Bumbo Seats

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by tpowers, Jul 18, 2009.

1. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

My boys are 3 months old. The Dr. said that we can try cereal now. I am thinking of using Bumbo seats for now instead of high chairs. I am wondering if they are worth for those who have used them. I am not loving the cost times 2. Thanks for your opinion.

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We got our 2 as a gift & I used them quite a bit. But they use them for such a short time that I don't know if I would have forked out the money myself. I will say though, that we sold ours on Craigslist after for almost as much as you can get them new, so that's something to consider too. Maybe you would be able to get most of your money back when you were done with them. Or maybe check around for some second-hand ones!

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would look for second hand ones if you want them. Some kids love them, some hate them, and they are a fairly hefty price for the few months they use them.

I don't have any, never had for my older kids, and don't feel I need any. I use my high chairs to feed the babes, more comfy and the perfect height for me to sit between and feed them! :)

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We got two bumbo seats as a gift that is how we started feeding them in those seats. The kids loved them, they got to practice sitting up in them (we started using them around 3 months old) and used them up to a year old (when they finally grew out of them). I also used them last summer to sit in the baby pool, so the kids could sit in the pool and at least get their feet wet, they were not yet sitting up well in the beginning of last summer. Good luck on your decision!

5. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

my SIL fed her DD in her bumbo until she was 9 months old! she had the tray attachment that goes with the bumbo.

on the other hand, my LOs hated the bumbo and would only sit in it for 5 minutes max. i would def. try to find some secondhand just in case they don't like them.

also, don't be suprised if your LOs don't do well on the cereal, 3 months is really young to start solids and they will probably still have a very strong tongue thrust reflex that will make them spit out anything you try to put in there that isn't a bottle or paci.

6. ambernruby

ambernruby Well-Known Member

Our girlies love the bumbot sit and play in but they refuse to eat from them, it's like they concentrate so hard on sitting up properly in them thye sttruggle to do anything else lol They can't go in them after a feed as they vomit.

7. mrschenoweth

mrschenoweth Well-Known Member

I love our Bumbo seats! I got one as a gift, and the other I bought from Craigslist for half the cost of a new one. We also have the trays that attach to them and we love those too! We put toys on them and they slap at them and try to grab them. When they are a little older I will throw some puffs on them for them to eat.

As for feeding them in a Bumbo...I don't see why not. I would say the benefits of a high chair is that its taller and mine have the backs that recline a bit for babies that don't sit straight up well on their own yet.

Good Luck! :bubble:

8. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This is a good point that I hadn't thought about. If you are going to try cereal at an early age, they may not be able to sit up straight enough in the Bumbo for eating. At 3 months they will probably still tend to slump down in them a bit & it will probably make feeding them difficult. They need fairly good upper body strength for the Bumbo seats.

9. swilhite25

swilhite25 Well-Known Member

We bought one at Target and found the other at a second-hand baby store for less than half the price I think. I'm sure you could find one on craigslist if nothing else. We still use ours sometimes for feeding but not for playing anymore since they can sit up and/or crawl. So we got ours at 3 1/2 months and still use them now a couple of times a week.

10. serialmommy

serialmommy Well-Known Member

we had a bumbo with izzy and i LOVED it..so did he and my hubby...we'll be getting them again for the twins, though not until they are 3 or 4 months old...we have 2 high chairs, but we both (adults) really like the bumbos for when the babies are smaller...

11. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

I had a bumbo for my second daughter and loved it. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that it's great if you travel. I used to take the bumbo with me to other people's houses and use it to feed my daughter. I have a travel booster seat too, but often at parties it was hard to find a chair to strap it to. With the bumbo I was able to plop it down anywhere in order to feed my kid.

This thread reminds me that I need to start looking for a second one on craigslist.

12. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I purchased 2 off of craigslist for $15 each. My LOs do short stints in them right now to practice sitting. I just got the trays (order them from One Step Ahead and they are only 4.95 a piece compared to 11.99 on the bumbo website - I think it is because they are cream colored but who cares) and the girls really love them - I put some toys on there and they hold their heads up so proud - like they have discovered some new play surface without mommy holding them. I would not purchase them brand new and I think they will be easy to resell. I have the fisher-price space saver high chairs that attach to regular chairs, but the bumbos will give me the opportunity to sit on the floor and feed them if needed. You should never leave them alone in the bumbo though, even on the floor as they are supposed to be used. You never know when the moment will come that they are strong enough to fling themselves over. Good luck!

13. Shohenadel

Shohenadel Well-Known Member

I just borrowed 2 bumbos from relatives because I didn't want to buy them if I wasn't sure how well they babies would do in them. My twins are 5 1/2 months old. We went on a day trip to a lake today and I brought the bumbos thinking they would be useful for feeding the babies their cereal. It didn't go so well. The babies are usually tilted back a bit in their high chairs and so I had a hard time spooning them their cereal while they were kinda hunched over in the Bumbos. The cereal got everywhere! (even more than usual). I'm sure they will do better though as they get older and more experienced with sitting up and eating solids (first week for that too). The other thing that concerns me is that one of my babies doesn't seem to like sitting in it and she straightens her body out and lifts her bum up and could potentially fall out very easily. I would never leave her unattended. In fact, I need to actually keep my hand on her to make sure she doesn't pop out. So I'm not sure yet on the Bumbo seats...I certainly would not pay full price. Some people swear by them...some don't like them at all. I will probably fall somewhere in between.

14. becky5

becky5 Guest

I had them and the babies didn't love them, but we did use them a fair amount. Like PP suggested, I would try to find them 2nd hand. They had just come out when we got them as a gift.

15. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I would say they are nice to try, but not essential. Mine use them occasionally. Like PPs said, try to get one second hand.