C-section: things I wish I knew!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by djessup, Sep 21, 2008.

1. lorileahb

lorileahb Well-Known Member

These are a few things from an emergency c-section - vertical incision as opposed to scheduled, horizontal section:
    1. There may be a reason you can't urinate after catherization - I had a blod clot in urethra that made urinating after catherization not possible. Re-catherization was difficult/painful until they realized they had to push through the clot.
    2. Having a BM is quite painful - warm prune juice once a day finally seemed to help.
    3. Take the pain pills as you need them, but careful with the narcotic painkillers - they cause constipation.
    4. Getting around was a bit more painful than anticipated - hard to find underwear that doesn't come in contact with vertical incision.
    5. Hard not being able to pick up/take care of both babies. Learn to ask for and accept all the help offered. Maybe be prepared for the need to have in-home help until can take care of both babies.
    6. Still working with the doctor on this one - I was/am surprised to have so much bleeding from urethra as opposed to vaginally. Can apparently be caused by trauma (had doctor holding up babies head on trip to OR with prolapsed cord).

All that said, I am 8 days out and for the first time see the light at the end of the physical tunnel. Feeling better and will be stopping pain killers except for Motrin. As with most medical issues - always is better being on this side!

2. BMartinez72

BMartinez72 Well-Known Member

i wish I read these prior to the c-section.

My breast tissues swelled up with fluids and I became rock hard. I was engorged and no amount of hot water showers, pumping, nursing, or expressing helped as it wasn't breast milk engorement - it was blood flow related from the fluids they push into you!! This took time to go down and my milk didn't come in well until only afterwards - taking over a week! I slept with ice packs because it was the only thing that brought relief.

I left the steri-strips on for a week, using huge overnight pads to keep my c-section site clean, changing often. I am overweight and my belly hangs over a bit so I was even more worried about infection but it didn't happen. But eventually the strips began to itch and I took them off in desperation, but that was almost a month later, just days before the staples came out. If you wait out of terror of pain like I did, be prepared to slough off some skin with the adhesive.

Ditto on the swelling legs, ankles, and feet. OMG was it terrible. DH would massage and I would soak them but to no avail. Only time would help.

3. BMartinez72

BMartinez72 Well-Known Member

i corrected that later in my paragraph but forgot to remove the sentence. whoops!

4. sweetlaureng

sweetlaureng Member

Is there anything other than percocet that they can give us? Twin suite..sounds nice! lol

5. NascarMommy

NascarMommy New Member

This was really great to read! So far, it looks like I'm going to be going c-sec. Baby A is breech and Baby B is transverse. I know that a lot of women do c-secs and obviously live to tell the story... but I really don't want a c-sec and am almost mortified when I think of the recovery and well, getting sliced open in the first place.

I was wondering if anyone on here did this or not... but what if you schedule a c-sec and go into labor before your scheduled delivery date?

6. geetya

geetya New Member

I have the same question as the Nascarmommy. I am 35 weeks pregnant with twin boys and have a scheduled c-section at 38 weeks. I am choosing to have a c-section and still not sure if shoudl go with it. I am terrified of labour and c-section. I was wondering what if I go into labor before hand?

7. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

I wish someone would have told me the drive home from the hospital was going to be the most painful thing I had ever experienced!!! You feel every bump, acceleration and turn. Bring a pillow and plant your feet as hard as you can into the floorboards.

8. zetta

zetta Well-Known Member

On my first c-section, I wish I had asked the nurse to adjust the position of my arms -- I did with the 2nd one and was so much more comfortable.

Did you know there is a new technique to use ultrasound to visualize where to insert the needle for an epidural or spinal?

I wish I had asked how much pain meds I was allowed. The nurses were only giving me one ibuprofen and one vicodin pill, where the doctor had approved two vicodin "as needed". I was in pain unnecessarily, watching the clock for when I could ask for my next dose.

9. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

deleted - forgot I already posted ;)

10. marleigh

marleigh Well-Known Member

There is something called "trapped air" that occurs sometimes (I didn't have it with my first c-section). During the surgery, air gets in there and when they close you up, it stays there...very very painful for about 3 weeks....I thought something was really wrong with me....when for chest MRI's and everything. It hurt soooooooooo bad under my left breast and a piercing pain all the way to my upper back....like someone stuck a knife right through me. I couldn't get comfortable for nothing. Made breastfeeding impossible due to the pain. I cried alot...it was the worst.

This was my 2nd c-section and beside from the above and the nasty painful first Bowel Movement after c-section (which was very very painful too...take your time when pushing and keep taking the stool softeners they give you in the hospital). My first BM happened the day I got home and it was the first one in like 5 or 6 days so things were really packed up in there (sorry for the TMI). I literly clogged the toilet and had to plunge (again sorry for the TMI), but it was sooo hard.

