C-section panic

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kellmcguire, Oct 20, 2009.

1. kellmcguire

kellmcguire Well-Known Member

I'm 29 weeks today, and I'm starting to have C-section panic...

First, I've been thinking about my inability to be on my back for any tiny amount of time -- when I go for an ultrasound I can stand it about 15 minutes before I feel like I'm going to pass out. So my issue is this: When they are starting my C-section, how will I be able to be on my back until they get the babies out without feeling like I will pass out??

Second, I'm worried about the whole operation, not to mention that I read via my Facebook page that an acquaintence who had twins via C-section with my doctor said that she left a scar from hip to hip and was rough. This comment was seconded by her friend. My OB delivered my daughter (now 7) via a vaginal birth and although she was a strict cheerleader during the process (I needed it) I'm now worried she's goin to mutilate me...

Last -- is there anything I need AFTER the C-section that I should get now? Like a belly band or something something like that? Never been through this before, obviously, and a little worried about the healing process.

Thanks in advance!

2. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

First, breathe! :)

Do you know for sure that you're having a c-section?

I'm not sure about your issues with laying on your back. I would bring it up to your OB and find out of it's something to worry about. If it's a pain issue, you won't be able to feel anything, since you're numbed from your chest/ribcage all all the way down to your toes.

I've had two c-sections and my incision is not from hip to hip. It's maybe five inches and almost invisible now, just under the bikini line above the pubic bone and you can't even see it. That's the typical cut, but you will have a scar from it. It'll fade over time and eventually you won't even notice it. Again, you can always ask your OB about it and she can walk you through the process.

There's really not much you can do to prepare your body other than take good care of yourself and try to have as healthy a pregnancy as possible. But, you do need to know that you'll be down for a while and if you can find ways to make things easier on yourself like having help or meals already prepared and in the freezer, it'll make life a little easier.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something! I hope some others will have some good advice. Good luck!

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

This is totally normal and expected when having something as major as this that is going to happen to you. :hug:

I could not lay on my back either for u/s and I didn't even think of that before I went in but you will get through it without fainting, I just don't know how. :pardon: I got my spinal put in while I was sitting up and by the time I was laid down and they were prepping me (like putting in that breathing thing in my nose (no idea what it's called, sorry) it all went so quickly. Plus they move FAST so I'm hoping you won't faint. I would definitely ask your doctor but I'm sure you'll be okay. Most woman can't lay on their backs for too long.

:hug: I'm sorry they worried you. :hug: I guess all doctors cut differently because my scar is not from hip to hip, could they be exaggerating a bit?

My hospital did give me something like a belly band to put on the next day. :good: Life saver! It helped me heal, I believe. My best advice to you would be to get up and moving as soon as you can. It is going to hurt the first time you stand up (it hurt me bad!!) but that passed and it only got easier to move around. The hardest thing for me was stairs and getting in and out of bed but with time it got better. Try and have people around you to help you out and take care of you so you can focus on getting yourself back and focus on your babies. :hug:

4. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I had problems laying on my back late in pregnancy but never thought about the csect being a problem. You have the epidural so that may alleviate the feelig your going to faint. I didn't experience any feeligs in relation to this.

Let me guess your fb friend is a bit over the top in the self image dept. I have maybe a 7 inch line. It is a nice scar even though I had a spot on it that got infected after surgery. It may also depend on the closure method. They closed me with sutures inside and glue of The outer layer.

My csection was quick and smooth other Than the epidural which took a couple of tries to get in(teaching hospital). I could move my toes before they had me all the way sewed up and other than some cold feelings in recovery it was smooth. I was even able to get from the recovery bed to the hospital bed by myself.

Things I would ask are if they have to go to the nicu how soon will they let you out of the bed. I couldn't get out for 12 hours.

5. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I couldn't lay on my back either, but the c-section was no problem. I got an epi and never really even thought about it...plus, they gave me something for nausea in my IV, so that helped with any sickness that might occur. I could never lay on my back for my u/s towards the end, but it never crossed my mind once I was being prepped for c-section..the meds took care of all of that.

6. chadanddan

chadanddan Active Member

I can totally relate on all levels!

I have not been able to lie on my back since I was 18 weeks. I started taking a pillow to my appointments - so I have one under my head and lay on my left side with my pillow in between my legs.... now I can lay there all day long and look at my little babes! I was not able to lay on my back when I was pregnant with DS so my doc was well aware of how "difficult" I was :)

Are you sure you need a C section? Both of my babies were breach (and I can think of nothing worse than a C section), one transverse and one footling until 31 weeks and have been head down ever since. I went through the C section issue with my doc and he said that they can and would do my section with me laying on my side. Also as an FYI, I had to deliver my DS on my side as when ever I was on my back not only was it unbearable for me, it turned out that his heart rate would drop also.

Talk to you doc about all your concerns, and stay positive! GL.

7. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

My incision is about 5 inches. This was my second c section and they cut over top of the first incision. Both healed nicely. They were bumpy at first but now they are flat. As for being on your back. I am assuming that you have trouble because the babes push on your blood supply which causes you to feel faint. During the C section they will pump fluid in you via IV to keep your blood pressure regular which will help the faint feeling. If it is pain that happens when you are on your back you wont feel a thing because you will be numb from the nipple line down. The only thing the anesthesiologist told me was sometime people panic during the C section because they can't feel their chest rising when they are breathing because they are numb but you still are breathing. If you are aware of this then it doesn't freak you out. I didn't use anything after the c section but their are probably some abdominal binders out there that may help with some of the incisional pain. Best of luck

8. Valyre

Valyre Well-Known Member

During my c-section, my blood pressure dipped and I did feel like I was going to pass out. It had nothing to do with the babies or lying on my back, though, and within seconds they gave me some medication that brought me right back to normal-ish feeling. All you need to do is tell them that you feel faint.

For me, the big thing was the nausea, but EVERYTHING that I encountered during my pregnancy made me feel sick or get sick. The anti-nausea meds they gave me before the OR made me feel sick. :rolleyes: If you don't have that problem already, I doubt you'll develop it during the c-section.

The biggest thing I wish I knew before my c-section was how good it felt when they pulled the babies out. All of that pressure and weight on my body was gone and a wave of relaxation hit me. I would have jumped for joy if I could have moved.

One thing I read here that helped is ask for a pair or two of the panties they give you post-op. The material covered my incision but didn't stick to it. I hand washed and wore those for probably the first 2 weeks. Also, like a pp said, get up and walk around (even if it's only to the bathroom) as soon as you're allowed. Also, ask for a stool softener to help prevent constipation.

It doesn't take long for the incision to heal so you can move around. We went to the park and walked for about an hour when the boys were only a week old. That being said, even now at 4.5 months, the incision is sensitive to the touch. It's like the skin is sore, but not so much that I think about it all the time.

9. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I didn't want one either- I understand your fear. But, if you have to (& I would recommend a vaginal birth, if you could) :youcandoit:

1.) I think every twin mommy can't lay straight on her back- it hurts and generally doesn't feel good. You are not alone. I don't know what they do, but you don't feel bad on the table. Maybe it's the drugs.

2.) The operation itself is boring. You lay there. You hold DH's hand. You wait. & wait. & wait. Afterall, you are getting SUPER close to holding your babies- something you've wanted to do for so long.

3.) After the operation- like the pp said. Use the hospital underwear. I only wore my own underwear the day I went home. It's stretchy and disposable. I changed it when I changed my pad. It'll hurt to get up the first time, but each day do get up and go for a walk. Sometimes my walk was to the nursery to retrieve the babies* (which you are NOT a bad mom for sending them to... you need to rest as well and hospitals are not good about letting people rest).

4.) Scarring is not bad- I went in for my 6 week followup appointment Monday and the doc said I'm looking great- it will be an invisible line. I actually wish they would have done a vertical incision verses the traditional bikini one I have. The bikini cut gave me cut abdominal muscles, or as I like to call it, Christmas Tree fat- it hangs down and gets wider like a tree. One thing I did not know (apparently this is a secret of C-Section womanhood) is that it smells. I guess due to not getting a ton of air, your C-Section area may have a funk. I use a crystal deoderant from Whole Foods, applied not on the scar but on each side. DH has a sensitive sniffer and I doubt we'd be able to resume activity with the full-fledged funk. :air_kiss:

Take heart- you may not need a C-Section and if you do, it's not terrible. What I will say for the C-Section is that I would rather recover from major surgery, which a C-Section is, than be pregnant from about 32 weeks on with twins. It's easier.

Good luck,

Michelle

10. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I second Valyere - once the babies were out, all the pressure was gone gone gone - what a relief! I was not on my back long at all from the time I was laid down until the babies were born - I would be surprised if it were more than 15 minutes, it didn't seem like it.

My scar looks great - already extremely faint and nowhere close to hip to hip!

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think it is perfectly normal to be worrying about a c-section (or even a vaginal delivery) :hug:
    I had a c-section and it really wasn't that bad.
    1. Before I laid down, they gave me the spinal and helped me lay down, I could feel nothing from the neck down. I did feel like I was going to pass out but I think that was nerves more then anything. In the later stages of my pregnancy, I could not lay on my back at all either. I am not sure how long the c-section actually took but to me it felt like it went fast.
    2. My scar is not from hip to hip. It's probably a couple of inches beneath my belly button.
    3. The hospital also gave me a belly band after the surgery, it helped me heal quickly. I would also recommend to have help on hand when you get home, if possible, so you can rest and recover. Don't try to be superwoman! Those first couple of days I spent a lot of time cuddling babies and my DH did the dirty work (changing diapers).

12. Zevy

Zevy Active Member

Ditto that my C-section wasn't awful.

The spinal takes away any of the pain, so you aren't really that uncomfortable. And the surgery is FAST...mine was under half an hour...maybe 20 minutes. As said, all the weight is off of you once the babies are out, and the majority of the time for the surgery is actually stitching you up AFTER. It doesn't take long for them to take your babies out. You really just end up laying there, waiting for it to be over. And then waiting for the spinal to wear off...that took about an hour.

My scar never gave me an issue. It is very low, and you can barely see it. I never even notice it. Its maybe 5-6 inches long and thin.

I didn't get a belly band, and my recovery was actually quite smooth. It was very difficult to walk for a day or so but they make you get up and practice very quickly. I also couldn't pick anything up for awhile. But I had no problems breastfeeding and was still able to 'live in' with my son. They gave me pain killers to take home for a week, but I actually only needed them for 3 days or so. Within a week, I was walking fine and was just overly cautious in picking up anything heavy or bending over.

its normal to be nervous. :) I talked to my midwives before the surgery so I would have a good idea of what was going to happen to me, and I had the surgeon tell me what was going on while it was happening. Again, it is really fast.

13. kellmcguire

kellmcguire Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who answered my questions!!!!

I feel a little more relieved about it. Of course, I would prefer a vaginal birth, but my girl twin is not head down and my OB is encouraging a C-section to avoid problems with her.

Every response was great!! Thank you again!!!