Caffeine anyone?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ec twins, Nov 19, 2007.

1. ec twins

ec twins Well-Known Member

I was so strict when I was pregnant with the twins, but I haven't been able to cut out the caffeine. I'm due in 3 weeks and everything is fine. I was just wondering if I am the only bad mommy who couldn't put down her coffee. I try to limit it to one cup a day. Life is so different this time around. I NEED the caffeine!!

There have been lots of posts about opinionated strangers lately, so I had to chuckle this weekend when a waitress asked me two times as she looked down her nose at me, "Will that be decaf mam?" She repeated herself after I asked for a cup of regular. What is with people?

2. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

I *think* (I could be wrong) that you can have up to 2 cups of caffeinated beverages per day when you are pregnant. You don't have ot cut it out completely. I don't drink a lot of caffeine...but I was getting a lot of migraines where that was teh ONLY thing I could take to get rid of it...so I was buying those 8 oz. cans of pop...just enough to take the edge off the migraine without having to take meds.

3. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

OHHH I was sooo strict with my singleton that I wouldn’t even have chocolate because it CAN have a slight amount of caffeine (and so was my Dr)… BUT I too started to get head aches and my Dr recommended I have 8 oz of coffee to see if it helped :huh: (same Dr 10 years later… I almost fell off the table when he mentioned I go out of my way to have coffee)… oh how it did cure my headaches :a_smil09: … I then started to notice (because I didn’t do it everyday, just headache days) that it made my nausea go away :clapping: … so I did an experiment… and I now go out of my way (as really I could care) to have a 10 oz cup of ½ reg ½ decaf coffee each morning… and my nausea has gotten 80% better… I still can get a wave late in the day and evening… but I can shower and get my son to school and on REALLY good days go to the grocery store… I just talked to my Dr about it and he was glad I was doing it… you have to weigh everything… and even if a cup of coffee keeps you going, and keeps harmony in you (witch rolls down to the baby) then I think its great… I think cutting coffee and having no tolerance for your twins/family/life… wouldn’t be good for YOU or the baby… IMO… but I will say… I have moments I wish I didn’t have to drink it… but it’s not my reality and my Dr thinks its great I found a non Rx solution to my Nausea… I have a girlfriend that said if she cut out coffee it would end up with her divorced AND fired… and THAT wouldn’t be good for the family :nea: …

4. BaaRamEwe

BaaRamEwe Well-Known Member

With my twins I never touched the stuff, but this time I will allow my self to have one serving on coke a day and I don't do it everyday. I just feel like I was overly cautious with my first pregnancy, so this time, to cope with life, I have it every couple of days. I read something that said some caffeine is okay during pregnancy.

5. Tracy623

Tracy623 Well-Known Member

With the twins (first pregnancy) I was SUPER strict. Only one pop a day.
    This time around I found the only thing that settles my stomach is pop and it must be coke or diet coke. Nothing else works. I throw up Sprite, Ginger Ale, etc.
    I try to limit it to one Diet Coke a day and then I started having 1/2 reg 1/2 decaf cup of coffee each morning recently. Oh how things change when you are keeping up with two three year olds!!!!

Tracy

6. Joyful

Joyful Well-Known Member

With the twins I didn't want caffeine, but with this little one, the Dr. suggested caffeine to take away my headaches. 2 small cups of coffee or two cans of coke a day she said would be just fine. It makes me sane :)

7. kdoleva

kdoleva Well-Known Member

In the first tri, I cut out the coffee totally. I drank decaf. Now I after researching it, I have one small cup in the mornings. At night I will not drink caffeine. I feel like I need it to stay awake, can you say addict? :)