's and used them all year. We had problems with the Ventaire's leaking. Anyway, we used Gripe Water...helped burping but our only real solution was taking out the DVD of Happiest Baby on the Block and using the 5 S's. Have you tried that? The biggest solution of course was for her to outgrow it. Hang in there momma!

4. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

We switched to Dr. Browns bottles after first trying Playtex Drop-Ins because our boys had HORRIBLE gas and moderate reflux. We used the Dr. B bottles for well over a month, and our boys still had terrible gas. It was SO frustrating. I then switched to Playtex Ventaires to see if they made a difference. I can't say the Ventaires were any better at controlling gas caused by air intake, but they certainly weren't any worse than Dr. Browns bottles, and they were a heckuva lot easier to clean! So we've been using Ventairs for about 9 months now (and our little preemies' tummy problems just got better after time), but we have always used Dr. Browns level 2 nipples with the Ventaires (those nipples are awesome). GL! It is so hard trying to find the right bottle that works for your babies.

5. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

I used the Ventairs with the Dr. Brown nipples for mine. It says not to substitute different nipples on the package but you totally can.

6. Kaffeetee

Kaffeetee Well-Known Member

I use born free. Can't compare with Dr. Brown coz I've never tried them. But am happy with Born free.

7. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

Can't comment on the born frees but we have been using dr brown's from about the time they were four months old and they are great (less gas and spit up). It just sucks that they are so annoying to wash!