Brown spotting at 13 weeks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Krystine, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

Trying not to freak out here but I've had brown spotting yesterday and today at 13.5 weeks PG. I found both babies hb on Doppler yesterday and today so I know they're still alive but the spotting really scares me to pieces especially after 2 missed MC. I see my doctor on Wed. and will certainly tell him but wondering if there's anything I should do in the meantime. I've looked up info about it online but just found it could be nothing or it could be serious and nothing very helpful. I am worried especially about a hematoma or placenta previa. I so just want both of my precious little twin babies to be OK!

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If it were me, I would call the ob/gyn, at least for reassurance. They may have you come in, and that will help put your mind at ease. Around that same gestation, I had bleeding. It felt like I had my period. I ended up having a subchorionic hematoma/hemorrhage, which I learned about from this site. My doctor had me come in immediately and they did the u/s, tests, etc-and the u/s showed the SCH. Spotting is common, some on here had it well into the second trimester, if not longer. And brown spotting is old blood. If it is a SCH, the doctor could put you on some modified bed rests of sorts to let it be reabsorbed, etc.

Oh-and stay away from Google! ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. Krystine

I'll call them Monday unless it gets worse because their instructions for after hrs call says spotting has to be at least the size of two quarters to be considered an emergency. I will try to rest as much as possible. I had to work today, too, which was definitely not restful. Thank you for your response!

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah-I would definitely just keep your feet up as much as possible. And stay away from the internet-unless it's TS of course! ;)

5. bayoubaloo

bayoubaloo Active Member

I think the same thing as the other ladies. Probably a sub chorionic clot. I've got a friend bleeding with that right now. It happens in about 20% if pregnancies, she was told by doc. Just stay off your feet. Don't be too alarmed if the blood is red either. Wishing you the best!

6. chicagomama

chicagomama Well-Known Member

see my post below "vag bleeding at13/14 weeks" Same issue and a SCH. 17 weeks today and doing well!

7. Krystine

How dangerous are SCH? I had some white-yellow cervical fluid this morning, not brown so far today. I'll call or email my doctor tomorrow morning for sure and maybe I can get an u/s Wed.

8. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I am wondering if you may have a uti especially with a yellow discharge. Keep us posted.

9. Krystine

I don't know. I will keep you posted. I am taking 81 mg aspirin daily due to previous miscarriages and I wondered if that might make this bleeding more common, however I am not taking progesterone supp and haven't had intercourse for a week. I am not particularly prone to UTIs but I will sure ask my doctor.

10. bayoubaloo

bayoubaloo Active Member

I'd call someone a nurse line or after hours RE the yellow discharge. Anything related to a UTI would scare me. It's probably nothing, ... But what does it hurt to get professional medical input?

11. Krystine

Well, the nurse practitioner said since it was brown and has stopped she's not as concerned and if it turns bright red and is more than spotting she wants to know about it and they will ask about it Wed.
    I don't have any other symptoms of a UTI and I don't think blood in urine is the same as brown cervical fluid...she said it could be from a BM or a strain. I guess in 48 hrs I'll get checked out unless I start bleeding by then. More white-yellow fluid this a.m.

ETA: I am getting an u/s Wednesday!

12. chicagomama

Glad the bleeding subsided! Keep us posted on the appointment!

13. wvtwinmama

wvtwinmama Well-Known Member

Glad it's stopped. I remember being so scared when I had a full on bleed (lots and bright red) at 13/14 weeks. I too had previously had 2 miscarriages. We never actually figured out what caused the bleeding, but I had 2 healthy babies at 39 weeks 1 day!! Take it easy and stay in touch with your doctor. Spotting (and even bleeding) can be very common, but should also always be checked out. Hang in there, Mama!!

14. Krystine

Both babies looked good at my u/s but I do have a small SCH near my cervix. It was 14ml. Praying it's reabsorbed and shrinks soon. I have another u/s a week from Monday to look at it.

15. chicagomama

Great to hear it is small and you have a short follow up. My SCH extends the length of my uterus and is large. My doctor says he is not worried about it despite the scary information I had read about the larger size ones. Anyway, just want to say if it is small that is a good indicator!

16. Krystine

Thank you. She said they measure them in ML and it was 14ML. I am still going to rest extra since I'm tired anyway and drink plenty since that's always good to do. My doctor didn't give me any restrictions but I want to feel like I'm doing something, you know?

ETA: sorry I already said its size! I feel like I'm low on brain cells. I did have a good talk about vaginal birth, though and not related to this post, but he did say when he did his residency they used to do a lot more of them and now they're coming back and he does have experience in turning babies and just this morning he delivered vaginal twins A was head first and B was transverse and they flipped him breech. He said we'll talk about it more as the time comes but I figure I'll just mention it every appointment so he remembers that's my choice if possible.

17. chicagomama

I kinda put myself on bedrest for four weeks. I modified my job so that I was sitting more and then on weekends and week nights really did my best to take it easy. Eliminated exercise which was really hard. When I went 4 weeks w/o bleeding and my MD stated I could resume regular exercise again I felt more confident. So sounds like your plan to take it real easy is a good one! Helped me feel like I was doing something too.

18. Krystine

Thank you. I'm having pink-red spotting this afternoon. I emailed the clinic although I realize it may be normal from the u/s probe yesterday. I hate seeing any blood during PG.