Breastfeeding is/was _______

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cheezewhiz24, Jun 27, 2013.

1. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think for me it changed while I was pregnant, then when I had nursing trouble the first 5 days, then again the first 3 months and then the road to the end was different. So, what is Breastfeeding like for you right now? Or, if you've weaned, what are your overall experiences/impressions of Breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding is/was trans-formative for me

2. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

It was wonderful, eventually. I was prepared for it to be painful with my first, after talking to friends and family. But we had latching issues that just about put me over the edge but when we finally figured it it, it just clicked and I absolutely loved that bond with my baby. I also loved the convenience. Trey is only 21 months younger and I'd nursed Sage til I was 4-5 months pregnant, so I was not expecting it to be painful in the beginning again and it really took me by surprise. But I got over it. Adam was the easiest by far. He knew exactly what to do from the get go. I never got engorged and he GAINED 8 ounces by his 5 day checkup.

The twins were a whole new deal. Sydney was fine but nursing Sabrina and worrying about her and having to pump and also supplement (none of my older 3 had ever had formula) were all so stressful. Add in that there were twins and it was pretty rough for the first 4-5 months. But in the end, even though she always got at least 1 bottle of formula/day until she was 1, both girls extended breastfed and finally weaned at 33 mo.

Spencer was more like Sage, but I was more experienced. He struggled at first but you'd never guess it now, he's quite big for his age.

Breast feeding forged bonds for me. It was mostly wonderful and comfortable and sweet and tender and sometimes chaotic and when my last baby finally weaned (32 mo) I'll admit I was kind of sad.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2016
  3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'll admit breastfeeding twins wasn't a picnic for me. We had lots of problems latching, two very hungry boys, rounds of mastitis, and I had the anxiety so I felt like I couldn't have a drink or live a normal life while nursing. If I had it to do over, I would be so much kinder to myself for doing such a big job. However, the kids thrived and are healthy happy boys now, so I don't regret it.

So, breastfeeding was the healthiest choice for my babies.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Breastfeeding is relaxing. At 19 months, it's just such a soothing, calming time to spend with Emmett. I'm loving the oxytocin high.

5. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Breastfeeding is comforting.

6. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Breastfeeding is rewarding, relaxing, comforting... I could go on. I just plain loved it!

7. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I breastfed for a combined total of 51 months. There are so many adjectives I could use to describe it.
    Painful, wonderful, terrible, terrific, soothing, helpful, frustrating, annoying, easy, difficult, relaxing, restful, inspiring, empowering.

All that and more. I really cringe when I hear people say the quit after 3 weeks or so because they were miserable the entire time. So was I. I think the first three weeks as a mother are probably the worst three weeks of most women's lives. Whether you are breastfeeding or not. And no matter how prepared you are there can be problems. The first 6 weeks with my singleton was way harder in the feeding department than the first three weeks with my twins, (but easier in other things, like diaper changing!) I went on to breastfeed him for three years and I'm so glad I did. I'm so glad I didn't quit just because it was painful at first.

8. lcjackman

lcjackman Well-Known Member

What has surprised me most about breastfeeding the twins is how much THEY seem to bond during feeding sessions. Sure, I can sit, relax and let them do their thing which is nice but I feel like they've really connected this way too. They fed seperately for the first while because we had one in the hospital and one out and I was so worried they were missing each other. Now, at 5 months, they nurse together and because this is such a relaxing time for all of us, after they've finished, they often hold hands, watch each other and sometimes even suck on each others fingers! So I guess for me, breastfeeding is peaceful!

9. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

At the moment breastfeeding for me is inconsistent and frustrating! Some feedings they latch on and go to town for 10-15 mins, then fall asleep and are done, and it's easy and great. Other times they suck a few times, spit me out while they try to pass gas, open their mouths again, bite down but don't suck, spit me out while arching their backs from reflux, choke and refuse to nurse anymore, fall asleep after 3 minutes even though they were screaming because they were so hungry, or root around so frantically that they stick their hands in front of their mouths and I can't get in at all without my husband holding their arms out of the way. Oh yeah, and in the course of the squirming they knock off the nipple shields and pour milk all over everything, then when I put them to bed after they've fallen asleep with only eating a little they start rooting around again. Sigh. I'm hoping as they get older I'll have more good feedings and fewer frustrating ones.

10. parker362

parker362 Member

Breastfeeding was the hardest thing my babes and I learned how to do! Well that is until recently as we are trying to wean them from swaddling!!! Sigh...

No one warned me about how hard breastfeeding would be. My twins were 5lbs 5oz and 5lbs 3oz born at 37 weeks 4 days so basically full term yet it took us a long time to get the hang of it. Latching issues, 1 crack, blisters, blocked ducts, mastitis, but all that being said I absolutely LOVE it now. It makes me feel so close to my babies and I know I am doing as much for them as I can in breastfeeding through all of the difficulties! They are 4.5 months old now and my goal was to make it to 6 months...here's hoping I can make it another 1.5 months!!

11. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Until I gave VBAC'd with my daughter, breastfeeding my newborn boys was the hardest thing I'd ever done and succeeded at.

At 4 months when things were running smoothly and I was donating extra to the local milk bank, it was so rewarding.

While weaning, Breastfeeding was so bittersweet. Now I'm weaning again, as per Annabelle's request, and I kind of hate it. She's my last and I will miss nursing (I too like oxytocin).