C-section: things I wish I knew!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by djessup, Sep 21, 2008.

1. msamoyedny

msamoyedny Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Ourjoy2008 @ Sep 24 2008, 03:30 PM) [snapback]995616[/snapback]
    All of this information is really great, I know it will come in handy in a few weeks for me (as of right now they are both transverse) But I have noticed no one really talks about when you are able to eat? Do you even feel like eating?

I had my c-section at 12:30pm and I had dinner that night. No one restricted when or what I could eat after surgery. As far as I could remember, I was hungry.

2. missymack2003

missymack2003 Well-Known Member

I had a c-section at 37wks. 5 days, I went into early labor and then was admitted. My experience was as follows.
    - I was shaking/freezing going into the c-section but everything went just fine, it probably was just nerves:)
    - I didn't feel the spinal epidural at all, maybe because I was nervous and my mind was elsewhere.
    - they didn't tie my hands down and they gave me the catheter after the spinal which is usually reccomended
    - all I felt during the surgery was the tugging and pressure, also the very weird feeling of each baby being lifted out, nothing too uncomfortable though.
    - I heard the staples going in afterwards but couldn't feel anything
    - I felt very sick once they got me to the recovery room, I thought I was going to throw up but didn't
    - Getting up and walking that first time was definately the hardest thing to do, after the first time it got easier and easier
    - I let my girls go to the nursery twice during my stay. I was bf so I pumped so they could feed them. This didn't hurt my milk supply at all, the girls actually started gaining weight before they left the hospital.
    - My milk came in 3 days pp and the girls did great bf, I had a LC come twice during feeding sessions which was a HUGE help
    - Passing gas wasn't fun, but I felt so much better afterwards, it's good not to take visitors during that time if you know what I mean:)
    - When they took my catheter out I was unable to pee on my own so they had to put it back in, I don't know if that has happened to anyone else but it was horrible. My body forgot how to pee for some reason. It resolved itself once they took it out the 2nd time.
    -I took my meds as soon as I could and didn't skip any doses, this really helped me. I also asked for the laxatives too.
    ****TRY TO GET ANY REST YOU CAN GET*****TAKE IT EASY AND LET OTHERS HELP YOU AND THE BABIES ESPECIALLY THOSE FIRST DAYS THAT YOU ARE RECOVERING***DONT WORRY ABOUT CHANGING THE DIAPERS IN THE HOSPITAL, YOU WILL HAVE A MILLION CHANCES TO CHANGE YOUR BABIES DIAPERS, BELIEVE ME****
    Each Mother's experience with a c/s is going to be so different, I agree that it is best to do what you feel comfortable with.
    Good luck!

MJ

3. alliandre

alliandre Well-Known Member

QUOTE(angelf @ Sep 23 2008, 03:27 PM) [snapback]993980[/snapback]
    To all of you who say to send your babies to the nursery at night... you don't feel like this impacted when your milk came in or how much you had? While I know that I will need the sleep, I don't want to sacrifice my milk supply for it. I really want to give it my best shot at bfing 2. What are your thoughts?

My girls were both in the NICU so I wasn't able to keep them with me and I never had problems with my supply. I was also pumping the entire time and that may have made a difference, but sometimes now I want a full nights sleep and DH will give the girls bottles and it doesn't seem to affect my supply at all. If you are worried, just ask the LC. After all, that's what they're there for!

4. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

-i dont' know if anyone said this already, but when you're lying there, you feel like you can't breathe. don't worry, you are! i think you're just so numb that you can't feel it. a thread like this was posted right before MY c/s, and someone had mentioned that, and i'm so glad they did, or i probably would have freaked out during the operation.
    -i am THE BIGGEST baby out there, and my c/s went great. (after i puked a bunch of times from teh spinal), i just layed there and smiled knowing my babies were coming out safely. while sewing me back up, my doc was talking about Sex and the City :p
    -you will probably get the shakes afterwards. just try to relax. i called the nurses to let them know, and they helped me to relax (you don't want to stress out your incision)
    -WALK WALK WALK!!! it's painful at first, but you will recover SO MUCH quicker. i took my girls for a walk around the halls, dh and i went for a walk to the nursery...
    -TMI: every time you stand up, you're going to bleed a lot. and clot. :bad:
    -let the nurses help you shower. don't be shy. there were a TON of people in the OR during your c/s that saw you naked! :p
    - after the surgery, you are taken (well, i was anyway) to the recovery room, where you are all by yourself for like 45 minutes, while the spinal wears off. its a little lonely,and you're excited to see your babies.
    -the next morning they took the IV out of my hand (bye bye pain med drip! ) to get me to walk. from there you had to make sure you ASKED for your pain meds (taken orally after that).
    -oh yeah, one more thing... if your dh/so is queasy... my dh was sitting next to me and my doc all of a sudden says, "dad, you wanna see your first daughter?" and he immediately stood up, and then i saw him SLOWLY sit back down... ivana's head was sticking out of my stomach! i'm surprised he didn't faint!

5. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

Had mine night before last.

Shook so badly after for 2 hours, I couldn't hold the babies. Demerol took care of it really well.

Even though bf was delayed, Ive been able to do it - I was really worried.

6. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

Things I wish I knew or had done:

- Gas pains are pretty bad. Pass gas if you need to (no matter who is in the room) because holding it in results in horrible pain.
    - I was not allowed to eat solids (i could have popsicles, jello, chicken broth) until I passed gas. My c-section was at 8 a.m. and I couldnt eat after 8 p.m. the night before and didn't end up passing gas until around 3:00 a.m. the day after my c-section. My nurse came in that morning to check me and I was so excited to tell her that I had passed gas and wanted food. I was so hungry.
    - If you are not planning on breastfeeding, take a tight sports bra to help prevent your milk from coming in.
    - Get up and walk as soon as possible. Hurts like heck, but it gets better.
    - Shower as soon as possible (have DH or the nurse help you). i still wasn't very steady and DH kept coming in to check on me.
    - There will still be a lot of bleeding after your c-section. I didn't realize this (I knew there would be some, just not that much) and I was shocked the first time they got me out of bed about 4 hours after my c-section. DH was helping me stand while the NA cleaned me up but I think DH almost passed out. You might want to warn him as well.
    - When I got home, I went to bed that night (propped up by a few pillows) but tried to get out of bed to get one of the babies and I couldn't get out of bed. I couldn't sit up, roll, anything and I was horribly upset. DH ended up getting up with the kids and feeding them and I had to have him help me out of bed and I slept in the recliner downstairs for about 4 or 5 nights. I was used to using the hospital bed to raise/lower me and my bed at home doesn't do that!

7. PJ

PJ Well-Known Member

My c-section wasn't too bad at all..very easy recovery for me.

I did not have my hands tied down - so don't freak if they don't tie you down.

One thing that really surprised me though was that one side of my incision was a lot more sore than the other side. Turns out the side that the doctor was on hurt a lot more and this is very common. So if only one side hurts - or if it hurts more - this is normal. If you can remember what side the doc was on it, it will probably be from that.

Use your bed to help you get out of bed. I always put my bed all the way in the sitting up position first and then lifted myself slowly up from there. Once I got home into my own bed I had to sort of roll out of bed the first few days because my muscles were so weak. I was used to doing the pregnant roll out of bed though so it wasn't so bad.

I was hungry and wanted to eat - if you get the OK from the nurse/doc go ahead and eat.

When you do walk - try to walk standing as straight up as you can..try not to hunch.

8. april mcdaniel

april mcdaniel Well-Known Member

QUOTE(annelily2000 @ Sep 22 2008, 12:35 AM) [snapback]991042[/snapback]
    The only one I can think of right now is the itching. My whole face was itching and it really did not dawn on me until my Doc came in and saw me rubbing my face and asked me if I wanted some benadryl. Apparently the itching is a side effect from the pain medication.

I hear you--Benadryl did nt help--they tried 3 other meds, but the itching didnt go away until 2 days later. My mom had to run all over town to find my a back scratcher.

I also didnt realize that I would bleed as heavy after a c section. Ihad my first born vaginally and bled pretty bad, but after the twins I bled for around 7 weeks. It was awful

Try to stay off of your feet--I swelled big time

9. dawncmc98

dawncmc98 Active Member

I haven't had the boys yet but with my daughter I had a schedueled C/S at 38 wks because she was breech.

