caffeine

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mamaleah, Jan 30, 2008.

1. mamaleah

mamaleah Well-Known Member

I was just wondering how many of you strictly avoid caff. I was not a big coffee drinker before, maybe a yummy latte as a treat every once in a while. But I am a big tea drinker. I have cut down to 1 or 2 cups a day (which my doctor says is fine). So I'm not really worried about it, just curious.

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I don't know how far along you are... I gave it up completely while TTC and during the first tri. After that, my doctor said it was OK to have a cup a day or so. However, I'd avoided caffeine for so long, it made me really hyper. And it increased my appetite, which was the last thing I needed as I was already eating about 7 meals a day. :rolleyes: I did drink caffeinated tea when I had a headache (though I'm not sure if it helped) or if I was more tired than usual.

3. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

With my son I gave it up the whole pregnancy (and while I BF)… this pregnancy I found (just around 12 w) I would keep getting headaches and that the half caffeine half decaf not only cured my headache it made my nausea better (not gone, but I could function a bit more)… so I had one cup every morning until my m/s went away around 17w… now I have it when I have a headache or I am craving it really bad (every 10 days or so)… MY Dr said he would rather me have a cup of coffee then Tylenol…

Elizabeth

4. snakegetterswife

snakegetterswife Well-Known Member

i don't drink coffee but am a BIG tea drinker...i make decaffeinated tea at home! However, if my husband and i are out to dinner i will drink tea but limit how much i drink usually 1 maybe 1 1/2 glasses during dinner, which my doctor says is ok! we only go out to dinner maybe 2 a week because we live in the sticks...20 minutes from town! lemonade and kool-aid have become a great friends to quinch thrist when you just can't drink another glass of water!! another item i have found is..kellogg's special k20 protein water mix is great...i get the pink lemonade (kellogg's says the iced tea has caffeine) and put it in my water that way i get my fluids but also the extra protein that is good for the little ones! good luck to you!

5. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

I did not vut it out all together but I really toned it down alot. Im a HUGE pop drinker and I cut pack to 1 maybe 2 glasses a day. I also LOVE tea so I switched over to decaffeinated.

6. aimeemolloy

aimeemolloy Well-Known Member

There was just BIG news with Caffine and women in pregnancy...I was watching the news and they said it is BEST to avoid it completely. There are too many downsides to caffine with babies in utero. "Monday in The American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, finds that pregnant women who consume 200 milligrams or more of caffeine a day — the amount in 10 ounces of coffee or 25 ounces of tea — may double their risk of miscarriage." SO especially for the first trimester you should AVOID caffine - if you want a healthy baby.

7. Fletchie

Fletchie Well-Known Member

I didn't have any caffeine for the first trimester. But now I occasionally have a Coke for its medicinal value. It is the only thing that gets rid of my headaches!

8. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I could never drink but small amounts of caffine with the girls or they'd be bouncing like crazy!!!

9. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

I enjoyed my coffee, with some guilt, every day. I did use Ensure as a creamer, so I got some extra calories that way!

10. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I stayed away from caffeine while pregnant. I really didn't become a coffee drinker until after the twins were born. I did have some decaf tea every now and then.

11. JediMom

JediMom Well-Known Member

I cut it out before I got pregnant and then after the first trimester was over, I started back on it. Mostly because I was feeling so ill so often I HAD to have a cup of joe here and there. The caff really made me feel better!

12. 2B2G

2B2G Well-Known Member

I went down to one cup a day. Any less and I start getting migraines.

13. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

I didn't have any the first tri. Now, I'll have 1-2 SMALL chai lattes a week. It's made w/ black tes and because it's chai it's mostly milk, so I'm not getting that much caffeine. My doc said 1 a day is fine.

14. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

i am incredibly guilty on 2 parts. i used to be a HUGEEEEE diet coke drinker. ive cut down to maybe 2-3 cans a day, very bad!! but i also quit smoking at the same time, so im thinking diet coke is the lesser of the 2 evils, but still not great. im trying my best, but i suppose i could try harder.

15. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Basically my pregnancy rule is that I strictly avoid caffeine during the 1st trimester and then keep it to less than 100 mg a week for the rest of the pregnancy.

With the twins, I had one glass of tea once a week after 20 weeks (on Wednesdays :)) but stayed away from all caffeine except for that. The girls had TTTS and Sierra had a 2-vessel cord so I didn't want to do anything that could affect them negatively.

16. 4kidsmomexpectingtwins

4kidsmomexpectingtwins Well-Known Member

I don't usually drink sodas, especially with caffiene, but I am a huge Mocha drinker! I think I lived on them with my youngest DD. I have cut back a little with the twins, but I do still have them at least once a week. I have tried to drink mostly water and milk, with these babies. Every once in a while I have a soda, too. Okay... did you get all that? My oldest DD is destracting me as I type... UHG!

17. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

My dr. said it was ok to drink one to two cups a day. I have avoided it for most of my pregnancy, but when my migraines are kicking in the dr said it was better to have a cup of coffee than an excedrin migraine. I don't drink caff. soda at all so I figure the few times I need to drink coffee is ok. I do also have hot chocolate once in a while. The babies are fine so far. It doesn't seem to increase their activity level either so I don't think I drink enough to bother them.