Can your older children tell your twinfants apart?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by BabyMoPlusThree, Oct 28, 2009.

1. BabyMoPlusThree

BabyMoPlusThree Well-Known Member

My DD is just starting to be able to tell her five month old fraternal sisters apart. She is only 2.5, and she is getting better, but she mixes them up on a regular basis.

She went through a phase where she called them both "baby" and now she tends to speak to them both at the same time "Good night Allison! Good night Charlotte!"

2. Jocasta

Jocasta Well-Known Member

My 4 year old DD can't or won't (not sure which). I've gone through periods of trying to teach her - sigh

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids could always tell them apart, but the big kids were older than your dd and our twins are b/g. :lol: For what it's worth, I used to mix up my two myself all of the time in the middle of the night! :wacko:

4. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

This is my 3 year old DS! All my older kids can tell them apart.

5. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Yeah, my DD could pretty much tell them apart when they were born. She was 2 yrs. 7 mo. when they born. It was my Dad on the other hand that would always mix them up and couldn't tell them apart. Mind you, mine are b/g and I dressed them in boy color and girl colors. Even if Gabe was in blue trucks and Abby was in a purple dress he'd still get them confused. It was very frustrated at the time (and I was hurt at the time that he wasn't taking the time to figure it out), but now that he passed away a year ago it's something I look back on and it brings a smile to my face.

6. atruluck

atruluck Member

my twins names are Jacob & Noah but to my older son they are both Noah or as he says it "oah" it's so cute. I think he knows there are 2 babies but you ask him their name it's simply "oah" I just hope he learns Jacob soon before they grow up thinking they have the same name

7. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My son still has a very hard time. He usually asks which is who when I first get them dressed. It was a nightmare for all of us when they were smaller, it's much easier now that they are older, but still there are days that they look more alike...I know that probably doesn't make sense, but it is so true, one day it's so easy to tell them apart, then there will be days they look so dang alike.

8. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

My three year old is really good at telling them apart and now he even knows who it is by the sound of their cry. It is kinda neat but I guess he listens to them all day just like I do.

9. nikio95

nikio95 Active Member

My DD will be 4 in December and when the girls first came home, she couldn't tell them apart. Now she is really good at it, and will tell other people they are wrong if they call one by the wrong name. :rolleyes: That's a 4-yr old for you.

10. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

My DD has always been able to tell her brothers apart. She has been the only consistent one in our entire family.

11. Carrie+5

Carrie+5 Member

I have boy/girl twins. As soon as we brought them home my older kids could tell who was who by looking at their hair :) My dd has always had peach fuzz and my ds has dark hair. My husband says my stepson still can't tell them apart. My husband will be doing something with one of the babies and my stepson will come up and ask whether it is Anson or Sara. My stepson is 14.

12. RG215

RG215 Well-Known Member

My DS is also 2.5 and has no idea who is who....mind you I have b/g twins that look NOTHING alike. He mostly calls them "this one and that one".

13. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For the first few months after they were born my kids had trouble telling them apart. Now they both can easily, unless I dress them in neutral or opposite gender clothing. (I have b/g twins) Like if I put them both in blue onesies, the big kids will get confused! :lol:

But there is about a 3 lb difference between the two so ultimately, we know the chubby one "aka chubba wubba" is our girl Rylee, and the skinnny one "aka skinny minnie" is the boy Liam!