Caffeine and nursing?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by momof6, Apr 3, 2011.

1. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

I have not had any caffeine since I found out I was pregnant. Is it ok to have a cup of regular joe? Does it affect the babies? Should I avoid it? Just getting ready to go out with DH and we are starting out tired and thought a pick me up was in order. I will nurse again in 5 hours. Thanks

2. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I never drank caffeine while I was nursing. This was absolutely a personal preference of mine. I was exclusively pumping and I didn't want to anything to affect my supply. The American Academy of Pediatrics considers it safe to consume caffine while nursing but to limit the amount because a small amount is transferred to the baby. What I have read says that more than 2 or 3 cups a day may cause babies to have trouble sleeping and be irritable.

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I do not drink caffeine period. If I drink a mtn dew at 1pm, I am up all night. That said, it should be fine. Not much should get transferred to the babies, esp. five hours later. Enjoy your evening!

4. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I drink 2 large cups of half-caf coffee every day. Did with my twins and with this baby while pregnant and nursing. No problems here. Switched from regular to half-caf so I could drink more coffee. Did I mention that I love coffee? Enjoy!

2 people like this.
  5. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

I always did. I don't really drink coffee but I'd have a soda. I also drink tea. Never had any problems. In general, I don't consume a ton. Moderation, in anything, is key. 2-3 servings is "ok'd" by the "professionals".

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It affected mine, but I don't drink coffee so it was pop for me, and later in the day. I'd give it a try in small doses at first. :)

7. Angelfish

Angelfish Active Member

I drank one cup of coffee every morning throughout my pregnancy and now I drink between one and two cups a day and it does not seem to affect my girls at all. My pedi also says it's okay.

8. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i'm with everyone else - i usually had a cup of coffee in the morning & it didn't seem to affect the girls.

9. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

I always have a cup in the morning and a cup in the afternoon, and it never affected the babies in the least! I'd say go ahead and try it, and if it seems like it's affecting them, you can always cut back.

10. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

My son won't take his morning nap until I've fed him about an hour after my morning coffee! The days I miss the cup of coffee he misses his nap. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Anyway, I've drunk one cup almost everyday while nursing him and I did almost ever day of my pregnancy too. Everything I read said you could have up to two or three cups. I just did one.

11. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I am with everyone else - I don't drink coffee but I always needed one cup of tea during the afternoon nap and after seeing no negative effects on the babies I added a second one for breakfast.

After going without during my pregnancy that one cup was a real pick-me-up, much more effective than two or three cups when my body was used to it.

12. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

I had a cup or two of coffee a day while pregnant and while nursing and it's never affected my supply. Now, just consider though that caffeine is a diuretic so of course make sure that you're keeping up with your water intake to make sure that your supply stays up :)

13. calind115

calind115 Well-Known Member

I can't survive with out my daily coffee. The right combo makes my life easier, one cup of STRONG half caff, anymore they don't sleep, any less they don't sleep. Drink it see what happens, you never know till you try.

14. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

I couldn't survive without caffeine right now! I dont drink coffee, so its just a soda or two a day.