C-section: things I wish I knew!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by djessup, Sep 21, 2008.

1. krisdeb04

krisdeb04 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Eeyoregirl @ Jan 4 2009, 02:54 PM) [snapback]1132642[/snapback]
    Why in the hell would someone be strapped down? That is so not gonna be me! I HATE hospitals with a passion. I was planning on a midwife home birth until we found out we were having twins, I have bad issues with hospitals and their rules!

I wondered the same thing to, so since I'm in hospital now I asked. The hospital I'm at doesn't do it, but they said some hospitals do to ensure that you don't fall off of the table.

2. hrm17

hrm17 Well-Known Member

I think others have posted some of the same info, but just in case I'll repeat. All in all it really wasn't too bad, and by two weeks after I was feeling 90% recovered.

- MAKE SURE YOU PEE ON A REGULAR BASIS after the catheter is out. On day 2 I waited too long and my bladder got uncomfortably full. At that point it was hard to pee, and I was unable to move my legs without incredible pain at my incision and vaginal area. I had to take extra pain meds because it was so painful. The nurse gave me a great tip: always pee after you pump/breastfeed; that way you won't forget and your bladder won't get too full.

- I had chills/shivering the first three days after my C. I also was very cold for the first two weeks after (it was February and quite chilly outside). At first I thought it was the medication but it lingered long after I had stopped taking anything. Now I think it was probably just my body readjusting after being pregnant. Make sure you have warm clothing that's easy to slip on, and maybe bring an extra blanket to the hospital.

- My milk didn't come in until day 5 even though I was pumping every 3 hours starting a few hours after my surgery. My LC said not to expect it until the swelling in my ankles went down. Sure enough, as soon as my legs no longer looked like tree trunks, my milk came in. Once it came in, I did have some pretty bad engorgement that lasted about 36 hours. (as an aside, my babies were in the NICU, so I was exclusively pumping.)

- I did have nausea that hit me all of a sudden during the later part of the surgery (when they were stitching me up). I was told it's very common.

- BRING A ROBE (this is probably true for both C-section and vaginal). Your hospital room will be like Grand Central Station with people coming and going and they barge right in after knocking so you'll want something to cover yourself up.

3. mkhvjh

mkhvjh Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the tips! I'm only 28 weeks (tomorrow) and really don't know if I'm going naturally or by c-sec. But, it's good to know what to expect ahead of time!!!

4. vtjennygirl

vtjennygirl Member

I'm 32 weeks along with twins but had a c-sec with my DS 3 years ago. I had the shakes/shivers LONG before I had my epidural. Mine was purely hormonal. I was glad they tied me down, just in case. The body reacts in strange ways, so it's good to take those precautions.

Send them babies to the nursery so you can sleep!!

While I agree you should take the meds, I did not. I wasn't trying to be a hero, I just didn't feel they helped. I wasn't in *that* much pain, and was surprised. But after 41 hours of labor prior to the emergency c-sec, I sort of felt as though I was being spared from the pain afterwards.

I didn't take much help afterwards either...DUMB!! This time I have let my SO know how bad it COULD be so he expects to do things for me.

I was told my milk will come in because hormones are triggered by placenta delivery. Even if it doesn't right away, I plan to nurse and/or pump as much as I can to help it along. I'm scheduled to deliver at 36 weeks, which scares me. They seem to think babies will be fine that early.

I wasn't constipated, so I'll be on the watch for it this time. They may have given me drugs to help it and I wouldn't have even known! I had 7 IV's at that point!

WALK WALK WALK, even if it takes 2-3 people to help you down the hall. The first time is the hardest.

Stay as long as your insurance allows. I was allowed one more day but went home early. Again, DUMB!

Use LC's as much as you can, even if they act like you're doing things wrong. Eventually, you and babies will get it right!

Sleep when you can! I had visitors all the time and felt it necessary to entertain my then husband. As I keep stating...DUMB!

I think I will skip the late night feeding if the girls take to nursing.

I think I bled about 3 weeks or so. Take all the pads the hospital offers (I've never seen such thick pads!!) and pick up some before you even head to the hospital just in case.

GREAT THREAD!!

