Caffeine

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by emp59, Jun 28, 2012.

1. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

With the girls, I had 0 caffeine. After I was unaware I was pregnant for the first 6 weeks and was drinking and smoking and what not, I did everything I could afterwards in hopes to "undo" any bad things I did before I knew. However, I was also not chasing around 2 toddlers last time and was actually able to sleep 13-15 hours a day.

Anyway,
    How many of your drank/drink your one cup of coffee during pregnancy?

2. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I don't drink coffee. But I always gave up caffeinated sodas when I was pregnant. Then I started getting horrible headaches when I was pregnant with the girlies. My Dr. told me I should start drinking coffee. I didn't, but I went and got a big Dr. Pepper. My headache went away. The caffeine opens up the capillaries or some such, which is why they put it in Excedrin. So I started drinking one most days and my headaches stayed under control. After a couple months, I didn't need it anymore, so just had it occasionally.

3. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

I still drink 2ish servings a day.

4. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I did not drink coffee, but I did have tea/hot chocolate. My Dr OKd 60 mg of caffiene (or so- its been a few years!) to help moderate headaches.

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had at least one cup of coffee a day when I was pregnant. Some days I had diet cokes too. And occasional days I had either a beer or a glass of wine. Do what you feel comfortable with, within the guidelines provided by your doctor.

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also drank coffee while pregnant with Emmett, usually one cup a day. The smell made me nauseous when I was pregnant with the girls so didn't drink it then.

7. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

With the twins, I had about 1 cup of coffee a day. With my youngest, I was working nights and couldn't have made it home safely without caffeine. I drank a nice big diet coke any time I worked and often had some more caffeine to make it through some days running around after my heathens. I was told anything under 120mg a day was ok, and all my pregnancies have been smooth and babies healthy.

8. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I drink two cups of the 50/50 blend of coffee each morning. That's about 100mgs of caffiene. Then I drink two or maybe three regular cokes during the day. That's in addition to water or milk. Yes, I drink a lot of liquids. I know. Lol so, I'm taking in probably 200mgs or slightly more per day.

With previous pregnancies I drank 3-4 cokes a day.

9. SC

SC Well-Known Member

0 caffeine with my older boys.
    1 cup of coffee per day with baby #3. No soda.
    No alcohol with either pregnancy. Some wine/beer now and then while BFing.
    I have never smoked and wouldn't go near it with a 10 ft pole during pregnancy... or any other time for that matter.

10. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

This seems like the route I'm on :) I didn't drink soda before I got pregnant so that's not hard, but I love my cup a day. DH is worried about the coffee. I think because I didn't do any with the girls and he was really upset by our last miscarriage and doesnt want to do it again.

11. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I drank at least 1 caffeinated soda or cup of coffee for each pregnancy. No problems either time.

12. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

With Rivky, I drank one giant cup of it a day. Plus Coke. And coke slurpees lots of days. With the twins I lost all taste for coffee and was totally uninterested in it.

13. Suffmann

Suffmann Member

I don't think that caffeine is your main problem. If you are smoker, you'd better try vaping because it is healthier. For example, you can have a look at https://www.mtbakervapor.com/devices/vape-starter-kits/ and try something from there. I am sure that it will be a better decision than smoking