Brushing Teeth

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Padge, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Padge

Padge Well-Known Member

I am so bad at remembering to brush the twins teeth (now 21 months old). I probably end up brushing them every other day. Is anyone else as bad as I am?? :eek:

Also, do you brush their teeth at a certain time each day?

2. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

We brush them before they go to bed every night. I am trying to add brushing before naps now but DH is home with the girls Mon-Fri and forgets.

3. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

My girls brush right after breakfast & right before bed. My BIL is a pedi dentist & he has told me horror stories of decay in toddlers teeth so we have been brushing 2x a day since the first tooth.

4. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I usually make sure we get it done at LEAST at night! They are not very good at it and fight me hard when I try to do it for them. I would say 5-6 days a week at least once a day.

5. Hillybean

Hillybean Well-Known Member

we brush them every (well almost every) night before bed.

6. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

We try to do it every night but like you sometimes I forget. My girls love toothpaste, they think its candy (thank God it's fluoride free).

7. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

We brush every day at bedtime. They still put up such a fight every night. You would think by now they would be used to it.

8. twinmom11

twinmom11 Well-Known Member

We brush after breakfast and after dinner. I fought hard to make it part of our routine since they started sprouting teeth. At first it was a struggle but now, I wouldn't say they love it but they accept that it is non- negotiable. My parents never made sure I was brushing as a kid and boy am I paying for it now!

9. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Every morning after breakfast and every night right before bed.

10. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

We do it everynight before baths {they dont' get a bedtime bottle}. I would like to start adding it in after breakfast, but they fight me so much on it, i'm kind of discouraged!! <_<

11. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll admit it. I am not consistent. I just don't understand why I'm not. I guess cause it's so much work and I say I'll do it later but then I forget. There have been days where I didn't brush them in the am or pm (yuck) but then dh and I have the all too familiar conversation of how we have to get better at this and more consistent about it. When I think about it, it's gross not to brush them since they are eating pretty much EVERYTHING including some sweets here and there. I know the nighttime brushing is the most important because of all the eating all day so I need to make sure I get that one very consistent.

That being said, I am trying to work on giving them their viatmins in the am followed by brushing while they are in their booster seats right after they eat their bfast. The reason I say it's so much work is because if we do it in the bathroom then they are pulling on the toilet paper and playing with their Dora potty, closing the door on each other and pulling the hand towel off the rack and then when it's time to take the toothbrushes away, it's often followed by a small tantrum. Sorry, but that's work! It does help when they are in the booster seats because they are not allowed to get down until they give me back the toothbrush.

We also keep a set of toothbrushes upstairs in their bathroom (we brush their teeth while in they are in the bathtub) and downstairs in our half bath to make it easier and more accessible so I really have NO excuse for not getting it done.

12. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I'm not as consistant as I should be. I get so overwhelmed with doing everything else with them, but that is no excuse. I gotta start really making it a priority.

13. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

We brush before bed since about 10 months, they have had 16 teeth since then. i am trying to get into the habit of after breakfast but I am sooo bad at it.

14. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

At that age we brushed their teeth every night after they put on their pajamas. Sometimes we would btush in the morning too but at night we definitely did it. Now they brush every morning after breakfast and every night too.

15. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Toothbrush time is part of our bedtime routine and there's no way they'd let me forget. They love to brush their teeth by themselves so I brush first and then their reward for compliance is to brush on their own for a bit. They brush randomly at other times when they think of it but I give them a washcloth tooth scrubbing after meals while washing their hands and faces.

We went through phases where they didn't like having their teeth brushed and it wasn't fun. I'm glad it's only been phases.

16. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

We brush teeth every night after baths. We used to be really bad, but they used to not take a bath every night. Now they play so hard during the day that I have to give them a bath. And having that consistent routine makes it so much easier to remember.

Also, my kids love to brush their teeth now (they used to hate it). Because they enjoy it, they get their jammies on and immediately go into the bathroom to get their toothbrush. It is hard to forget when they are standing right there, with it waiting in their hands!!!!!

17. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

We do it before bed, too. We're not very good about a bedtime routine, but the brushing of teeth is something we always try to do. Now, I have forgotten a few times, or there's been a couple times that we were out late & they fell asleep on the way home that we didn't brush teeth. But dd especially will get bad breath the next day if we forget! So that helps me remember. Also, they just love to brush their teeth! More like sucking the toothpaste off, but they have fun. They'll even "brush" my teeth for me, too. I always have to go in after them & brush their teeth myself - which they hate.

