BOTH babies screaming at breast

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by pinemom, Jul 19, 2012.

1. pinemom

pinemom Member

I have two-month-old twins. Just recently, they have both started SCREAMING (and I mean an "I'm in pain" scream) after a few minutes of breastfeeding. Usually the girl will start it. She'll be on the breast for maybe three or four minutes when she'll start wailing, and then her brother will do the same. I'll take them off and burp them, calm them down, etc., but I can't get them to nurse again. I've tried nursing them in different positions and by themselves but no go. After that fiasco, I warm up some pumped breast milk and they drink that from the bottle just fine. Anyone else had this happen to them? Why? What can I do? I don't think it's a supply issue because when I try to express milk from the breast they were on, there's milk there. And the girl used to breastfeed so well that I'd say she could latch on and nurse upside down in a windstorm. Help!!!

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know this sounds a little crazy, but have you tried NOT topping them up after? It's quite possible that at 2 months, with a good supply & effective latches, that your littles are done their feed at that point. I would just try it next time & see what happens. Some babies will still drink from a bottle even when they aren't necessarily hungry just because they like to suck. If they do still seem hungry after a bit of a break from the breast (and if they're relatively calm by that point), then try re-latching. Don't try & force them to nurse if they're upset though as it may create a negative association with the breast.

Some other possibilities with links to info on Kellymom:
    Forceful let down or over supply - http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/
    Slow let down - http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/letdown/
    Reflux - http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/m2m-reflux/

3. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

Mine were doing that at 2mo a lot. We thought they had reflux so we tried zantac and it didnt help. Then started prevacid and it seemed around then all the fussing at the breast stopped. I always tandem feed so they arent at much of an incline which i think made the reflux worse b

Mine were doing that at 2mo a lot. We thought they had reflux so we tried zantac and it didnt help. Then started prevacid and it seemed around then all the fussing at the breast stopped. I always tandem feed so they arent at much of an incline which i think made the reflux worse b

4. pinemom

pinemom Member

They do have reflux and the boy has been on Prevacid for several weeks...Still, I'm not sure that's it.

5. miss_bossy18

I can never remember which one, but one of the reflux meds' dosing is very weight dependent. If your little ones have been gaining weight steadily, it could be that they need a dose adjustment.

6. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Mine are 8 weeks tomorrow and I've had a similar issue to a lesser degree lately. If they will take pacifiers, you may try offering one when they pop off instead of the bottle. That will give you some idea of whether they are actually hungry or just drinking the bottle to suck. In my case, it does seem to be that they fuss if they are done and I don't pick up on it quickly enough.

Good luck!

2 people like this.
  7. pinemom

pinemom Member

It happens so suddenly. I just don't know why they'd cry if they're just done. They used to just fall asleep!

8. miss_bossy18

It's just one possible scenario. Just try it & see what happens. The worst that will happen is that you'll confirm whether they are full or not & if not, then we can continue problem solving from there. One thing I've found (especially since adding Emmett to our family) is that I over think things way. too. much. And then I end up frustrated & confused. I have to remind myself to "go back to basics". Watch Emmett. Watch his cues. What is he telling me? Take it step by step.

9. Yoyomilli

Yoyomilli Active Member

I had this problem with my 9 week old twin when he was 7 weeks. His sister did fine though. It was forceful let down for me and he couldn't handle it. He would gulp air and milk and scream, pull away and then want more. It was exhasting. But now mostly nurse him lying down tummy to tummy or I lean back so the milk is flowing against gravity. It has made tandem nursing impossible, but at least there is no screaming.