Can I give Motrin more than every 6 hours?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by DATJMom, Aug 25, 2008.

1. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I've got 2 sick bubby's. Seems like just a virus at this point, but they got Motrin at 5:45 this morning when they woke with fevers and then I just gave them some 6 hours later, but I know that their fever has been creeping up after only about 4 hours after the Motrin was given. I know I can call the Nurse, but I was just curious if others had gotten the okay. Thanks.

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give Motrin more often than every 6 hours, but you can alternate Motrin and Tylenol/acetominophen every 3 hours.

3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Minette @ Aug 25 2008, 10:08 AM) [snapback]946418[/snapback]
    I wouldn't give Motrin more often than every 6 hours, but you can alternate Motrin and Tylenol/acetominophen every 3 hours.

Ditto this. Motrin can only be given every six hours (can cause stomach ulcers if given too often, I think), but you can rotate the different types of medicine so that your kids get something every three hours. That said, sometimes it's better not to give medicine for a fever because fever is the body's way of fighting infection. If it's not too high, you can let it run it's course and the infection might go away sooner than if you bring the fever down with medicine.

4. megginmj

megginmj Well-Known Member

I've alternated Tylenol/Ibuprofen every 3 hours too - it was the only way we got through our first ear infection.

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Minette @ Aug 25 2008, 12:08 PM) [snapback]946418[/snapback]

This is what I do as well.

Hope they feel better Rachel. :hug99:

6. DATJMom

Thanks ladies. I will alternate. I have never heard of doing it that frequently. I would just alternate to time like 6 hours and then 4 hours and then before bedtime with the Motrin. This sheds a whole new light on fever reducing!! The fever is in the 102- to low 103 so I need to treat it with something.

7. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

you have gotten great advice here, I hope they feel better soon!

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

QUOTE(idril @ Aug 25 2008, 04:24 PM) [snapback]946449[/snapback]
    That said, sometimes it's better not to give medicine for a fever because fever is the body's way of fighting infection. If it's not too high, you can let it run it's course and the infection might go away sooner than if you bring the fever down with medicine.

FWIW, our ped said this is a myth. A fever is a symptom of illness, but the body doesn't require the temp to be high in order to fight the illness. I'm not sure what to believe, but I always give medicine for fever.

9. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Minette @ Aug 25 2008, 12:08 PM) [snapback]946418[/snapback]

In the thick of an illness, I do the same thing. Our pedi is the one that advised us to do this.

I'm so sorry they are so sick!! :( :hug99:

10. DATJMom

Well, I called the Nurse and she wanted me to bring them in to see the Ped since the temp was high. So I loaded all of them up and away we went. It seems they just caught a nasty ol' virus that they are seeing alot of. I asked the Dr. about alternating Motrin and Tylenol and he said that he does not recommend that because you are just masking the fever and he would like to know how high it is really getting. So just some food for thought.

11. nadana77

nadana77 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Aug 25 2008, 05:08 PM) [snapback]947035[/snapback]
    I asked the Dr. about alternating Motrin and Tylenol and he said that he does not recommend that because you are just masking the fever and he would like to know how high it is really getting. So just some food for thought.

That's good to know becasue when I had to take ours to the ER that told us to alternate the two!