It was really good. The only thing I felt was when the put the spinal in I had intense pain in my left hip for a few moments. When they were pulling Em out I felt the tugging. I did not want my arms tied so they did not do it.

I had my midwife with me taking pictures and video.

After you get the shakes terribly but they put warm blankets on me.

I nursed Emmalina in the recovery room.

I had her on Tuesday and my milk came in on Friday.

After my section I was up walking that night. Cath came out the next day. I ate and drank. I had trouble going to the bathroom so they gave me a stool softener.

I chose to send her to the nursery at night in case it was hard for me to get up but they brought her in for feedings. I had visitors often. Sometime I fell asleep on them and they got the drift and left!

I stayed for 5 days. More because I wanted the rest there before coming home with her!!!

10. BaylorGirls

BaylorGirls Well-Known Member

Great advice all around! I was really nervous about having a c-section, but Twin A was breech and I really didn't have a choice. The recovery wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

I had an emergency c-section, so I had a vertical incision rather than the bikini-line incision. The best thing after my surgery was that they wrapped my belly in an abdominal binder (think big ace bandage around your middle). It made getting up and moving around the first few days so much less painful because it supported the muscles. I wanted to take it home with me!

Also, I had heard stories about not being able to drive for 6 weeks afterward. I asked my doc at my follow-up visit and he said if I had a car with power steering and power brakes, then he'd clear me to drive after 2 weeks. Very important since my girls were in the NICU!

11. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Drinking lots of water thinking it will help your body pee--it doesn't work!! I was begging my husband to get a nurse to cath me so I could empty my bladder--miserable. Sorry if TMI.

12. Neumsy

Neumsy Well-Known Member

JUst read this having found out that baby B is still breech (I'm only 25 weeks, so we have time!) and will likely have to have a c-section.

I'm. Bloody. Terrified.

I had Owen vaginally, so I had no idea what to expect. I'm such wimp. And I don't know what to expect, either, as I'm in the UK and I don't know how much will be different.

13. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

Ask for dissolveable stitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And WALK WALK WALK WALK WALK!!! ASAP!! Within the first 12 hours!!!

14. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

Oh and start taking laxatives (or something similar) about a week before... This will help with your first bowel movement post op! I did this the last two times and let me tell you, it made ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!

15. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

Mine went smooth and very uneventfully.

I was nervous about going in the OR and getting the spinal and the shaving :FIFblush: . Honestly at that point I was so ready to see my boys and so worried (i had been in hospital with pre-e for a week) that none of that phased me at all.

I felt like the operating table was tilted the whole time - this is common and it's really not crooked no matter how many times you ask them. You won't fall off either!

There was extreme pressure, but not so much pain as they were pulling the babies out. Both babies were rushed to the NICU so I only got a quick glance as they were going in the incubators - it WILL be ok if this happens to you too.

If you are on mag you may not be able see the babies in the NICU for 24 hrs. Take a camera or video camera - that was my lifeline to the babies in the NICU that first day. A sweetheart of a nurse took me down in my bed late, late that night when I FINALLY got to see and touch my baby boys for the first time.

If you mash a pillow into your belly it helps tremendously in standing up. The first time you stand up will be the most excrutiating thing you do, it only lasts a little bit though and you just have to suck it up and get moving - preferrably to a shower. Keeping moving will keep it from hurting as bad.

You have to ask for pain meds and stool softeners/laxatives - ask for them every time you can while you are in the hospital. Have someone who can think straight (esp if coming off mag sulfate) write down what times you can ask for them. Between the NICU times, pumping, pain meds, gas medicine I couldn't remember and I think it's ridiculous that you are supposed to. Once DH got the point that his engineer wife really *couldn't* figure out the times he fixed me a schedule and all was good.

When walking it helped to push the wheelchair so I didn't feel as unsteady. I would ride to the NICU and see the boys and push it back. The other way just made me hurt while I was trying to see the babies.

Pump or nurse as much as you can, but skip one at night while you can and take a break for you to sleep. You will greatly need it and you can't do that as easily at home. Take your nursing pillow and don't be shy, monopolize the LC if you need to!

Take it slow and don't push your body. You will know if you are overdoing it and that won't be good for you or your babies.

16. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

Make sure you get pics of DH in scrubs! They look so good.

Before you go to the OR they are going to make you drink some pretty nasty stuff. I'm not good about drinking things.

My DH was not allowed into the OR until after I got my spinal. We thought he would be able to be with me the whole time.

Once I got to the OR I was sitting on the table and they were giving me the spinal. After they were done they pushed me back. It freaked me out, I thought I was going to fall, so I pushed forward. (Wasn't supposed to do that).

Once you are done take the pain medications, the gas relief and the stool softeners. And continue to do so! I was constipated for a month.

They would not let me eat after the c-section. I was starving. I couldn't eat 12 hours before the surgery, and they wouldn't let me eat for at least 12 hours after the surgery. When they finally brought me something it was a tiny grilled cheese sandwich.

You will bleed lots. For some reason I figured you wouldn't bleed as much with a c-section, but you do.

17. julesbabies

julesbabies Well-Known Member

The worst thing that I have not read here yet was that the Anethesia can cause you to get a flem build up in your lungs which will make you have to cough. IT HURTS SO BAD to cough after the surgery. One of the nurses told me to hold my abdomen when I had to cough. She showed me that taking a towel and pulling it tight against my abdomen with both hands to keep that area in while coughing would help. SHe also said, " just cough one good cough to clear it out instead of trying to hold back. Get it over." I finally did.

Also, while on the table, I was SOOO COLD... It scared me. I thought something was wrong but they said it was normal.

I also was so out of it after the surgery that I really dont remember much about nursing the babies for the first time. Luckily my doula video taped it. I did not even know she was. That was so great to watch later.

Take your pain meds. Dont be like me and think that you dont want to take them because it will effect your babies.. You do need them and you dont want to loose control over the pain.

I still bled a lot when I got home. Keep a towel or cloth diaper you dont care much about underneath where you sleep at night. You may bleed through. You will probably like to have your sheets changed frequently when you come home because you will spend more than normal amount of time in your bed. Have extra sheets handy and have people change your sheets for you when they ask you if you need help. It will make you feel better. I changed mine very day in the beginning. It was pretty hot, the month of June, etc.. Nice to have fresh sheets.

Take some of the panties that they give you to wear in the hospital for the first day or two after you get home. You will like how loose they are around your stitches area. Or wear really big panties that are loose.

You will not be able to go up and down stairs for a couple of weeks more than about 1 time a day. Set up a mini fridge and some snacks in your room or whereever you will be spending most of your time. I set everything I would need for myself and the babies up in my room and bathroom. Actually, I called my mom from the hopsital and asked her to go to the store and buy 2 card tables that I used to keep everything on. We moved everything from the babies nursery (clothes, diapers, etcc) in there and kept it all organized on those tables. I am still using one in the bathroom next to their chaning table.

You may feel very sad and weepy. I did. It was just the medicines and the pain that was disappointing me. I did not like feeling so helpless. I pictured myself dancing and floating around my house when I came home from the hospital just merrily taking care of my babies. It is a little harder than that. But, in the end, it was the most wonderful time ever. I took extra measures to make sure that I would have help, stocked fridge, etc.. when I got home.

In the end, despite all of this, it was wonderful and I would (of course) do it all again!

18. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(julesbabies @ Nov 14 2008, 03:40 PM) [snapback]1070876[/snapback]
    Also, while on the table, I was SOOO COLD... It scared me. I thought something was wrong but they said it was normal.

I was cold as well, they had warm blankets, but it too awhile to really warm up.

Take some of the panties that they give you to wear in the hospital for the first day or two after you get home. You will like how loose they are around your stitches area. Or wear really big panties that are loose.

someone on this board recommended putting a maxi pad in your underwear against your incision. That was the best idea I ever heard. It really helps.

You may feel very sad and weepy. I did. It was just the medicines and the pain that was disappointing me. I did not like feeling so helpless. I pictured myself dancing and floating around my house when I came home from the hospital just merrily taking care of my babies. It is a little harder than that. But, in the end, it was the most wonderful time ever. I took extra measures to make sure that I would have help, stocked fridge, etc.. when I got home.

The "weepiness" is normal, I don't think it's medication related, I think it's hormonal. It's very common and they will discuss this with you at the hospital. It's important to distinguish b/t weepiness and post partum depression.

19. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

Really high, microfiber underwear that I purchased at Target were great. The didn't hit at the incision line and had a little bit of stretch and hold that felt good against the incision when I was walking around.

Have the nurses put some ice in the rubber gloves as an ice pack. Especially if you have any scarring, you will have sharp, searing pains as the nerve endings reconnect and the ice gloves worked wonders.

I agree with the itchiness, I had it all over and benadryl really helped.

Bring comfy "real" clothes, and nursing tanks or bras if you think you will have a lot of visitors. I didn't want to sit around in a gown or robe with people in and out and the nursing tanks and gym pants looked a little better and were easier for breastfeeding.

Mine were in the NICU and I spent every mintue I could in there with them after I was off the magnesium - once I got home I really wished that I had gotten some sleep and trusted that they were in excellent hands.

Oh, and I agree - having someone videotape them when I couldn't go down to the NICU was great - we watched the video and it made me feel more connected to the babies that I had yet to hold (made me cry too!)!

20. intrigue329

intrigue329 New Member

I am expecting twins in May so I am nowhere near knowing whether I will need a c-section or not. But I had my first son vaginally, so I at least know what that experience is like. I tore very very badly. It took me 3 months to heal. So, some people tell me not to get a c-section because the recovery time is bad, but I don't think it could possibly be worse than the recovery time I had before. I just wanted to throw that in there to let people know that delivering vaginally doesn't always mean that you won't need as much healing time.

21. glpkkg

glpkkg Well-Known Member

QUOTE(intrigue329 @ Nov 20 2008, 03:34 PM) [snapback]1079614[/snapback]
    I am expecting twins in May so I am nowhere near knowing whether I will need a c-section or not. But I had my first son vaginally, so I at least know what that experience is like. I tore very very badly. It took me 3 months to heal. So, some people tell me not to get a c-section because the recovery time is bad, but I don't think it could possibly be worse than the recovery time I had before. I just wanted to throw that in there to let people know that delivering vaginally doesn't always mean that you won't need as much healing time.

I agree! With my first daughter I tore very badly also since she was in such a hurry to get out! I had a terrible recovery with her also. I was still hurting pretty bad when I went back to work after 8 weeks. I have also had friends who have had c-sections and had zero problems with the recovery. I guess every situation is different! Hopefully we will all have speedy recoveries this time no matter which delivery method we do!

22. jordyn25

jordyn25 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(intrigue329 @ Nov 20 2008, 04:34 PM) [snapback]1079614[/snapback]

Yeah but for the most part a vaginal delivery recovery is easier-probably the majority of people don't tear and the recovery time is so much different. I did have a friend who pushed for 2 hours and had a bad recovery.
    I for one was fine the same night and up and going the next day. I swear there was nothing wrong with me except the normal bleeding like a heavy period. And I could do everything myself the next day. It was great.
    So needless to say this thread is depressing me seeing as though at almost 36 weeks baby b is breech.

23. ashnlexi

ashnlexi Active Member

QUOTE(akameme @ Nov 14 2008, 07:54 PM) [snapback]1070888[/snapback]
    I was cold as well, they had warm blankets, but it too awhile to really warm up.
    someone on this board recommended putting a maxi pad in your underwear against your incision. That was the best idea I ever heard. It really helps.
    The "weepiness" is normal, I don't think it's medication related, I think it's hormonal. It's very common and they will discuss this with you at the hospital. It's important to distinguish b/t weepiness and post partum depression.

i am 30 wks, in the hospital for the second time because of preterm labor. they stopped it both times with magnesium.....i really really dont like that stuff and i have read a few times about ppl being on it after the babies are out... could anyone tell me why?? if i can i need to prevent myself from being back on it.. i dont do well. horrible horrible headaches, chest pain, back pain, nausea... i thought it was simply to stop labor.

24. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

Girls, I had c-section with my first pregnancy , but I stil decided to post and told about my experience and advices.

I agree with previous posters

1. Sometimes spinal will wean off much longer then they told you to. I had c-section at 11 and was told that it woudl wean of in 1-2 hours I end up to be in recovery room for 3 hours because I still could'n feel my legs.
    2. Get up as soon as you can. or will be allowed to. I had catheter until the next morning they remove it around 6 am and told me that I will not pee during 6 hours they wil lput it back. I almost failed. I peed exactly 6 hours later.
    3. WALK WALK WALK as much as you can. first time I stand up I just grab my IV stand and hug it and try to move hurt a lot but you fell much better soon.
    4. Ask about hospital pump machine. and start pumping as soon as you can it will not decrease you milk supply but It will help you to start feeding the baby as soon as you can ( my son was in nursery with IV because he had low sugar for 3 days and 2 hours after they bring it to our room they took him back under the light for Jandice so he was feed from the bottle from the begining) Hospital pump is much better then your own medela, try to get it.
    5. DO MISS PAIN MEDS it is much harder to take it under control after that. I miss my night dose couple of times because I need to ask for it. and I woek up with shaking and didn't realize why.
    6. It hurt to pee in the begining and I always feel that I will either fainted from the pain and I cry from the pain ( especially if you miss your pain med at night)
    7. On the way home ask DS to bring the small pillow and put it under the sit belt when your incision and it will make your trip home much better I used this trick everytime I went to pediatrician with my son for might be another week after I came home.
    8. I would suggest to ahve a breast pump at home by the time you get back. I didn't have one and I end up with not pumping for 12 hours It was nightmare. we went back to the hopsital to pick up our son the next day after I was dischurged and I asked to use there pumpo again because I thought my breast would blow out. and After we rented the pump until we got our pump home. ( my son didn't like to take the breast because he was started feeding with bottle so I pumped and fed him)
    If I will remember anything else I would post.

25. Melissatwins84

Melissatwins84 Well-Known Member

**the spinal block/epidural did NOT hurt (to my amazement) I was so scared of this!

* I hated the effect that the spinal block/epidural gave me, My husband would touch my legs in the hospital room, and the nurses would move me to change my pad, and I seen my legs move in the tv screen, but didn't know they were moving them! It was the weirdest creepiest feeling in my life. (well not really feeling since I couldn't feel, but it was just plain out creepy).

* The burning of your skin stinks, but it's ok :)
    * my hands were not tied down either, but things differ from hospital to hospital.
    *Don't try to sit up to see your babies, I tried this, just be patient, you'll see your babies.
    * the recovery is hard (for me anyways). It really took me about 4 - 5 weeks to get back to my normal self. I had TONS of stabbing pain just on one side of my incision. I thought I would never be back to normal, but I am back and as good as ever! This may be because I couldn't really relax for three weeks, I was in and out of the NICU visiting my babies.
    * You swell horrible after your c-section. My feet and legs hurt so bad to try to walk on them, they were so tight.
    * I was scared to death of getting the epidural and cathiter out, it didn't hurt.
    * My husband took my first shower w/ me and helped me through everything.
    *Constipation is horrible. I couldn't go for like a week-week and a half later.

26. Eeyoregirl

Eeyoregirl Well-Known Member

Why in the hell would someone be strapped down? That is so not gonna be me! I HATE hospitals with a passion. I was planning on a midwife home birth until we found out we were having twins, I have bad issues with hospitals and their rules!

27. abr0893

abr0893 New Member

Hi

I am still pregnant with my twins but had a c-section with my son. I was hoping to go totally natural but it didn't work out that way. I will also probably be having a c-section with my twins.

My recommendations after a c-sections are:

1) Take the pain medication! Ask for medication if you have to. If you can have some between scheduled meds use them. I never thought I would but it helps. I hate pain medication, but when you need it,it is better to take it and stay ahead of the pain and not let it get too bad! That is from both personal and professional experience.

2) Make sure you breathe, cough, laugh. Ask for a pillow to put over your incision to help with the pain.

3) Gas happens! So do accidents. I was very surprised that I couldn't make it to the bathroom the first couple of days.

4) Walk. It hurts, but it helps to move.

5) A c-section is not as bad as I once thought. I'm sure it will be more difficult this time with a 10-11 month old and twins.

Amy

28. Valyre

Valyre Well-Known Member

I haven't had a C-Section but I thought the results of a recent study would be good information.

Study Link
    Original Article Link

QUOTE(AP Article)
    C-sections best for baby when close to due date
    By STEPHANIE NANO, Associated Press Writer – Wed Jan 7, 2009

NEW YORK – Babies do better after a scheduled Caesarean section if they're born no sooner than seven days before their due date, a new large study of U.S. births shows. Those delivered earlier had more complications, including breathing problems, even though they were full term, the researchers reported in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine. Even just a few days made a difference, they said.

The findings offer important guidance to the growing number of women who face planned C-sections. And the study supports recommendations that elective C-sections be scheduled after 39 weeks unless tests show the infant's lungs are fully mature. Due dates are set at 40 weeks gestation and infants are full term at 37 weeks.

"Take your due date and subtract seven and any one of those seven days is fine," said one of the researchers, Dr. John Thorp, of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine.

He delivered a healthy baby girl on Tuesday after persuading her mother to wait a few more days for a C-section, even though last week would have been more convenient for both mother and doctor.

"We bit the bullet and did it at the right time," said Thorp.

The rate of Caesarean sections in the United States is at an all-time high, accounting for about 31 percent of births. There are lots of reasons: older moms, multiple births, the threat of malpractice lawsuits, the preference of mothers and doctors and the risks of having a vaginal birth after a previous Caesarean. In 2006, a government panel urged women not to seek a C-section without a medical reason; surgery brings risks and babies born by Caesarean have a greater chance for respiratory problems.

In the new study, the researchers, led by Dr. Alan Tita of the University of Alabama at Birmingham, examined a C-section registry from 19 academic medical centers to see how many of the surgeries were being done before the recommended 39 weeks and if the timing made a difference in the risk of complications.

They focused on 13,258 women who had a single child at a planned Caesarean and who had previously given birth the same way. Excluded were cases where medical issues warranted an early or immediate delivery. The infants were followed until they left the hospital or for four months.

More than a third of the C-sections were performed before 39 weeks, the researchers found. Those delivered at 37 weeks were twice as likely to have health problems, including breathing troubles, infections, low blood sugar or the need for intensive care. Fifteen percent of those born at 37 weeks and 11 percent born at 38 weeks had complications, compared to 8 percent of the babies delivered at 39 weeks. The only death was an infant born at 39 weeks.

The biggest difference was in breathing problems, with a fourfold increase for those born at 37 weeks compared to 39 weeks. Babies born by C-section already have a higher risk of breathing trouble than those born vaginally; labor helps clear the lungs of fluid.

The risk of complications also increased for births after 41 weeks, but there were few births in that category, the researchers said.

Tita said the researchers didn't know the reasons behind the chosen delivery dates. They speculated that some mothers might want to deliver as soon as the fetus reaches full term, or an earlier time may have been more convenient for the mother or doctor.

Dr. Michael Greene, of Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, noted the research showed that there's even an increased risk of complications in the last few days before the 39th week. That's something most doctors wouldn't suspect, he said.

"I generally try to wait to 39 weeks, although I confess that I'm as guilty as anybody else with a busy practice and scheduling being what it is," said Greene, who wrote an accompanying editorial in the journal. "I really hadn't thought much about it until now."

The study only looked at live births, and didn't account for the small risk of the fetus dying while waiting to reach 39 weeks, Greene said. That risk has been estimated up to 1 in 1,000, he said.

Thorp's patient in Chapel Hill, Shannon Eubanks, said she was glad that she held off a few days to reach the 39-week threshold before having her daughter, Kathleen Conley Eubanks. Her first child, 2-year-old Charlie, was born by C-section.

"It was hard to wait," said Eubanks, business manager of the political science department at the university. "I was very over being pregnant and ready to get the show on the road."

And she had another reason for wanting to deliver last week.

As an accountant, "It just killed me not to have this kid in 2008" to get the tax deduction, Eubanks said hours after delivering.

29. jordyn25

jordyn25 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add my experience.
    I heard the worst horror stories about the recovery. Mine was not bad.
    I took pain meds for 5 days and was fine-only motrin after the second day. I was able to walk and care for my babies alone. The second night in the hospital I was alone and they never went to the nursery.
    After 5 days the pain was very light and after a week barely any at all.
    My incision is almost invisible and its been 4 weeks.

I was terrified after hearing personal stories and am relieved it went how it did, so dont stress b/c its diff for everyone.

30. totalee001

totalee001 Well-Known Member

I have had two c-sections and I have had two completely different experiences with them. My oldest son was a week overdue and due to heart deceleration my doctor opted for me to have a C-section. I think that since I had never experienced anything like this before my body went though complete shock. The good thing is that I was given an epidural within an hour of being in the delivery room. The thing that stands out most in my mind is that operating table. That was the most uncomfortable table I have every laid on in my life. It seemed like the procedure took for forever. I remember being extremely cold; so cold that I had to be wrapped in warm towels. It seemed to take forever for them to sew me up and the whole time the doctors were talking about what they were going to have for lunch. (I delivered at 11:6am)

I was in the worse pain I can remember after my c-section. I could barely do anything. I took a few weeks before I was able to relax in my bed.

I had a completely different experience with the twin pregnancy. Granted, I was as big as a house and I was in a lot more pain before my due date. My delivery went very smoothly except for my fit of panic. To be blunt: I acted like a fool in the operating room :crazy:
    As soon as they put me on that table I started to panic. Once the panic started I puked everywhere. I was worried because I thought I could still wiggle my toes. After I finished puking the panic stopped and I was fine. The doctors allowed me to take a nap which made time go by really fast.

Recovery was way better than the first time around. I was very gassy but other than that everything went smoothly. I was able to move my bowels by day two. I was given stool softeners twice a day so everything "went smoothly". My scar even looks better this time around. My doctor promised me he would cut away all of the old scar tissue (Being African American we tend to keloid). My scar looks so good now.

So, I had one not so good experience and one better experience. You really don't know what kind of experience you are going to have until you experience it. Just stay positive and everything will be fine.

31. Eeyoregirl

Eeyoregirl Well-Known Member

I talked to someone who had a c section at the hosp i am supposed to go to and she said her hands were loosley tied....im going to flip

32. ovatar

ovatar Member

Oh man. Good to know I wasn't alone. I wish I'd known about the constipation too. My constipation after DD was born was almost as traumatic as the labor (27 hours ending in emergency c/s) -- it brought back post-traumatic stress over *not being able to get something out of my body.* I actually developed a hemorrhoid from the constipation, not the pregnancy or birth. The only thing that ended it was drinking a gallon of water a day. I plan to do that after the twins' birth (it'll be July so I'll need it anyway), and I plan on taking stool softeners right from the day of the c/s this time.

I also wish someone had told me about the shaking/shivering from the epidural. It wasn't that bad, just embarrassing. I thought it was some personal reaction until I discovered that other people go through it too. <_<

33. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

* MAKE SURE the doctor/nurses take our your staples prior to leaving the hospital or set you up with an appointment to do so. I was completely clueless and had my staples in for nearly 3 weeks post babies before people started telling me that that isn't right! My gyno was SHOCKED!

34. tcap

tcap Well-Known Member

The two most painful parts of my c-section and recovery experience was walking the days after surgery and having a full bladder. My suggestion is to make yourself use the bathroom frequently. One time I went several hours without emptying my bladder and was in horrible pain - tears trying to move. And try to walk as much as you can to help the recovery. It took me two weeks to start being able to walk comfortably again.

35. tbeards

tbeards Well-Known Member

I also had pain from my bladder and think it was due to the catheter being in for 24 hours. Also had constipation which was so miserable! I took stool softeners and everything and it was bad pain. I couldn't go to the bathroom until the 5th day and was a terrible experience. Once that subsided, I feel like I never even gave birth and it is day 10 now. Much better than my vaginal birth, which took about 3-4 weeks to feel normal "down there". I was swollen for so long.