5. I had my twins just 3 weeks ago! Twin A was breech and twin B was transverse, so I had a scheduled c-section. Before the c-section I was so very scared, and anxious but it wasn't that bad at all! Here are a list of things I experianced.

1. You get lots of needles poked into you like your I.V, the epidural, and whatever else they need

2. I asked tons of questions about every part of the precedure starting from begining to even during postpartum. I wanted a play by play of what was to come.

3. I asked to take a tour of exactly where I'll be operated on, where I'll recover, where the room that my husband, the kids and I will stay in during our stay, and the nursery but they didnt show us that cause of precautions.

4. Getting the epidural in my back didn't hurt one bit!

5. My husband wasnt allowed to come into the operating room until they had the tarp up so I couldn't see what was going on.

6. They do sometimes strap your arms down

7. Its weird cause you will feel a lot of tugging during the surgery

8. I was very shaky and got sick to my stomach cause of the epidural

9. Make sure the nurses stay on track of your meds

10. The surgery its self took an hour the prepping takes the longest

11. You will feel very hungry for about 24 hours afterwards

12. You get to hold your babies once your in the recovery room

13. If your married, do insist your husband or someone stay with you the entire time your in the hospital cause if you want your babies in the room with you the entire time like me you will need help with them cause your going to be to sore the first 24 hours to even get up. Plus having someone there with you is very comforting.

14. The first 24 hours are the worst but after that things get better, just make sure to stay on top of your meds, and get to walking asap!

15. I was perscribed 4 meds. I got Norco, Ibprofen, Iron supplements, and a stool softener. The Norco (pain killer) will be your best friend the first two weeks after having your babies.

16. Do accept help and dont be affraid to ask for it like me

17. Bring stuff to the hospital to entertain you and whomever is staying with you

18. Don't be affraid to ask the nurses anything cause they are there to HELP you!

19. They will feed you hospital food and yes it sucks!

20. Every womans experiance with childbirth is different so keep an opened mind about everything but do ask questions lots of them, and do let the nurses help you with whatever you need.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU WOMEN MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR BABIES!

6. atina

atina Well-Known Member

Well thanks ladies for sharing your experience. But since I will deliver by c section, reading your comments petrify me more than ever. I want to enjoy the birth of my long waited boys instead of wasting those precious first days being in pain.

What is the most effective medication to treat c section pain??? in the hospital where I am currently at bedrest they told me brufen. Has anybody taken more effective pain killer? thanks for sharing.

7. jato63@aol.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Ok this may seem dumb but I am a preety big girl before this set of twins and have that little belly flap thing lol how will the csection work with that... I mean how will i keep that area dry... will I swell.. I am only asking this because I am 31 weeks and my babies are transverse and breech and are running out of room to turn, as a matter of fact they haven't turned in the last two u/s, unlike my last set of twins. I am really nervous...

8. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I took my own supply of meds to the hospital. (never tell them if you do they will take them away from you) I took a stool softener the moment I could eat anything (Colace) and I think I took two a day. ALso PEAR JUICE is your friend !!!!!! Trust me it works better than prune juice and tastes a whole lot better as well. You can mix it with some apple juice if you wish. Take a ton to the hospital as well as have a ton when you return home.

I also took snacks with me and put in my hospital bag (don't tell your dh or HE will eat them). If you feel hungry when you return from the OR you can sneak some food. MOST LIKELY if you feel like eating you will not get nauseated and be sick. If you don't feel like eating, don't even attempt it. Probably best to start with a sip of juice first as a trial run. I know nurses can be a bit obsessive with the first foods after OR but you aren't under anesthetic you had a spinal.... Just don't tell them.

Yes you need to ASK for pain meds and if they don't come, ring the bell again they might have got tied up and /or forgot. Keep on top of taking the meds. (again I had my own supply which helped).

If you are still in pain and due to go home, make sure they send you home with a prescription. ASK the doctor for this while he is there in your room. The nurse cannot write out a prescription for you.

I didn't get to see my girls for 12 hours after the c/s due to my dizziness, tiredness, and a ton of bleeding. It is ok they are being taken well care of and they will wait for you and they will KNOW you.

Take a picture of you with them ASAP because you will likely blow up like a balloon the next day. Ask every nurse, visitor to take your picture cause you will not have enough. Put on a bit of make-up as well and fix your hair. YOu end up with everyone else in the pictures except for the mom !!!!!!! YOU have to ask people !!!

My milk came in day 4 -- the first 2-3 days I hand expressed the 1 mls of colostrum into a syringe (the LC helped me). She told me to continue to express 8 times a day so I would write it down when I did it last. I only gave 4 hours or so at night to rest. They took the colostrum to the special Care to give to the babies, or I took it down. I would attempt to feed them in Special care then I would pump afterwards. Mine also got formula but I continued to try to bf and one baby went almost 3 weeks or more and then latched on and didnt' want a bottle. So just because they don't "get it" right away it doesn't mean they will NEVER bf. Even a month later, put them on and see...

I used up a TON of maternity pads even when I got home and bled for 7 weeks or more.

You will cry on day 2 or 3 with the BABY BLUES. You can try not to but it will still hit you. It helps to know it is coming.

I agree with a pp about getting rid of a nurse you find who is mean. Or even a LC who is too pushy. I think people can try to push new moms around because they don't know better. You don't need a Natzi LC either.

Rest as much as you can because it will get you ready for when you go home.

Take pictures of your babies at whatever stage they might have equipment. You can see their progress in the pictures.

I didn't have visitors mostly because we didn't know anyone here, but I only missed not having my parents there. I was glad i was able to rest when I wasn't with the babies. You might not want to tell anyone when you go into the hospital.

Heather

9. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(heathertwins @ Mar 30 2009, 10:07 PM) [snapback]1251737[/snapback]
    I took my own supply of meds to the hospital. (never tell them if you do they will take them away from you) I took a stool softener the moment I could eat anything (Colace) and I think I took two a day. ALso PEAR JUICE is your friend !!!!!! Trust me it works better than prune juice and tastes a whole lot better as well. You can mix it with some apple juice if you wish. Take a ton to the hospital as well as have a ton when you return home.

I also took snacks with me and put in my hospital bag (don't tell your dh or HE will eat them). If you feel hungry when you return from the OR you can sneak some food. MOST LIKELY if you feel like eating you will not get nauseated and be sick. If you don't feel like eating, don't even attempt it. Probably best to start with a sip of juice first as a trial run. I know nurses can be a bit obsessive with the first foods after OR but you aren't under anesthetic you had a spinal.... Just don't tell them.

Yes you need to ASK for pain meds and if they don't come, ring the bell again they might have got tied up and /or forgot. Keep on top of taking the meds. (again I had my own supply which helped).

Heather

I'm not a dr, but I have to strongly disagree with this. The drs need to monitor all your medication and by bringing your owns meds you are putting yourself at risk. The drs will give you a stool softener (mine did).

As for food, my recommendation is to wait for the nurse or dr to clear you. It's not just about feeling hungry it's about slowly reintroducing food while your system gears up again.

A c-section is MAJOR SURGERY...and unless you are a dr, I don't recommend making your own decisions.

10. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

QUOTE(heathertwins @ Mar 30 2009, 09:07 PM) [snapback]1251737[/snapback]
    I took my own supply of meds to the hospital. (never tell them if you do they will take them away from you)

:eek: :eek: Can you imagine the liability issues here if something went wrong!!!

QUOTE(akameme @ Mar 30 2009, 09:12 PM) [snapback]1251740[/snapback]
    I'm not a dr, but I have to strongly disagree with this. The drs need to monitor all your medication and by bringing your owns meds you are putting yourself at risk. The drs will give you a stool softener (mine did).

As for food, my recommendation is to wait for the nurse or dr to clear you. It's not just about feeling hungry it's about slowly reintroducing food while your system gears up again.

A c-section is MAJOR SURGERY...and unless you are a dr, I don't recommend making your own decisions.

I agree Miriam.

I would never condone lying to hospital staff about medication. They have procedures in place to protect you, not hurt you. This is your health and well being we are talking about. It woud be devastating if something happened, you got an infection or whatever and they ended up gving you meds they thought you needed to have and it was too much because of what you had already taken. I can't voice loudly enough the dangerousness of that post (esp the bolded part) and I also can't disagree strongly enough.

