can your LO's point?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by newtothis, Oct 7, 2010.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

only one of my LOs points. when i ask where things are around the house they can point at them and recognize them. (like the stove, tv, etc.)
    one LO points; the other uses his whole hand and 'points' it in the direction.

is that normal?

2. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's "normal" but mine didn't really start pointing until 18 months...and one of them still prefers the whole hand gesture. I know you are a worried Momma..as was I...but on the 18 month autism screening that was the only red flag and my doc wasn't too concerned. It is related to speech...and mine are speech delayed.

3. newtothis

omgosh - autism screening? do all docs do that? are there other red flags to look for in regards to autism? he doesnt speak really, either.

4. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

calm down Momma..and lack of speech at 16 months is not a red flag....most docs do it now...I had my hubby fill it out because I am a nut. Not responding to their name and lack of eye contact could also be indicators...but also at this young age don't necessarily mean anything. I teach prek specail ed which is why I am so nutty...but I have read all of the reports after 8 years of this and I can tell you that I have had some kids who were "funky" at 1 1/2 and at 5 totally typical.

5. aimeemorgan1218

aimeemorgan1218 Well-Known Member

Mine can/do both point just a finger but I totally think its FINE that one of yours does not! No worries Momma!

6. twointheoven

twointheoven Well-Known Member

Funny you bring this up. We moved and changed docs before their 18 mo. appt. I had scheduled an appt. with my friends' kids doc, but then ended up changing it to my ped. that was assigned for the new baby. Well, last week I was going through some unopened mail and found paperwork the other doc. had sent to fill out, and it included the autism screening. The doc. went to, didn't do or say anything about this, so I was curious. I read the questions and flipped it over and read the docs answers/cheat sheet. Needless to say, I then freaked out because only one of my LO's was pointing. It kept bugging me... until about a week later, he started pointing. It was like he knew what I was worried about. On a trip to Target the other day he pointed at EVERYTHING! DH and I were cracking up. So, as PP said, I wouldn't worry, especially since yours are only 16 months.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wouldn't worry either...my DD was pointing around 12 months and my DS did not start pointing until 18 months. My pediatrician's office (at the time) did not do autism screenings at the 18 month visit...they might do it now-I'm not sure.

8. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

DS points at stuff he wants. DD doesnt. Not sure if this is normal at 13 months or not!

9. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Your LOs are the same age as mine. Brandon started pointing 2 months ago, but Colin only started pointing with one finger within the past few days. Prior to that Colin only occasionally did the whole hand pointing. I was never worried though about him not pointing by 16 months, because like with everything else so far he has caught up with Brandon. Also within the past week Brandon started saying "dit-TEE" while pointing to our cats. And a couple of days ago Colin has started saying dit-TEE too, just not quite as clearly as his brother. Anyway, don't stress about your LO that doesn't point. Like PPs have said some of their LOs didn't point until 18 months. Everything will be fine :)

10. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Mine will not point if I say "where's the kitty" but they will point as a way of asking what things are or if they want something. They either say "uh uh uh" in a whiny tone if they want something or "dis dis" (this) if they want to know what something is. DD is obsessed with animals so she will stand at the window and point at every squirrel and chipmunk that runs through the yard.

As a pediatrician I will say that pointing is not a requirement for development at this point. What is more important is if they make eye contact, if they play little social games, and if they can follow your point (you say "look at this" and they look. When it comes down to it, lack of speech is only one symptom of autism. Many kids are speech delayed and don't have autism. Autism is a disorder of socialization and if your kiddos interact socially with you and each other then there is nothing to worry about.

11. newtothis

they dont say many words except for dadda. the one that doesnt point just babbles; he barely says any words.

12. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

I know they were previously seeing a physical therapist through Early Intervention. But have you contacted EI to evaluate them for an expressive language delay? My LO that just learned to point a few days ago qualified for EI a couple of months ago for an expressive language delay, and he seems to be on the same level as one of your LOs. My boys have just said their first decipherable word this week: "dit-TEE" for kitty while pointing at a cat. Other than that they don't really talk but just babble. They've said "ma-ma" and "da-da" for a while now but its just mixed in with their babbling and they never point at us when they say either of those. But they finally said a word and pointed while doing so. So I'm happy, even if they weren't saying mama while pointing to me :) And the speech therapist that came over on Wednesday thinks our boys are doing great, she just gives us a few pointers to help them learn to talk/express more. Anyway, I would see if either of your LOs qualify for an expressive language delay in which case a speech therapist could start working with them.

13. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Mine could point and say "what's that?" while pointing at 8 months.