Considering all, I'd do a c-section again without a doubt...but no more babies for me!!!!

11. trafficgal

trafficgal Member

So I should start this with I did not read through all 6 pages but what I did read surprised me, am I the only one who had an awful section? My babys were born in July and the incision still irritates me from time to time. Maybe it was because mine was an emergancy section but would that make such a difference?

Things I wished I knew (re emergancy sections)
    1) I know someone wrote this but I also felt like some one was standing on my chest I felt as though I could not breath I was freaking out they kept trying to calm me.

2) They did NOT tie my hands down but said if I moved them around they would have to... it was great bc my nose itched alot and I asked if I could scratch and they said YES

3) I guess I'm a different case then alot of you but the walking did alot of harm for me, maybe it was b/c inbetween teh walking I was spending alot of time siting in the NICU but all I knwo is it put me in agony and made my healing alot longer

4) I was on meds for months!!!! They said it was "normal" to be in the amount of pain I was in b/c of the trauma of the e section

5) stay ahead of the pain dont be a super hero, and if the meds they give you are not helping ASK FOR SOMETHING ELSE!!!

6) if you have babys in the NICU you may beable to get a private room FREE

12. Alchera

Alchera New Member

Thank you to everyone who has posted information here. I am 35 weeks into our pregnancy and both my baby girls are still breech. We wanted a natural birth with no pain meds but if baby A (Adara) doesn't turn buy next week our Dr. says we will need to discuss a scheduled cesarean birth. I have a few questions that I was hoping someone may be able to answer. I also did not read the entire 6 pages so I apologize in advance if I'm asking question that may have already been answered.

1)I want to have as much skin to skin contact with my girls immediately as possible after they are born. What are your experiences in this area? This is extremely important to me and I don't want to miss out on any of this important bonding time. There are now a multitude of studies that show that mothers and babies should be together, skin to skin (baby naked, not wrapped in a blanket) immediately after birth, as well as later. The baby is happier, the baby's temperature is more stable and more normal, the baby's heart and breathing rates are more stable and more normal, and the baby's blood sugar is more elevated. Also from the point of view of breastfeeding, babies who are kept skin to skin with the mother immediately after birth for at least an hour, are more likely to latch on without any help and they are more likely to latch on well. This brings me to my 2nd question...

2) Can anyone share positive experiences they have had breastfeeding after a cesarean birth? Are there medications I can take and others I should avoid if I strictly want to breastfeed my girls? Was anyone 100% certain they only wanted to breast feed and were unable to do so? If so, what were some of the reasons you were unable to immediately breastfeed and when did that change? If your babies were not able to breastfeed were they required to have formula while in the hospital and did you have any difficulty switching from bottle to breastfeeding after?

3) How long after a cesarean did it take before you were able to feed/clean/diaper babies on your own? I've heard some women say they were able to perform these tasks in as little as a few days and others have said it can take months. What are your experiences?

I feel like I have so many questions and they all relate not to my pain, but my ability to provide and bond with my daughters as soon as possible. I understand that I may not be able to have my ideal natural birth and that's alright because my babies health is the most important, however, I want to be as informed as possible so that I ca make the experience the best it can be for them.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

13. LeeandJenn15

LeeandJenn15 Well-Known Member

Thank you!! This occurred with me, too, not in my first C-section, but my second. The pain for me was in my right shoulder, shoulder blade. No matter how I moved my arm, I was in excruciating pain. I had to yell just to get through the pain - it was the worst thing I have ever experienced. It happened in the middle of the night and since the nurse was telling the Doctor "gas pains" he thought my stomach was hurting me, or he said he would have done something differently. They finally gave me a suppository (I couldn't even put it in myself!) and I was able to get relief. My DH and I will never EVER forget that night!

14. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

This is one that I did not know either. It was a bit scary/strange that I could not stop shivering.

Also

Sometimes the spinal does not work. Mine did not with my triplet c-section. I felt him cutting me and told him so. He did not believe me and cut again and I then threatened him with physical pain to his private area. It was at that time they found out they did not strap my right arm to the table. They then told me I would have to be put under because they canNOT turn you on your side after they start cutting. I asked before I went under if my DH could stay in the room and to keep me calm they said yes but just as I felt myself go under they asked him to step out of the room. They considered it an emergency C section after the spinal did not work and only OR staff can be in the room during emergencies.

15. Boo October

Boo October New Member

I am so glad to have stumbled upon this forum. I am 29 weeks now and been planning about my birth plan, well, I am edging to have a c-sect, but then again I was think of vag birth too.

I am glad to have read all your advices and experiences. It is truly inspiring.

16. pomi98@aol

pomi98@aol New Member

Hello there! So glad to have read this. I know I would not have taken it calmly! I'm only nine weeks pregnant w/ twins and I'm hoping for a vaginal birth. My first was a very successful vaginal birth. Did you have much of a choice whether to have a c section or natural?

17. leaudemiel

leaudemiel Well-Known Member

I was freaked out by the idea of being tied down and talked to my doc. Since it wasn't medically necessary, I was not tied down. Talk about your concerns!

My big "huh" was that you are awake during the surgery and can hear things. I did not get a play by play, and my husband went with the boys when they were being checked out. Suddenly I heard "now, take out the uterus." I tried not to panic. They take it out to vacuum out all the stuff (reducing post op bleeding apparently). But its pretty jarring to hear!

18. kma13

kma13 Well-Known Member

My best advice is GET UP ASAP after the section. I had HELLP and was on mag for 24 hours and not allowed out of bed, and I had a very difficult recovery as compared to all my friends who had sections. I couldn't wash my own hair for weeks and could lift my babies easily it really sucked. I plan to VBAC this time because of it. So make sure you move around as soon as they will let you.

Alchera- I breastfed following my c-section with no latch problems and had no skin to skin contact after. My DD was in special care and had to be in an isolette even though she was maintaining her body temp, even though she was tiny (3lbs 6oz) the nurses were amazed at her temp. DD was required to have formula because she was tiny and milk doesn't come in right away. I was also selfish and asked them to keep both twins in the nursery at night so I could sleep, of course I couldn't get out of bed be myself so that was part of it. This meant both babes got formula at the beginning and neither ever had problems with the breast. I BF exclusively for 7 mos well BF and EBF in bottles while I was at work. I think the early intro to the bottle helped us!

19. garden2009

garden2009 Well-Known Member

Hello ladies. I wanted to add my c-section experience even though it is not a likely scenario for you.
    I was admitted to the hospital at 35 weeks 2 days because of being 5 cm dilated but not in active labor. Doctors were afraid that I would have babies in the car on the way to the hospital so wanted me close to keep watch. Of course this was 2 days before Thanksgiving holiday. So, I lived in the hospital for another 10 days (I feel for you ladies on hospital bedrest! I was miserable for those 10 days!!) before I was induced at 37 weeks 1 day. By this time, I was at 7 cm dilated and STILL not in labor. Doctors broke my water at 7 am and then later added pitocin and by 2:50 pm, I was finally headed to OR to begin pushing. (Both babies were head down for entire pregnancy and this was pregnancy/birth # 2 for me.) Baby A (my little girl) was born at 3:10pm after just a few pushes. My son, baby B, was another story. He would not drop quickly and in the meantime both placentas detached. I was told by my very calm ob that they would have to do a c-section and that I would have to be put under for it. It was so hard to stay calm but that is the only option so you just stay calm. The next thing I know, my ob is asking the anethesiologist why I am not under yet?! And the anest. says something like "I am giving her a block. You want her under?!". uhh... I had already heard my ob tell him to put me under a couple of minutes earlier! So, my ob said there wasn't time now to put me under or to wait for the block to work... He poked my belly with his scapel and asked if I could feel it. I could totally feel it as much of my previous epidural had worn off... still some numbness but I could totally move both legs and feel contractions. So, basically, my only option was to tell him to "just do it". It was very very painful and uncomfortable and adrenaline, and my husband holding my hand and talking to me in my ear, was the only thing that got me through it. My baby boy was born quickly after and there was a gap from hearing his cry but we finally heard it. His initial APGAR was only a 1 but the next one was a 9 so he was doing great! He is a perfect, sweet, happy little guy today!

Because of the emergency c-section, I was put on some pretty strong antibiotics to prevent infection. Well, that back fired because I ended up with a nasty hospital infection, CDiff (the antibiotics killed the good bacteria in my colon and bad cdiff bacteria took over). Finally 10 days later I was allowed to go home. This was after a miserable 10 days of high fevers, constant IV's (NPO for most of that), cathrater for most of days, and an ng tube for 1-2 days. Luckily they let our babies stay with us during this time. When I was released to go home, I had really bad swelling (40 lbs worth!) that lasted 1-2 weeks. It was so bad that I could only walk with assistance. I owe so much to our family (mainly grandmothers and sister-in-laws!) that helped us so much during those early weeks. Luckily our babies were total angels during those early days.

