Can't believe we're finally here!

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Utopia122, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I can not believe that it has been five years! It seems like only yesterday that the girls were tiny babies, and yet we are here, somehow!

I have a quick question. The girls started preschool this year and they are sick constantly. Just in the past month, Sarah has had strep, Allison has had a stomach virus twice and bronchitis. She wasn't at school more than two days when her second round of stomach virus hit. I know they say the first year is the worst, but how much were your kids sick when they started school? The girls are sick every other week it seems. Luke was in daycare and when he started I just can't remember this much sickness for him. As a matter of fact, he had perfect attendance most years of elementary school. Is there anything I can do to help them not get sick all the time?

TIA!!

2. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Mine were sick a LOT in pre-school. One thing after another after another. But then last year for K they weren't sick at all and the same this year.
    Hopefully they will build up their immune systems this year so they will be stronger for next year.

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Welcome!!!

My kids were out sick maybe once or twice their first two years of preschool. They had been in daycare until they were two then home until 3 1/2. They haven't been out sick at all this year. Liam was never in daycare and hasn't been out sick this year at all. He tends to get a cough settling in for the winter every December. The cold air makes it worse and he has to use a Nebulizer now and then to clear it up.

4. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

:birthday: Sarah and Allison!

As for the sickness, mine were sick almost constantly when they were toddlers in daycare. (They actually started at 2 months, but didn't get sick as much that first year because they were too young to crawl.) Nothing really serious, just nonstop colds and a case of hand-foot-mouth or something. (Luckily for me, they don't seem prone to tummy bugs.) It has been much, much better each year since then.

5. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

When my girls started preschool they got the common cold often but nothing to bad. I do remember them getting the throw-up virus before they started school. Since they have started (2nd grade now) they have mostly still only have gotten a cold with the runny nose and cough. My son has also mainly gotten them too. This is the first year where my one daughter got the fever/throw up virus that was going around and my son also got it and was out a week of school my daughter only two days. my other daughter never got it thankfully. My dh and I also don't get sick very often other than the common cold or allergies (we both had perfect attendances in school). We make sure all the kids wash hands with soap before eating when they get home from school. When they were younger it was as soon as they walk into the house. As they get older they seem to get sick less and less but mostly just the runny nose and cough they very rarely even get a fever now.