I'm bad about remembering it in the morning, though.

18. SweetPeaTwinsx2

SweetPeaTwinsx2 Well-Known Member

Lauren and Madison brush their teeth (with help from us) every night. We need to add mornings here soon. They have been asking me to brush in the AM too (since they watch Abby and Lilly brush before they head to school!), so I need to get that in the routine!!

19. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

I try to do it every night before they go to bed. They look up to where the toothbrush is so they kinda remind me!! I do forget sometimes though x

20. dawnmj

dawnmj Well-Known Member

I am not as consistant as I should be. I try to remember and I do pretty good, when dh isn't home but for some reason I forget when he is here. I think he does it at night but I am not home to check on him. I hate asking him too cause then he thinks I am checking on him. I am doing my best though to remember every day.

21. Moms2NTwins

Moms2NTwins Well-Known Member

[SIZE=12pt]I dont have to remember these two dont let me forget lol they love to brush their teeth. 2-3 times a day. Usually right after nap and after bath and sometimes at a random time during the day. My oldest was never one to like to bvrush his teeth but my 3 youngest do great. The twins still think its fun...hope that carries on [/SIZE]

22. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

I do it everyday after breakfast while they are still strapped in their chairs. It's one of the first things that DS has said - not mama, dada, ball....it's "uh tee". That took me a while to figure out!

Before I did this, it was SO inconsistent because I tried to do it after baths. I just ended up forgetting, so I had to figure something else out. I keep the toothbrush down here in the kitchen with their spoons. It's right by the sink. They are rarely in the bathroom since we took out our tub, so keeping it in there just made me forget even more.

Good luck!

23. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We brush every night before bed.

24. Melis

Melis Well-Known Member

We brush after breakfast and before bed.

25. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

We brush after breakfast and after dinner every day, right after washing hands. (After dinner is effectively right before bed, since that goes directly into their bedtime routine.) Actually when we go wash hands after lunch and snack a lot of times the girls want to brush their teeth then, too! They love brushing their teeth. They haven't always loved letting Mommy have a turn, but I was just consistent about insisting on it, so now they generally brush their teethc for a few minutes then just hand me the toothbrush and say, "Mommy's turn!"

26. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We brush their teeth immediately before bed every night. From 12-18 months, we just let them chew on the toothbrush, but now we insist on them letting us brush (which goes better some nights than others).

I'm sure I'm still not doing as good a job as a dentist would recommend. But at least we do it every night (except maybe once a month when I forget). Sometimes we also do it in a half-@ssed fashion in the morning, mostly because they see me brushing my teeth and want to brush theirs too.

27. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

Once a day, before bed, and we forget A LOT. :blush:

They love it, though, so at least they often remind us!

28. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

Your post just reminded me that we forgot to brush this morning. <_< We always brush right before bed unless someone is really fussy or having teething issues. I TRY to remember to do it after breakfast but have a hard time remembering, but I'm determined to make it a habit soon.

29. Angie26

Angie26 Well-Known Member

I will tell you how bad I was at remembering. I bought the babysitter a set of toothbrushes and paste. (they are the only kids there) Now i know that they are getting brushed and we often do it at the house as well, so we are brushing two times per day!! This is really sad but it all has worked out!

30. avaoliviamom

avaoliviamom Well-Known Member

Every night before bed, but I'm thinking I should start an am routine also

31. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

We do it before bed. I can't remember to do it in the morning, plus I would have to keep a set upstairs. Maybe once every few weeks we skip it because someone's grumpy or we got home too late and we put them right to bed.

32. megginmj

megginmj Well-Known Member

I do it almost every night before bed, but like many others here my boys hate it when mommy brushes, though they love to play with the toothbrushes themselves. We forget every once in while - normally when something has disrupted our routine, like when we are out of town staying at Grandma's house.

I haven't started brushing their teeth in the morning yet, but I suppose I should start. I just hate the fighting and screaming every time we do it!

33. mom_stacyX2

mom_stacyX2 Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but this is the hardest thing for me to get used to. I know I really need to step and be more efficient with it.
    My kids LOVE to brush their teeth. SO much that they don't want to give the toothbrush up to me. They will run away with it (which terrifies me) .
    Most of the time I don't because I don't want the fight to get them to let ME brush them and the fight after I take them away. Them doing it is cake. :lol:

34. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

Every day after breakfast and every evening before bed. It's the routine.