So, please read this c-section story knowing that it is very extreme and not a likely scenario. However, it did happen for me so wanted to make sure this info was out there! I do sometimes wonder what would have happened had I chosen a scheduled c-section. But in the end, I am happy that I "went for it"... especially considering our babies were never in danger.

Good luck to all of you expecting twin mommies. Being pregnant with twins was one of the hardest things I have ever done physically and mentally. But it is ALL so completely worth it in the end! And now, I appreciate being able to walk up stairs without having heart palpitations!

20. ward

ward Well-Known Member

I had an unplanned C-Section with my son and let me tell you at my hospital they have different nurses for surgery than they do for your regular birthing experience. The thing i didn't know was that they put in a catheter (sp?) It was NOT as painfull as i thought it would be. How ever it was uncomfortable i felt like i had to pee but couldn't lol. The other thing was the anesthesiologist was AWESOME. He answered every question i had pryor to surgery and even during told me if you feel nauseous let me know right away so i can make it go away and he was at my head the whole time. I started feeling nauseous right around the time they started cutting and i told him and he had a basin right there but put something under my nose and told me to sniff and the nauseous feeling went away. He also told me preassure feeling is normal on your chest.What i didn't realize is for our hospital they do an hour recovery time in a room with a nurse all by yourself and sometimes with other surgery patients. I was in and out of it the whole time but i was a little depressed after we left and i realized i had missed out on the first hour of my sons life. Luckily my hubby took video and every time i watch it i tear up. After they rolled me back into my room they left me narked and under lots of blankets which was fine with me. the one thing that did scare me was that there was bleeding afterward not out of the incisison but out of the vaginal area. they said that was normal as well. they did start me on meds right away and gave me narco after i breastfred they also gave me a cocktail of vitamins and a stool softner about twice a day i think its been a few years since i had my son lol. once i was able to move around they also put a maxi pad on my incision so that way my pants and panties wouldn't rub up against it which saved me from a lot of irritation. The other thing was they had me blowing into this breathing tube to keep me from getting pneumonia i hated that damn thing. They also made sure that i was always drinking water or juice. I enjoyed my stay at the hosptial and the c-section was not bad for me. I really didn't have a lot of pain after and was up and around at about 3 weeks but just took it easy and had my hubby bring me my son and he usually stayed with us in bed anyways. We will also be having a C-Section with the twins because thats our hosptial policy. I'm excited that this time it will be planned. Hope my story helped. Sorry its so long!! :youcandoit:

21. Henderson

Henderson Well-Known Member

my biggest tip, get the abdominal support band! I can't stand more than 5 min with out it! But I think all the other mommas covered the rest! Good luck! PS my hands were not strapped down.

22. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

Educate yourself on C-sections... they are a permanent surgery on YOUR body. I had a 39 week induction since my bp was high the week before. I wish I'd asked to just have an office visit at 39 wks and have been able to go another week... but alas I didn't think to ask to keep going. so we induced at 39 wks and my body wasn't ready, and it never progressed. I also now realize the doc didn't give me enough time... 6a to 2p ... wasn't there something else to do? anyway, we sectioned the babies out of there, and now with thie next pregnancy 4 yrs later I am wishing I had a better prognosis for a vaginal delivery...

In Florida the VBAC rules are pretty strict, and there are very few done... mostly it depends on your doctor, but the facility too.

anyway, my c-section went well, but now with 4 yr olds I am not sure I want to deal with recovering from another c-section while chasing them and tending to a newborn...

so, just keep in mind that babies do not necessarily "expire" at or before their due date... I've heard that pregnancies on an average will go past 41 weeks if given the chance.

23. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

I had a c-section for my twins on April 4. This thread really helped me prepare for what to expect. I took the advice to get up and walk the evening after the surgery (and the nurses encouraged it too) and although it was painful, I think it helped overall. I was lucky and didn't have any complications and my recovery was fairly quick.

The one surprise I had from the hospital experience (three nights) was the total lack of sleep. I think I averaged 3 hrs in each 24 hr period. I delivered at a "baby friendly" hospital where the babies room in with the parents. So it was difficult to get any substantial rest with them waking up every hour or two and learning how to breastfeed them. My husband was great in doing all of the other stuff and the nurses were helpful, but if you can get at least one night or half a night without the babies, I highly recommend it. When we got home from the hospital, that was the most tired I have been since they were born.

24. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

I had my second c-section with my fraternal twins so I can't say it wasn't pretty much exactly as I expected. I honestly can't even remember if my arms were strapped down or not... maybe its because I'm not claustrophobic so it doesn't stand out to me. The weirdest part for me is that I am in the medical field and have helped perform c-sections so I could picture it in my head which is quite weird.

