Breastfeeding Question..

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by erinh56, Jul 24, 2007.

1. erinh56

erinh56 Well-Known Member

So, since there are two babies, rather than one and whole lot more hormones circulating, do you provide more breastmilk? I plan on b/f and wondered if more milk in general is produced. Now I know, it runs on a supply and demand situation...but I've noticed more "boob-age" with this pregnancy...lol. :a_smil09:

2. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know that we have a lot of women here who have been able to breastfeed their twins for a long time. Check out our Breastfeeding Forum for support and more information on nursing twins.

3. alandrum

alandrum Member

QUOTE(moski @ Jul 24 2007, 08:45 AM) [snapback]342407[/snapback]
    I know that we have a lot of women here who have been able to breastfeed their twins for a long time. Check out our Breastfeeding Forum for support and more information on nursing twins.

I can not answer the question but i can say I have way more boobs this time around then with my son. I went from a A/B to a C with my son and right now i am a D border line DD. It is insane!

4. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I think in general it is true that your body will produce more. That being said, some first time moms are a little slow to pick up that production. I had a very low milk supply with my first dd... my milk didn't come in until like day 7 or 8. So with the twins it came in on day two but was about what I would have needed for one baby. My little ones were nursing champs, but continued to lose weight, so I had to supplement them initially.

5. daisydoll

daisydoll Well-Known Member

I just took a b/f class on Saturday and the teacher said its like supply & demand. You will produce what your babies need.

6. dmkhunt

dmkhunt Well-Known Member

It's supply and demand. I was able to breastfeed my twins until 15 months and that was with me returning to work full time at 6 weeks. The breastfeeding forum is wonderful and they can help you learn many tricks to get and keep your supply up.

7. txtwinmom2b

txtwinmom2b Well-Known Member

Yes, generally, you will make enough milk for both babies, and it's supply and demand. I've been fortunate to have an abundant supply without having to supplement (although I did for a few days when they were first born)

8. 2betterthan1

2betterthan1 Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure, since this is my first pregnancy, but I'm thinking you must get more milk. My boobs got HUGE overnight and started leaking around 18-20 weeks I think.... and now its pouring out like a fountain! Anybody who knows how soon I started leaking and only had one baby was shocked! But like I said this could be normal for me, this is my first pregnancy!

Shannon