11. Cocosmomma

Cocosmomma Member

I have a questions. I just read through all the posts and I'm a little confused on the bfing in the hospital issue.

1. Some of you said you pumped while in the hospital even though your milk didn't come in until days after the birth. What were you pumping then? Colostrum? Explain the theory behind that for me.

2. If you have the babies stay in the nursery overnight, and you DON'T have them bring them to you for feedings, then they feed them formula? If your milk is in and you've pumped, will they feed them your milk (do they store it for you?)

3. If they feed them formula, it won't upset the babies' stomachs switching from breast milk to formula during the course of the day/night if you are able to bf them during the day? If you have no milk or colostrum yet, will feeding them formula "ruin" them to bfing once your milk does come in?

Thank you, ladies, for your insights! I am only 20 weeks, but I am a planner and am curious about how all this will go down.

12. h2believe

h2believe Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Cocosmomma @ Mar 31 2009, 04:49 PM) [snapback]1253014[/snapback]
    2. If you have the babies stay in the nursery overnight, and you DON'T have them bring them to you for feedings, then they feed them formula? If your milk is in and you've pumped, will they feed them your milk (do they store it for you?)

This is not from experience, but the question above is something I did ask about the hospital I will be delivering at and was told that they do have a special fridge and a good labeling system so they can store your pumped milk and will make a notation to use it if it's there. I was told that I just had to make sure they notate it and the babies will get my milk. I'd recommend asking your hospital what they do... I don't know if it varies from hospital to hospital so maybe someone else can answer that for you.

13. paulacraft1

paulacraft1 Well-Known Member

You guys have covered it all but I did NOT have a C-section and still it took 5 days for my milk to come in and swelled up for 6 weeks! And.....shivered like crazy for several hours after the birth.....AND was constipated for weeks!......so C-section isn't always worse than the vaginal birth.

14. mrschenoweth

mrschenoweth Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DoubleTrouble07N09 @ Mar 29 2009, 09:30 AM) [snapback]1249199[/snapback]
    Ok this may seem dumb but I am a preety big girl before this set of twins and have that little belly flap thing lol how will the csection work with that... I mean how will i keep that area dry... will I swell.. I am only asking this because I am 31 weeks and my babies are transverse and breech and are running out of room to turn, as a matter of fact they haven't turned in the last two u/s, unlike my last set of twins. I am really nervous...

I was a pretty big girl too when I had my first son via c-section. My Dr. had me keep an small towel or rag underneath. Also, some people mentioned using a pad - that works too. I did not swell - recovery went pretty smooth.

15. mrschenoweth

mrschenoweth Well-Known Member

Many people have mentioned nausea either during or after surgery. I just wanted to share my experience as it may help to ask about this before your c-section.
    I began to feel nauseated during my c-section. I mentioned it to my anesthesiologist and he gave me something right then and there to stop the nausea and it worked! I did, however, begin to feel VERY sleepy afterward - I had to fight to stay awake so I could see my little boy when he came out. I'm not sure if it was from the medication he gave me or from the epidural itself. I am definitely going to ask about this before my c/s this time because I would rather be sleepy than throwing up everywhere!

16. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

QUOTE(atina @ Mar 27 2009, 07:40 AM) [snapback]1246823[/snapback]
    Well thanks ladies for sharing your experience. But since I will deliver by c section, reading your comments petrify me more than ever. I want to enjoy the birth of my long waited boys instead of wasting those precious first days being in pain.

What is the most effective medication to treat c section pain??? in the hospital where I am currently at bedrest they told me brufen. Has anybody taken more effective pain killer? thanks for sharing.