It was slightly more painful recovery and I don't know if that was because it was my second or because of the twin pregnancy. I also recommend getting up out of bed in the first 24-36 hours. It isn't going to slow your recovery and it will get you feeling more normal. I also lifted more than the recommended amount in the first few weeks and I had no adverse affects.

25. astewart0610

astewart0610 Well-Known Member

Thought I would chime in for a second. My boys were born st almost 38 wks after a very successful vaginal birth with my first. We had a very unplanned c section due to baby b being breech. I expected vaginal birth until just minutes before cesarean. I can say from experience it takes a whole nother tole on the body. Make sure to get up and moving asap. Also if you have a dressing over your incision shower ss soon as try allow and remove it. I waiting.til the morning after I was told I could shower and due to it being stuck on so long and sweating over night, chunks of ky skin came off with the bandage and I now have scars from the tap burn! Also just remember to take it easy when you get home!!!

26. JesJes

JesJes Member

Great thread. Expecting twins in Feb 2015 (I'm only 7 weeks). Curious about those with surgery. Did you get this at full term or a little earlier? What's considered a healthy weight for a twin to go home? 5 and up? Also, is there anything you recommend for exercising or general health that was helpful in your preparation for delivery? Thanks!

27. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I had a c-section with my twins at 38 weeks 3 days. Baby A was head down; baby B transverse. I choose the c-section to avoid having one naturally and then having the surgery. I'm not sure the exact healthy weight; mine were 6.4 and 6.11 @ birth. Good luck! It's an amazing journey!!

28. EeeOoo

EeeOoo Member

I'm so glad I found this thread.  Reading all about the experiences is helping me prepare myself for when I do have to end up going in for C-section.  

I'm at 30 weeks, and they haven't scheduled my c/s appointment yet. Both babies' heads are down, so they're just keeping their eyes on me at the moment.

If I do end up going in for c-section, I think I'm going to be psychologically prepared.  I tend to get anxiety & panic attacks easily.  So I hope i can get through it.  

I should also read up on induced labour so I can also get myself ready.

The one thing I am concerned about is breastfeeding the twins after they 're born (via c/s) -- will it be difficult?  I know some of you ladies have talked about milk not coming in after a few days, but using the pump to get the colostrum is something I've also learned - and we're looking into getting a breast pump.  I am hoping I will be able to sit up and breast feed them (skin to skin contact)  but if not I guess they're getting the bottles.

One question, after the c/s,  has anyone been put on antibiotics?  OR simply pain killers?  And pain killers won't affect the milk, correct?

29. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

They give you painkillers during the csection that last after the epidural wears off. So, I had a good 12+ hours pretty pain free after both my csections. Then they gave me Percocet (with the first, they made it seem like something you just did. With the second, much more clear that it was optional.) I took Percocet for 5-6 days after my first csection. Also took 800mg Advil and continued it after I stopped the Percocet. With the second, I only took one dose of Percocet. For me, the Advil was sufficient. But people react differently. I breasted the twins at least partially for 8 weeks (my first section), and the medication did not impact it at all.

30. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Also, no issues sitting up and getting skin to skin contact. The bed raises and lowers mechanically, so sitting up is no issue right from the start. I was sitting up some in recovery. And they get you up and going to the restroom and stuff within the 12-24 hour window, so you'll be sitting up getting that contact no problem.

31. RNmel05

RNmel05 New Member

Great posts and advice. I am almost 26 weeks with my twins so it's early still. I haven't decided if I want to try another natural birth or do a c/s.  These posts helped me get a better idea of what to expect and calm my nerves about surgery.

32. breezyweezer

breezyweezer New Member

Really appreciate this thread and everyone for taking time to answer.

I noticed that milk not coming in seems to be common with a c-section. I am wondering is there anything you can do before the surgery to help it come in? Like can you start pumping at home a few days before (if you have a scheduled c-sec) would this even work?

33. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Undortunately, it wouldn't - the difficulty has to do with the different hormonal process that happens between vaginal birth and cesarean birth. In a sense, it takes our bodies a smidge longer to realize the babies have been born after a cesarean birth to begin lactogenesis II (the process of your milk volume increasing or your milk "coming in"). The routine separation of mom and babies after cesarean birth can also contribute to the delay. That being said, babies are just fine waiting. Your colostrum is totally adequate for their needs in those first days (assuming healthy, term babies) - the best thing to help your milk volume increase quickly is to focus on getting babies latched well (no pain for you and good milk transfer for babies) and often. Spending as much time skin to skin with your babies as possible with full access to the breast will also help.