Can this be reoccurring reflux?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mom2gc, Oct 25, 2012.

1. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

My DD has been sleeping well for over a year now. She sleeps well even if she is ill. She is 2 years and 3 months old. Suddenly she is waking up crying and sitting up. This happens at least 3 to 4 times between 7:30pm and midnight. After midnight she sleeps just fine. It is as if she is staying in the first sleep cycle. Nothing has changed in their bedtime routine. This is just reminding me of how she used to be when she had reflux, never settling to sleep for long. Can it be that she is experiencing reflux/acid burn?

Anyone experienced this as well?

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Does she cough too? If not, probably just nightmare?

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My son was about 14 months when we found he had reflux again. He would wake up 3-4xs a week screaming until he sat up and burped. The burps didn't smell good and if you gave him an antacid he felt better in 5 minutes for the rest of the night. That's how we knew he needed reflux meds.

4. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I had the same issue with one of my boys. He was on reflux meds for 2 years. At around age 3 he started having what I thought was reflux problems at night again. He would wake up crying etc. I took him to the doctor and they suggested it might be constipation. I started him on miralax and it worked wonders. Both of my boys eat their weight in fruit and veggies and drink plenty of water. It can be very common in toddlers/preschoolers to experience constipation.

You might just call your doctor/nurse and talk to them about it and see what they suggest.

5. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

It could also have nothing to do with her gastrointestinal system. My DS will have wake ups like this, seem like he's not fully awake, sometimes even try to walk. It's more of a night terror/restless sleep thing. We tend to see it more if he's overtired or if he's not napped well that day. Maybe try moving bedtime a little earlier or naptime a little earlier for a few days and see if that helps.

6. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies, I will follow up on all the suggestions.