I just wanted to say I had a c-section March 10th, was very nervous, and it was incredibly easy for me. Just goes to show that every experience is so different. I think because it was planned (breech baby A) it was just clockwork for them. Peeing for the first time was uncomfortable but the spinal block didn't hurt, nor did the pressure of them removing the babies. I took ibuprofen and percoset after. I walked slowly that night and the next day I walked normally. I took the percoset for 9-10 days before stopping and kept up the ibuprofen (800 mg pills by the way) another few days. Recovery was pretty easy. The worst was the constipation and my BMs normalized after about a week. Percoset is strong but does constipate you. Also, let the nurse know about nauseau right away - they can do wonders for you. Lastly, just some advocacy for using the nursery. We fed all night but in between feeds they took them to the nursery for 2 - 2.5 hours so we could sleep. It was wonderfully helpful.

So there is hope :) You probably already had your c-section but I thought I'd post just in case - some experiences turn out very positive - don't be too freaked out. Good luck to you. :)

17. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

can you take something after the c-section to prepare yourself for the constipation? like take some laxatives so when you do go, it doesnt put too much strain on the incision or your bottom?

18. akameme

QUOTE(newtothis @ Apr 17 2009, 11:25 AM) [snapback]1277732[/snapback]
    can you take something after the c-section to prepare yourself for the constipation? like take some laxatives so when you do go, it doesnt put too much strain on the incision or your bottom?

They give you stool softeners.... It worked for me.

19. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

QUOTE(akameme @ Apr 17 2009, 02:29 PM) [snapback]1277740[/snapback]
    They give you stool softeners.... It worked for me.

got it. i wasnt sure if i should bring my own, LOL!

after your c-section you get to hold your babies, right?

20. akameme

QUOTE(newtothis @ Apr 17 2009, 11:59 AM) [snapback]1277829[/snapback]
    got it. i wasnt sure if i should bring my own, LOL!

after your c-section you get to hold your babies, right?

Jake was taken to the NICU so I only got to give him a kiss (we were expecting this to happen). But once they had stitched me up and wheeled me to recovery, i had Becca. In recovery they cleaned her up...but I got to hold and breast feed her within 30 (?) minutes of her being born, give or take. I don't remember all the details, but I didn't feel deprived.

My husband got to hold both of them until they took Jake.

The kids both fell right asleep, being born is quite traumatic.

21. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

sorry if any of this has been repeated but there are a lot of pages to go through.

i wish i would have known about the terrible gas pain in my back and shoulders. i thought i was going to die. frankly, that pain hurt worse than the incision.

i wish i would have known that my whole entire body was going to swell so much that i couldn't lift a fork or even open my eyes. i wore sunglasses the whole two days i was there because my eyes were so swollen.

i wish i would have known that my hospital apparently lets visitors in right after surgery. i wish they didn't because i really could have used the alone time to gather my thoughts and realize what the heck just happened.

i wish i would have known how extremely emotional i was going to be right after the surgery. a mix between just having major surgery, having children, and all the drugs is not a good combo for your brain to handle.

having a c-section was a truly traumatic event for me. all i wanted to do was to go home. i lied about having a bowel movement so that i could leave i was that miserable! i had a terrible day nurse who did nothing but give me grief and didn't even take care of me or my room. as soon as i went home after day two i recovered so much faster and happier.

22. Natalie2009

Natalie2009 Member

This information is very helpful. Last night my husband logged in to this thread and read me all of this information. We are preparing for either/or... a Csection or a Vaginal delivery. Honestly, I am indifferent. I just want whatever will get them into this world safely!

Thanks so much once again... I know more now about what to expect!

QUOTE(DLJ @ Sep 21 2008, 01:26 PM) [snapback]990262[/snapback]
    My sweet little twins were born almost 2 weeks ago and I'm finally starting to feel better after my c-section (Baby A was breech). Now that I've gone through it, I realize there's so much I wish I'd known in advance so I thought I'd share it here with the hope that other people don't have to face what I did.

1) Percocet can cause constipation. I was trying to stay ahead of the pain in the hospital and took them every chance I had. That plus the spinal led to the absolute worse medical experience I've ever had in my life. Truly, the constipation was WAY worse that the c-section and I'd even go so far as to say worse that the vaginal birth I had before. I was up and walking around like they tell you and I still had problems. I would have done so many things differently if I had known this could happen: eaten better at the hospital, taken the stool softener 2x / day and taken motrin to stay on top of the pain instead of percocet.

2) Take a shower and get the dressing tape off in 24-hours! I waited 48-hours and ended up with tape burn that was so bad, the "itchies" continued thoughtout my stay at the hospital. Apparently, it's not as bad if the tape comes off asap and a shower with baby wash helps remove the adhesive.

3) You might be able to use a "twin room" at the hospital! When onw of hte nurses came in, she said, "why aren't you in the twin stuite?" I was like, "What twin suite!?!?!?!"

I'm sure there's more and will post them as I think of them. I hope some of the info is helpful! I feel better just passing it on.

Oh- and your baby girls are ADORABLE!!!

QUOTE(orangeyaglad @ Apr 24 2009, 10:02 AM) [snapback]1286901[/snapback]
    sorry if any of this has been repeated but there are a lot of pages to go through.

i wish i would have known about the terrible gas pain in my back and shoulders. i thought i was going to die. frankly, that pain hurt worse than the incision.

i wish i would have known that my whole entire body was going to swell so much that i couldn't lift a fork or even open my eyes. i wore sunglasses the whole two days i was there because my eyes were so swollen.

i wish i would have known that my hospital apparently lets visitors in right after surgery. i wish they didn't because i really could have used the alone time to gather my thoughts and realize what the heck just happened.

i wish i would have known how extremely emotional i was going to be right after the surgery. a mix between just having major surgery, having children, and all the drugs is not a good combo for your brain to handle.

having a c-section was a truly traumatic event for me. all i wanted to do was to go home. i lied about having a bowel movement so that i could leave i was that miserable! i had a terrible day nurse who did nothing but give me grief and didn't even take care of me or my room. as soon as i went home after day two i recovered so much faster and happier.

23. Natalie2009

Natalie2009 Member

Gas pains in your shoulders, huh? that is not something I would expect either. Thanks so much for sharing that! Also, why is it that your body swells so much? Is this due to the C section? Even your eyes? Whoa!

I believe that about recovering faster at home. I will too, I'm afraid. I hate hospitals and needles and the smells... Ugh!

QUOTE(orangeyaglad @ Apr 24 2009, 10:02 AM) [snapback]1286901[/snapback]

24. Pitbullzz

Pitbullzz Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Natalie2009 @ May 4 2009, 12:09 PM) [snapback]1299730[/snapback]
    Gas pains in your shoulders, huh? that is not something I would expect either. Thanks so much for sharing that! Also, why is it that your body swells so much? Is this due to the C section? Even your eyes? Whoa!

I believe that about recovering faster at home. I will too, I'm afraid. I hate hospitals and needles and the smells... Ugh!

You better get to work woman!!!

HEY BABE!!!!!

25. Kaelan

Kaelan Well-Known Member

1. i was terrified of the pain i would have to endure when they stuck the needle in for the spinal, but they gave me morphine in the IV right before and i didnt feel the needle at all.

2. i wish someone had told me that when all was said and done i would come out with ZERO memory of the c section. If DH hadnt taken pictures i would have sworn the stork delivered them.

3, i didnt find out until i was already there that it was a Family Centered hospital which meant that aside from the NICU there was no nursery for the babies to go to at night for me to get a break. They never left my room.

4. They cathed me right before the surgery when i was really out of it. i didnt know i even had one in until afterwards when the nurse went to remove it.

5. When they remove the cath, you are asked to pee and cant go. i must have sat there 10 minutes trying to relax enough to go, and when i did it was like someone had opened a fire hose.

6. Stay on top of the pain and expect that at some point it will get really bad. Take the morphine and dont be afraid to ask for more when you need it.

7. i wish someone had told me that cutting through the nerves for the incision would mean that a month later i am now numb from my belly button to my thighs.

8. That after the babies come your room will feel like a zoo with all the nurses and perdiatrcians and lactation people that come through there constantly in a seemingly never ending stream.

9. That you will pass some of the biggest blood clots ever. Yeah, gross, i know, but its true. i swear the thing was as big as a liver.

26. charityhope611

charityhope611 Well-Known Member

This might be a silly question..but everyone keep saying if you have a c-section you won't be able to pick up your babies. I am just shy of 25 weeks so I have a long way to go and hoping for a vaginal delivery, but if C-section I want to know what to expect!

How long after your c-section were you up and moving around, feeling normal, well at least close too, standing upright, holding your babies. Being able to take care of yourself and the babies?

27. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

I was up less then 24 hours after c-section. but my son was in NICU so I wasn't able to hold him until day 3 when he came back from it but he was taken under the light because of the high billirubin. so I actually hold him in my hand only 6 days after c-section when he was discharged. and I was caring him around the house.

will see how it will be with twins ( c-section on 6/30) but I woudl say the worse days is second and 3rd when you more holding the IV stand and pushing it and grabbing yourself closer to it ( this is how I start walking) but after 5 days at home I was walking pretty normal and holding the baby. the worse was sitting /laying and getting up.

28. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

QUOTE(charityhope611 @ May 25 2009, 10:47 AM) [snapback]1327159[/snapback]
    This might be a silly question..but everyone keep saying if you have a c-section you won't be able to pick up your babies. I am just shy of 25 weeks so I have a long way to go and hoping for a vaginal delivery, but if C-section I want to know what to expect!

How long after your c-section were you up and moving around, feeling normal, well at least close too, standing upright, holding your babies. Being able to take care of yourself and the babies?

I am having my twins on Monday, but with my other two the day of the c-section I wasn't allowed to get out of bed to pick up the babies. The next morning they took the IV and the cath out and I was able to move around, shower, pick up my babies. I was sore, but functional and with each day it got easier. My OBs have told me that it shouldn't be any different this time around.

29. LovingHappyHome

LovingHappyHome Active Member

All this info. has been so very helpful!!! I absolutely fear surgery of any kind, especially c-sections. I didn't have to have one with me first two pregnancies. Now, with the twins, I feel like the reality is greater. Hearing everyone's stories and reading your tips has eased the tension a bit, should it be a journey that I have to take. Thanks!!!

30. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I am currently 28 weeks pregnant with identical boys and am scheduled for my third c-section 9/1/09. My previous two c- sections were 100% elective - I am a HUGE fan - both have been super easy - the second even better than the first. Please keep in mind that my experiences are based on singleton c-sections - here's what I've learned:

1. Spinal vs. Epidural - I had an epidural with my first baby and it made me very drowsy - not sick, just sleepy. I did not even know that I was having a spinal the second time until the anesthesiologist came to go over the "game plan" right before surgery. I have since learned that a lot of people have an epidural the first time, then spinals with subsequent c-sections. I loved the spinal - no drowsiness - it made the delivery much more fun. Also, the epidural left one of my legs numb until bedtime (I had a 7 a.m. c-section), whereas I could move my legs about an hour after my c-section was complete with the spinal (the pain was still blocked, but I could move). I felt like the spinal was more effective from a pain perspective as well.

2. Nerve endings - Several people have mentioned long-term loss of feeling around their incision - I had this with my first delivery. My OB told me that it is common and that you can continue to regain feeling for up to a year after the c-section - after I year, whatever feeling you've lost will not return. I did regain all the feeling prior to the one-year mark, but I can't remember how long it took - months for sure. I did not have the loss of feeling with my second c-section.

3. Scarring - You will be amazed at how tiny and faint your scar becomes - and how fast! I was too chicken to look at it for weeks the first time, then was pleasantly surprised when I finally did. I realize different skin types scar differently, but my friends who have had c-sections all agree that it becomes fairly invisible.

4. Tied arms - My arms were not tied down either time - I delivered at different hospitals, in different cities.

5. Seeing the baby - I was able to visit with both babies as long as I wanted to as they were sewing me up - my husband held them both times. I did not feel robbed by not holding them myself and was allowed to do so as soon as I was in recovery (maybe 20 minutes after the baby came out? it's very fast).

6. Pain meds - I had been advised to take all pain meds offered - and I did so both times. I quit cold turkey the minute I left the hospital and was fine. Also, both of my OBs (again, different cities) have allowed me to drive 1 week to the day after my surgery as long as I was off the pain pills. I have had friends who didn't drive for 6 weeks and then practiced in their driveway before they hit the roads - seemed silly to me - I had no problems driving and feeling like I could apply the brakes when necessary.

7. Bathroom issues - I guess I am "lucky" that both iron and antibiotics (you will be on antibiotics to prevent infection from the surgery) made my trip to the bathroom - if you know what I mean - painless. I had even asked about the requirement to go before I would be discharged - neither hospital required that of me (although I did go both times).

8. Food - With my first c-section, I was on a liquid diet for the first day - I was starving and downed a ton of chicken broth. With my second, I was allowed to order lunch immediately after my c-section (8:30 a.m. surgery that time) and was shocked. But I was hungry and ate it. I am a big fan of the early morning c-section - I cannot imagine having to not eat all morning in anticipation of the surgery ... only works if you're scheduling, I guess.

9. Catheter - I was freaked out about the catheter - in all my c-section planning and research, I had not considered a catheter until a few days before my first c-section. I was pleasantly surprised by how well I liked it - you can't feel it going in (or out), and it was such a relief to not have to walk to the bathroom every 5 minutes! My OB ordered it removed the evening of my first c-section (12 hours later, probably), but I begged to keep it in so I could sleep in peace, which she allowed. As I mentioned above, I couldn't move one leg anyway, so it was a moot point.

10. Hospital stay - My insurance has allowed me to stay at the hospital 4 nights both times - I recommend doing so - you will have PLENTY of time to be at home with your children ... like the next 18 years! I was very happy to get lots of rest before I had to be in charge - my babies have both gone to the nursery at night, for the whole night. I am not a bf-er, but my milk came in day 3 both times, just FYI.

I guess the most surprising thing to me was that I wasn't as fragile as I thought I was - your body is incredibly resilient. I felt normal within two weeks both times, I would say - and the worst pain for me was the engorgement - yikes.

31. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I had a c-section with my first, and plan to do a repeat with my second. If you have a planned c-section, I honestly think you are blessed because going through hours of incredibly painful labor only to end up with a c really stinks! I have to say that having a c-section was not a big deal for me. I was able to go up an down stairs, carry the baby, nurse, and pretty much resume normal activities. I did have disgusting swelling while in the hospital, but that went away. I never had problems with constipation as I started docolax right away on a pharmacist's recommendation. The only thing I wish someone had told me is that you will have a big numb spot on your lower belly - possibly forever! I freaked out when I found mine and called the on-call doctor! I felt so dumb when he explained that this is normal. Anyway, my experiences were just with one baby, so two may be much more traumatic, but I really had an easy time of it (oh, and i wasn't shy about using my pain meds!).

32. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I forgot to add that I have virtually no scar from my c - it is just a little tiny line in my pubic hair area that you would never see. I do have a numb spot three years later, which really came in handy when injecting IVF meds :)

33. qfmom2009

qfmom2009 Well-Known Member

I wish I'd realized that the actual c section wasn't bad at all. The spinal was in place in less than 10 minutes.
    The thing that I was most suprised about was the fact that after the c section I was quite "out of the loop" for several hours.... Just exhausted!

34. twinsontheway09

twinsontheway09 Active Member

That my feet and ankles would be so swollen, for two weeks!! That it was worse than the actual c-section itself.

35. faustjena

faustjena Well-Known Member

1. Get the dressing tape off ASAP. It hurts, be ready, but the earlier the better.

2. After they took my staples out (no pain by the way) they put suri-strips that is white tape. Hours later my entire belly and thighs were COVERED in a rash and welts. they wouldn't take the strips off and I took benadryl one day and it KNOCKED ME OUT. So instead I coated my body in hydrocortizone cream to keep from scrathing my belly. after a few days the strips started falling off and I "helped" them come off completely. I wish someone would have warned me this was a possible side effect.

3. The actual c-section is very fast even for twins, just request the most experience OB at your practice and DON'T BUDGE on your request. If you have shoulder pain tell the anasteisologist right away. It's super common but feels like a knife in your shoulder..but they can fix it with their magic right away! They stay right next to you the whole time and make sure you are fine and give you a play by play as to what is happening. Mine was an angel.

4. After the first few days you won't be so sore. I only needed motrin for a few days and after a week you almost forget you had surgery. I was prepared for much worse.