Cant think of anything for Fathers Day

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinsnowwhat, Jun 17, 2010.

1. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

I am driving myself crazy trying to come up with something for Fathers Day. My husband is not a electronics gadget guy, not into sports or fishing or hunting, he is a chef so getting him anything to do with cooking is out. Last year I surprised him with a little get away all to himself, but we just cant afford it this year. I want to give him something sentimental from the boys but I am at a complete loss there as well. I used to be really good about this kind of stuff and now I cant think of anything. I was thinking of maybe having the boys finger paint something and frame it – although we have never done finger painting – I cant even get them to keep crayons out of their mouths.
    Currently Sunday my father and brother are coming over to our house for brunch then Sunday evening I told him I would make him dinner – whatever he wanted. But I just don’t feel like it is enough. I would love to get him something from me and something creative from the boys.
    Please help I am running out of time.

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I wish I could help but I am in no way creative! My dh basically gets whatever he wants on Sunday and some cologne that he needs :laughing:
    What about a nice watch?
    I've also done the home made coupons -- Like good for one breakfast in bed -- good for one night out -- good for one massage -- good for one shopping day, okay that one is totally my favorite LOL.
    Good luck!

3. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Last year I bought one of those concrete stepping stone kits, made impressions of the boys' feet, then stamped their names and the date on it. I'm not creative or artistic at all, but this was really easy. I got the kit at Michael's; it came with glass bits to make a mosaic design, so I just did some vines and flowers. DH loved it; he still hasn't installed it, but he's going to put in a path in our yard and it will look perfect as part of that.

This year, all he wants is a driver :rolleyes: so that's all he's getting. :D

4. jaclynkoehl

jaclynkoehl Well-Known Member

I bought a card and I'm just going to let the twins scribble in it and then write their name below the scribbles they make. We're going to go out for lunch and try to have a low-key day. Maybe we'll take him for ice cream too...

I would have liked to do something "bigger" or more sentimental but I think hubby will still be touched and I won't have to get stressed :)

5. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I went to a craft store and picked up some 8 x 10 canvas (about $10.00 for all three canvases) and acrylic paints and the kids are going to put their handprints on them and paint them and then I will write Happy Father's Day on them and hang them in his office. My kids are older, so obviously they can do more, but you could help them to make a canvas and then hang it in his office or bedroom. That's all we're doing for Father's Day.

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My husband enjoys going out to dinner and cards "signed" by the kids. I'm utter rubbish at coming up with gifts so I usually get him gift cards to his favorite stores.
    This year, I got him Phillies tickets (the game was supposed to be last week and was rained out) and a book on the Phillies announcers and he's going to dinner on Father's Day.

7. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

What about an apron the kids can decorate with hand prints or paint it in some way?

This year, I had a mug done up with pictures of the kids all over it. I'm probably going to get him some kind of music gadget, a book store gift certificate or digital photo frame. I haven't narrowed it down yet...guess I better get on that. lol

8. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

I'm getting a beer gift basket for my husband along the the replica of the official FIFA 2010 soccer ball.

9. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

That's the kind of gift my husband LOVES :lol: For previous occasions I've already given him a subscription to a local "Beer Of The Month" selection, so I probably won't do that again this year. Especially since I bought him a beer making kit for Christmas (he likes beer, what can I say :lol: ) I like the idea of those mosaics with hand imprints. DH will be out of town Friday and Saturday, we may be able to get that done and surprise him on Sunday.

10. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

we did a personalized calendar from snapfish for his office. it's all pics of the boys.

11. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I did this - got a different size one, maybe 9x12 or something. I put both sets of feet prints - side by side and turned the canvas so it was wide. its really easy. get like 3 or 4 of the different colors of paint and you're done. I painted the background one color. Then I put paint on a brush and then one foot at a time painted the bottoms of their feet - use a fair amount of paint but not too much... then you press their foot (or hand) into the canvas. Then I painted a title on it. Its so cute, and I'm impressed I'm already done.

Oh, and I also did a similar set up with fabric paint and put both sets of feet prints on a t-shirt for him. it turned out great too! (Joann's and Michael's both have blank t-shirts for sale)

Last year I got him a bike trailer for the kids to ride in behind his bike - he loved that! this year he's just getting the homemade gifts.

good luck!

12. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

We braved a paint your pottery place yesterday, painted their hands and pressed them onto a mug. I even got the corny I LOVE DAD mug. We were there for less than 1 hour. I quick painted the handle, wrote their names and wa-lah! Maybe you could do it on a serving platter or something that will remind him of them while he is in the kitchen?

13. tri159

tri159 Well-Known Member

I'm having the same dilemma...no idea what to do, no funds to do anything much anyways! I have some recent hand & footprints of the girls, (they're not the greatest but oh well) and might cut them out and so like a scrapbooking page that I'll frame for him. Thats the tentative plan anyways...haven't started it yet!!

14. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

White t-shirt, acrylic paint, stamp foot or hand prints on the t-shirt.

I did one when my oldest was about 16 months old, it was my dh's fav t-shirt for a long time! I haven't done it again since, and we now have 4 kids, so that's what he's getting this year!

I'm hoping to do their hands in a heart shape. Left hand cocked out to the left a little, then right hand, with the heel of the hand over the hell of the left hand, and cocked out to the right a little. Then I bought a fabric pen to write each childs name and age near their hand prints.

It should turn out okay, we'll see how the twins cooperate! :lol: