Britax Marathon vs. Cosco Alpha Omega Elite

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by DATJMom, Nov 29, 2008.

?

I have a Britax Marathon

1. I love it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I hate it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Worth the extra money

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not worth the extra money

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Kids seem comfortable in them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Kids are uncomfortable in them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Hard to install

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. No problems with installation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I am in a bind. Leah is just about 40 pounds and just turned 4. I dont want to put her in a booster seat right now. I dont feel that it is safe enough to protect her if we are in an accident (although Florida says she can ride in a seat belt at age 4 :eek: ).

So now I am looking for something that can hold a child over 40 pounds forward-facing in a 5-point harness for at least another year or so. I have been looking at the Britax Marathon (which in hindsight I probably should have spent the money on-but oh well) or the Cosco Alpha Omega Elite. Both have what I am looking for in terms of a higher weight limit forward facing and I have heard such awesome things about the Marathon I wanted to know about the Alpha Omega. I researched on Consumer Reports and the Alpha Omega scored better than the Marathon, but alot of the Marathon 'faults' were infant related.

Can you guys help me with my decision??

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

2. djpizzuti

djpizzuti Well-Known Member

I own both! I hate the Cosco seat, and it is in my garage. I am giving it away. All you need to do to make your decision is "heft" them both... pick them up. You can feel that the shell of the britax is better made, my Cosco seat seems insubstantial in comparison. The installation on the Britax is idiot proof (and I am the idiot in question :lol: ), I can sling those babies in and out of vehicles in no time flat with solid, safe installation.

Ummm... I voted Britax :D .

Donna

3. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

My twins are still in their Britax and they were worth every penny I paid for them.

No doubt at all!

4. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls are in Britax marathons in my car and cosco scenco in my MIL's car.
    How tall is your dd? I would be looking at the foward facing 5 point harness seats. I'm getting worried that my almost 40 inch girls are going to outgrown the Marathon because they will be too tall

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I really like our cosco alpha omega elites, but I don't have anything to compare them to. I did a lot of research before getting them and they got very good ratings on consumer reports, are comfy for the girls and fit nicely in our cars. They are also a really good value and I like that the booster goes up to 100lbs. I'm 5' 1" and barely 100lbs so I doubt my girlies will grow out of these since they are peanuts too.

6. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I've never seen the Cosco ones, but I have the Marathons & LOVE them. They're not hard for me to install, but getting them out is tricky sometimes b/c of the way they anchor in my truck. However, I think that has more to do with my truck than the carseats.

Now, taking the covers off to wash can be a chore. Only 1 part is hard for me & to be honest the part in question doesn't look like it actually serves a purpose & I'm considering calling the comany to see if I can leave it off. If it weren't for that one part, it would be a breeze.

7. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies. I went ahead and ordered 2 of the Marathons in the cowmooflage. They were too cute to pass up!

8. djpizzuti

djpizzuti Well-Known Member

Oh thank goodness! You will love them!

9. Melis

Melis Well-Known Member

I have had both- hands down the britax!