bottle nipple help!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by AKilburn, Oct 5, 2012.

1. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

Okay short story of it is doc told us to add rice cereal to the twins formula to see if that helps with some issues going on ... So I've tried making the holes larger and its either too small or too large and adalynn ends up wearing most of it. So my question is ... If I went out and bought new ones should I get medium flow or fast???

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What kind of bottles are you using? Without knowing, I would say fast.

I always used a small exacto blade and would poke just the tip through the nipple so it was like 1 mm. Alice never wore formula on the way down. . .on the way back up though, that was a different story.

3. AKilburn

Playtex ventaire only ones that work with the twins ... Surprisingly shes wearing it going down but its not coming back uo between the nutramigen and the cereal its doing some thing good for her reflux

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Buy a package of each and see which works better? If it's the medium flow, you'll have some for the next step up, if not, well you're only out one package of nipples.

5. AKilburn

Well I got a pkg of each and honestly dont see how the cereal will go through there any better, but I guess we'll see .... On a total side note, got to test out my stroller for the first time in a store .... Worked out pretty well!

6. astewart0610

astewart0610 Well-Known Member

Alex, I use the same bottles and used them with my daughter too, none of the nipples are big enough for cereal, we had to poke the holes with a razor or knife. Just use which ever you have, eventually you will get a good size hole lol! Otherwise you'd have to buy new bottles.. I believe some brands make cereal nipples, but I prefer not to use any other bottles. In fact I am already using medium flow bc my boys can't get anything out of the slow!!

7. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

We used the brown rubber nipples for this reason- they're the only ones I had any luck with cutting the hole wider without it continuing to tear.

Rice cereal in bottles and Prevacid is what saved our lives! Samantha had reflux but I didn't want to confuse bottles, so they both got the cereal. The ped highly recommended it and it worked! I hope it does for you, too.

8. AKilburn

So far the fast nipples seem to work great, as long as you dont mind shaking it up a ton of times, lol! I've actually found if I warm up the bottle with just water and cereal and then add the formula it works a lot better.

Ashley, honestly I love these bottles we've tried avent, dr. Browns, tommee tippee ... They all caused gas, these don't, oddly enough!

Stephanie, I'm going to talk to my doc about the previcid bc the zantac was working but doesn't seem to help much now. The cereal is a god send though, if we give adalynn a bottle without it she immediately spits it all back up, with it, not as much, but shes still getting that "verpy" spit up once in a while which at first when she was on the zantac she wasn't .... I know there are a lot of nay Sayers about the cereal but I trust my pedi to have my children's best interest in mind.

9. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

When you ask about Prevacid, ask of the compounded formula would work. We used compounded (more expensive and you have to fill the prescription every two weeks) and it was amazing! On weekends when we would run out before the pharmacy could fill it and had to use the solutab, I saw such a difference. The compounded formula was so effective.