Brand New and Excited/Terrified

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by dontforgetmeknots, Jul 4, 2014.

1. dontforgetmeknots

dontforgetmeknots New Member

Hi everyone! I'm Angie.

I have 3 children. Two boys that are 8 and about to turn 7 and a little girl about to turn 2. I've had a pretty horrendous history with pregnancies. I miscarried one after my ex beat me and was forced to abort another, had a cornual ectopic early this year and and had complications with my little girl including bleeding. We have just found out we are pregnant, and IT'S TWINS.

I had a feeling it was. I don't know why but I just did. The 'feeling' started 3 days before my period was due during one of my uni exams. I came home that night and brought a pregnancy test. Nothing came up at first so I left it but 5 minutes later I had two pretty dark lines!!! I freaked out immediately thinking it might be another ectopic and went to the doctor the next day who also did a urine test. Same deal only this time you could see a faint line right away which got very dark after a couple of minutes. She sent me to do a blood test.

The blood test came back saying approx. 4-5 weeks based on the hcg levels so I was feeling a lot better and waiting until bang on 5 weeks for the scan. Got to the scan and she says to me, are you feeling sicker than normal? Because I see two in here. I wasn't terribly surprised and have just taken the news in my stride. My partner is much the same. Although he is focusing a little more on how much hard work it will be while I'm just trying to remain really positive and keep stress levels down.

I just have a million questions and a millions concerns because I don't know anything about twins!!! The doctor said from the scan it looks very much like identical and I'm going back at 7 weeks (it'll be bang on the day too because I can't stand waiting) for another scan to check for heartbeats. She also got me to do another blood test at 5 weeks to check the hcg levels are rising. If that's normal and the scan is as expected, I can rule ectopic out as something to worry about.

That said, I'm soooooooooooo worried I'll lose one or both of these little twins. I keep reading horror stories about all the risks and how one twin can dissolve etc etc etc. But I adore them both already!!!

When does the worry end?! After having miscarriages I'm so paranoid, but doubly so now!

But YAY, twins! I always wanted twins. More at the start of family planning but I'll have them as children number 4 and 5 instead ;)

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: to TS!  Congratulations on your pregnancy!  I think it is perfectly normal to be worried and anxious :hug:
    I think the smart thing to do is what you said, "remain positive and keep stress levels down."  When I was pregnant with my two, my husband banned me from TLC baby shows (which felt like to me at the time was all twin pregnancies that went wrong) and google.
    I don't know when the worry ends, I always had a level of worry during the pregnancy.  But try not to have worry be your focus during the pregnancy (I did that at first and was driving everyone, especially myself, crazy) and do the best you can to be positive and relaxed.
    I wish you all the best!  And you can always come here and chat!

3. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Welcome to Twinstuff and congratulations.  Please keep us posted after your next appointment.
    It is perfectly natural to feel anxious about a pregnancy especially a twin pregnancy.  I had a miscarriage prior to my twin pregnancy and I dont think I ever stopped worrying until the day I delivered. 
    Please come to us with any questions, we're here to help!

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: to Twinstuff!  Congratulations on your twins!!

5. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Congrats and welcome!!

6. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site glad you found us. Just being around others that have been there is a lot. Ask your million questions, you get so much support here.
    I was pretty freaked the whole pg. I found out early (7 weeks it was twins). I got u/s once a month and I was a wreck until each one. I would suggest that you do like your doing keep stress low. I did a lot of reading on twins etc.  I wouldn't worry until the Dr says theres something to worry about. I know that's easier said than done. But everything thus far has been where it should be from what you have said.
    Keep us updated.