Can Just-Turned-2-Year-Olds ride a scooter?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by [email protected], May 17, 2010.

1. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I saw this on Amazon and thought it might be fun for my girls for their 2nd birthday next month. Has anyone else used a scooter at around 24 months?

Scooter

2. debid

debid Well-Known Member

My boys got those for Christmas (3 months after their 2nd birthday). They could use them a little on the hardwood floors but they weren't really ready for the slightly bumpy and not-so-level trails at the park until they were 3.

3. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Eleanor just got a scooter for her second birthday, she has this one (similar design to the one you posted) and can ride it well already. She doesn't have turning down yet-the handlebars don't turn on it, you just lean to the side you want to go which makes it more stable-but that doesn't bother her, if she wants to turn she gets off and turns it by lifting it up.

If you think your girls will enjoy the scooters then I say go for it, I bet they'll learn how to use them no trouble.

4. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Mine could a little earlier. They love to go out and ride bikes, scooters, etc. Soon they'll be skating.

5. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

It probably depends on the kid. My girls are nearly 29 months (27 months adjusted) and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to use them yet.

6. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

that's a pretty cute little scooter! so many things my kids haven't tried!!! but sounds like some would be able to work it at 2 yrs!

7. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

YES! Though I wouldn't recommend the one in the link, several kids in the neighborhood have it and is gets very little use.

We have this one http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Kick-Scooter-Oppenheim-Portfolio/dp/B000K22D9Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1274148831&sr=1-4

It is not cheap, but it is amazing. My kids are not particularly coordinated but (at 2.5 years old) with in 5 minutes were riding this. All the kids in the neighborhood love it and it goes up to 60 pounds so it will last awhile. The big differences are 1. It is really low to the ground so easy to push 2. The wheels in the front don't turn, you stear by leaning similar to skiing - so much safer with fewer spills falling off. Check out the video in the review section.

8. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the recommendations for the Mini Kick scooter. That one looks awesome!

9. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two were riding a scooter at 2y3m. I think they will love it. :good: