caffeine & alcohol

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by nicolegalchutt, Jun 28, 2008.

1. nicolegalchutt

nicolegalchutt Well-Known Member

So lately getting up and going in the morning has been getting harder and I have been eyeing my husbands coffee. I used to drink it but gave it up when I became preggos and now I am EBF but I will have a few sips here and there. And there are days when I drink half a coke and feel so guilty when BF after. I know you can have some but I still worry that they are getting the caffine too. How many of you drink coffee or caffinated beverages? And how much, how often? I also have a half a beer occasionaly and worry about that too. Anyone else have alcohol here and there?

2. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Oh gosh yes, of course you can have coffee & alcohol! I drink a big mug of coffee in the morning, and have a half-caf most afternoons. I don't drink myself, but the rule of thumb I've heard is that as long as you don't feel intoxicated, you're ok to nurse.

Enjoy, mama! :)

3. clb8899

clb8899 Well-Known Member

I'm not exclusively breastfeeding, but they do get breastmilk every day. I have coffee or cappuccino several days a week. A really big cup. I also have a beer most evenings. The caffeine hasn't bothered the girls yet, so I can't think of any good reason not to have any. I probably wouldn't have more than one beer without dumping some breastmilk, but check with their pediatrician. He should be able to give you some guidelines.

4. bstone716

bstone716 Well-Known Member

You're fine! Get that caffeine, momma!! :lol: I limit myself to one cup of coffee a day, but I know there are people who drink more. And I second Holly's point about alcohol - if you're sober enough to drive, you're sober enough to BF/pump.

ENJOY!

Becky

5. erwelch

erwelch Well-Known Member

I drink coffee every morning, I don't think I could make it through the day without it. I am even starting to have an iced coffee in the afternoon just to make it until their bedtime. It doesn't seem to bother them since they mostly just sleep & eat at this point. I also have a drink every now and then (or 2). I figure the amount that goes into my breastmilk is so small that it could only make them a little drowsy & who could complain about that. Everything in moderation is fine as long as you don't notice if affecting the babies! Any mom of twins deserves a little splurge!

6. ejradcliffe

ejradcliffe Well-Known Member

I agree with pp... everything in moderation is fine as long as you don't notice it affecting the babies. I have a couple of beers or glasses of wine when we have dinner plans, and I have probably a lot of coffee (so much for moderation!)... I drink 4 or 5 cups of half-caf per day. I could not live without my coffee... the thought of it is literally what gets me out of bed in the morning! :D

7. Username

Username Well-Known Member

Yes, to both. I drink several teas in the morning and have a drink maybe 2X a week. But it takes me several hours to finish one beer. (Hey- it takes me several hours to do anything these days with two one year olds underfoot!) :rolleyes:

Enjoy!

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I've heard that a couple cups of coffee is fine! I personally don't do any alcohol. It's not that important to me and I'd worry about any possible effects. I have heard a glass of wine is fine. It's just not something I want to chance.

9. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

I drink a half pot of coffee every morning! And that is limiting myself. :)

10. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cohlee @ Jun 28 2008, 10:53 AM) [snapback]850662[/snapback]

I'm with her!

And I've been know to enjoy an 'adult' beverage or two also.

No worries!

11. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

I drink at least one cup of coffee daily, usually more like two!

As for alcohol, I have a glass of wine every night--I used to live in France and we had much more relaxed views on alcohol than most Americans do. That said, I would never BF drunk, but I haven't had so much as a buzz since before the boys were conceived!

12. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

I don't drink any caffeine still but I do have an occasional beer or 2. I didn't drink caffeine with DD either and made the mistake of drinking a Sunkist not realizing it had caffeine in it. DD's sitter asked me what I had to eat or drink when I picked her up. Apparently she did not sleep the entire day and this was at 5 months. I was VERY careful after that point. But I think if your babies are used to having a little caffeine it should be fine. I went cold turkey when I was pregnant so their little bodies have never had any up to this point. And I want them to sleep!

13. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

Check out this link (from KellyMom, of course) about how caffeine in your system affects babies. The most interesting thing I took away from it was that very young babies metabolize caffeine very very slowly, so it can build up in their system and have a bigger impact. I avoided it for the first six months because of this, but am now back up to 2 big cups of half caf and a soda or iced tea a day, with no noticeable effect.

As for alcohol, I will admit to a manhattan or G&T every once in a while, right after they go down to bed, when I know I won't have to pump/nurse for several hours...toddler dinners have a way of making one feel like a drink is well-earned and necessary. There's another sheet on KellyMom on alcohol here.

14. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cohlee @ Jun 28 2008, 10:53 AM) [snapback]850662[/snapback]

:lol: thats me in a nutshell :p cant function or be my sweet self without it :p

15. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I avoided both completely while pregnant and just kept avoiding during the first year. When they were about 14 months, I started having some caffeine again (like one soda or iced tea per day) and the occasional alcoholic beverage but I'm still careful not to have either one too close to a nursing session. I'm very sensitive to caffeine myself and my sleep is affected if I have any after about 2PM so I'm sure I'm overly cautious with it.

16. bng9306

bng9306 Member

Yes to both, I drink caff. beverages daily, and my children sleep just fine and they are all tall and skinny and healthy. Alcoholic beverages are not of importance to me, however, I have had wine here and there and if I ever do make it out to a bar setting or something (very very rare), I do have a drink or 2, I never get intoxicated and I generally drink when I know I have just fed the baby and have plenty of time before I feed again.

17. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

I drink coffee, and sometimes Dr. Pepper - and I don't limit myself on amount too much. BUT, I try not to have caffeine after 4 pm, because I don't want it to keep the boys up at night!

I haven't had alcohol, but that's because I'm not much of a drinker, so a little bit hits me hard. I would not be concerned about a small glass of wine, though.