can't sleep, not feeling good

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by twins2008, Mar 1, 2008.

1. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

I have been battling this sinus infection for months now. Everytime we think it is cleared up it comes back and seems worse. It has made it really miserable to breath, well, I can't breath, my nose is stuffed and my asthma is acting up. I have also had really achy muscles, migraines, and nausea. I went to my allergist and was given another antibiotic and a different inhaler. I started the antibiotic at 10:30 and tried the new inhaler (not sure if it worked, it was not a regular inhaler). I woke up at 3:00 to go to the bathroom and my tongue felt kind of swollen and now my throat feels alittle bit too. I am really dried out and water isn't helping much. It has helped to make me almost throw up and that feeling is getting worse. My stomach has been really hard and hurting also, I think the babies are growing again maybe, but it is really painful to move, I almost didn't make it up the stairs the first time so I am not looking forward to trying it again, but I want to try to get some more sleep. I tried to lay back down earlier but my tongue was just bothering me too much. It feels so weird when it feels swollen and is very distracting. It is now almost 25 of 5 and I am so tired, but I can't sleep. Anyway, I don't know if I am reacting to the medicine or am getting dehydrated, but I am not happy right now. The babies are moving around though so that is a good sign that they are ok with whatever is going on. I think I will try one more time in a little bit and then I will just resign myself to being awake for now. Thanks for letting me vent, I didn't want to wake DH up.

Jen

2. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

Vent anytime that is what we are all here for. Do you have a chair like a recliner you can sleep on? I know I spent the last month sleeping best when I sat up. I am sorry you are going through all this sinus/asthma problems.

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hope you feel better soon. :hug99:

4. ghanigirl

ghanigirl Well-Known Member

I'm also sorry you are feeling so bad. It sounds like you have a much worse infection than what this can do, but have you tried the Breathe Right strips? Because it is non-medicated, you don't get the effects of swelling and dryness you are feeling. Sometimes you just get a little bit of dry skin around your nose. Lately, I haven't even cared about the dry skin/redness around my nose. I've just wanted sleep so badly that I figured I am letting vanity out the window.

5. lisaessman@verizon.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I can't sleep and everything hurts too! I know how you feel in that department. Is your tongue still swollen? That does sound like a reaction to the med. I hope you feel better soon, Lisa

6. twins2008

QUOTE(b/gtwinmom07 @ Mar 1 2008, 06:20 AM) [snapback]647906[/snapback]
    Vent anytime that is what we are all here for. Do you have a chair like a recliner you can sleep on? I know I spent the last month sleeping best when I sat up. I am sorry you are going through all this sinus/asthma problems.

We have a couch that has a recliner but I have a lot of trouble getting out of it when it is reclined. I did start to feel better as I was sitting up though. It is so hard to get comfortable in any position for too long anymore. Thank you for the idea, I will probably be sleeping on the couch at some point. Thanks.

Jen

QUOTE(summerfun @ Mar 1 2008, 09:20 AM) [snapback]647994[/snapback]
    Hope you feel better soon. :hug99:

Thank you :)

7. twins2008

QUOTE(Mabarton @ Mar 1 2008, 10:25 AM) [snapback]648042[/snapback]
    I'm also sorry you are feeling so bad. It sounds like you have a much worse infection than what this can do, but have you tried the Breathe Right strips? Because it is non-medicated, you don't get the effects of swelling and dryness you are feeling. Sometimes you just get a little bit of dry skin around your nose. Lately, I haven't even cared about the dry skin/redness around my nose. I've just wanted sleep so badly that I figured I am letting vanity out the window.

I didn't even think of those, I will have to get some and try them. My nose is so swollen inside from the infection that that would probably help. I agree dry skin is the least of my worries right now. It's nothing a little Eucerin can't fix. Thank you for the suggestion. Sleep is definitely a rare commodity these days isn't it?

Jen

8. twins2008

QUOTE(5girlies @ Mar 1 2008, 10:45 AM) [snapback]648057[/snapback]
    I can't sleep and everything hurts too! I know how you feel in that department. Is your tongue still swollen? That does sound like a reaction to the med. I hope you feel better soon, Lisa

I guess it is just par for pregnancy. My tongue feels a little bit swollen but not as bad as earlier. My throat still feels swollen though. I don't know if it is just from breathing with my mouth open because my nose is so stuffed or if it is from the medicine. I think I will have my DH get me some Benadryl, my dad said that he carries the strips with him because he has been getting different allergic reactions lately. I took my antibiotic without the inhaler and will see how it goes. I've taken the antibiotic before, but the inhaler is different so we will see. I usually don't have reactions to meds other than my stomach doesn't like them sometimes. Thank you.

Jen

9. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

feel better!!

10. DMBMom40

DMBMom40 Well-Known Member

[SIZE=12pt]Hope you're able to find some relief tonight and get a restful night's sleep. Nothing worse than that feeling of being unable to breathe. Do you have a humidifier? That might help with the sore throat if it isn't the new meds that are causing the swelling feeling. Sending good sleep vibes your way!![/SIZE]

11. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

:( i feel your pain i have a sinus infection too and sleeping wasnt an option--My doctor gave me some Tenylol 3's with codeine in it and it helps the congestion and lets u sleep(until u have to pee) i have a big water bottle by my bed but i still wake up swollen-i drink a bit each time i wake up-i also have the vapour plug in by the bedside and a humidifier-still super stuffy-use tons of chap stick before bed -i was sleeping on the recliner but its so uncomfortable:( i put a wedge under my pillow so i wasnt lying flat last nite and i sleep good!

12. twins2008

QUOTE(cottoncandysky @ Mar 1 2008, 06:56 PM) [snapback]648473[/snapback]
    feel better!!

Thank you

13. twins2008

Thank you. I have a humidifier that we run every night, it does help but not enough I guess. I can definitely use the vibes, thanks. :)

Jen

14. twins2008

I will have to look into that tylenol. I drink a lot, but it just doesn't seem to cut it. I use two pillows already because of the reflux also, I just hope the Prednisone that I started today kicks in and this swollen feeling goes away. I know what you mean about the recliner it is really hard to get comfortable, I have to at least lay on my side (I am usually a stomach girl). I just can't wait til I can just feel pregnant and not sick. thank you for the suggestions and I hope you feel better soon too.

15. Terrebeth1

Terrebeth1 Well-Known Member

I know just how you feel, except the fact that I am a bit behind you and not as big pregnancy wise. I have been sick now for a little over 5 weeks. My regular doctor gave me zithromax 250 mg. I took it and felt better for like 4 days. All of a sudden, boom...sick again. I got really upset. Last pregnancy I went to the pulmonary doctor because the same thing basically happened. I was not supposed to have an appt until March 14, but I begged them to let me have an appt sooner since I was so sick. They finally got me in on Wednesday and the doctor told me it was a good thing because I was very sick. He gave me zithromax again, but 500mg. He wanted me to take it for 10 days, but my insurance only approved 6 days. Tomorrow will be the last one. I might call the insurance and see if they can approve the 4 more. He said that once the sinus infection gets really bad you need to totally wipe it out or it will come right back. He also gave me a nasal spray, Nasalcourt, and an inhaler. He said if that does not help that he will give me advair.

I also sleep on my recliner and did when preg with my daughter. It really helps to breath better. I also put a little vasiline under my nose to help with the dry sking. I keep a few cough drops and water next to me for when my throat gets dry.

Have you ever tried a nasal rinse, such as Neil Meds? It really cleans out your nasal passages. It is kind of gross, spitting up and blowing out all that mucus. I also vomit once in a while. It is supposed to help keep the sinus infections away. I started using it again and hopefully it will help keep the sinus infections away once this one is cleared up.

I hope you feel better soon. Won't it feel nice to just feel pregnant and not be sick!

16. twins2008

I had an antibiotic last time which insurance would not cover the whole amount so the pharmacy split it into to, I had to go back after a week and refill it, insurance covered it that way. My allergist said we would try Advair if the Pulmacourt and Inderal (?) doesn't work. I am waiting til tomorrow to get the second one, the pharmacy had to order it so I am not getting relief yet. I can't use the Neil Meds. I have tried and it just won't drain out the other side or my mouth. I think I have a blockage in there somewhere. I go back to my ENT on the 14th so hopefully he will be able to provide some more relief. I just basically use nasal saline and a nasal steroid right now. It will be great to just feel pregnant. Thank you and I hope you feel better soon too.

Jen

17. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

QUOTE(nifer @ Mar 1 2008, 10:28 PM) [snapback]648694[/snapback]
    I will have to look into that tylenol. I drink a lot, but it just doesn't seem to cut it. I use two pillows already because of the reflux also, I just hope the Prednisone that I started today kicks in and this swollen feeling goes away. I know what you mean about the recliner it is really hard to get comfortable, I have to at least lay on my side (I am usually a stomach girl). I just can't wait til I can just feel pregnant and not sick. thank you for the suggestions and I hope you feel better soon too.

its a double whammy with the heartburn too isnt it:( I hope your meds work too! i would def ask your ob for a script to help u sleep:) i have slept so much better since minus my YDS making sure im not too well rested and i can still get up to tend to him :rolleyes:

18. twins2008

QUOTE(2+2more! @ Mar 3 2008, 01:25 PM) [snapback]650582[/snapback]
    its a double whammy with the heartburn too isnt it:( I hope your meds work too! i would def ask your ob for a script to help u sleep:) i have slept so much better since minus my YDS making sure im not too well rested and i can still get up to tend to him :rolleyes:

Thanks, I will ask him about it tomorrow. I have been so tired it is almost impossible to get anything done anymore. I guess I had better get used to that huh :lol: