Car Travel tips for 4 yr olds

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by FirstTimeMom814, May 11, 2009.

1. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

So I think I have officially lost my mind and agreed to drive to FL this summer. :faint: It will be a 16 hour drive. So please tell me what gadgets and or travel accessories you have used to make the trip easier on the kids and yourselves. I know I need to get something to make their car seat more comfortable for potential sleep. So please give me and tips, ideas, product recommendations etc.....

TIA!

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Good luck.
    I know if we ever decide to drive to Florida, I'm going ot make sure my girls have the headphone for the DVD players with extra batteries.

3. MeldieB

MeldieB Well-Known Member

We've never done a drive that long, but we do 8 hour drives pretty regularly to MD to visit my parents. We have the car DVD players, which helps immensely. I also bring a ziploc bag of crayons for each of them, and buy those little mini coloring/sticker books you can find at Target (they have Disney Princess ones, Cars ones etc). I also bring lots of snacks in small ziplocs -- usually things that aren't messy, such as dried fruit, cereal, Annie's bunny graham crackers, apple slices etc. I give them a baggy of snacks every couple hours. I also bring books for them to look at. I try to buy a couple new ones, and then bring some older ones that they've not looked at in a while. We also play games (ABC games, where each person has to think of something that starts with "A", then "B" etc).

Good luck!

4. carmenandwhittsmom

carmenandwhittsmom Well-Known Member

We drive from MD to Hilton Head so I completely understand. We use DVDs, CDs, snacks, juice boxes, water, new toys, new books. Anything to keep them occupied. We generally stop for potty breaks/stretching every 2-3 hours (or more depending on them). We have packed a cooler to keep fruit in and to keep juice and water cold. That's about it. Start early also! Good Luck!

5. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Definitely recommend the portable DVD player. Easily kills 2 hours for a movie. I would just get some new books, maybe some new Leapster cartridges, coloring books, crayons, lots of snacks! :) You are a saint for agreeing to do this!

6. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(NicoleT @ May 11 2009, 01:13 PM) [snapback]1308920[/snapback]
    :) You are a saint for agreeing to do this!

Saint/fool...same difference right? :gah: I think I'm still in a bit of denial. I have to figure something out to make their car seats more comfy.

7. carmenandwhittsmom

carmenandwhittsmom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(FirstTimeMom814 @ May 11 2009, 02:15 PM) [snapback]1308926[/snapback]
    Saint/fool...same difference right? :gah: I think I'm still in a bit of denial. I have to figure something out to make their car seats more comfy.

I really wouldn't worry about the car seat too much. My kids' seats look awfully uncomfortable and the head is generally down in some strange position. However, they sleep and it doesn't appear to hurt them. If you do find something, let me know. We travel in July.

8. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

TAG books are my best friend on the car for long trips--plug in headphones and they are good for a long time.

Color wonder products (no mess), small toys, snacks,and CDs they like are our best bets on long trips. We travel 5-6 hours several times a year to IL w/o a DVD player, but it would be nice!

They sell car sleeping pillows for kids at Target ( u- shaped that go behind your head)

KC

9. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

1) A baggy of Cheerios (or for novelty's sake, Fruit Loops) and pipe cleaners...the kids could make bracelets for hours! We have done this for a couple years.
    2) A small notepad and a roll of scotch tape. The kids LOVE wrapping things up or even just folding paper and taping it! The tape keeps them busy! Just practice ripping it off the dispenser first so they don't have a tantrum in the car while trying to figure it out!
    3) DVDs...definitely recommend the headphones. Again, it is all about the novelty.
    4) A small notepad and stickers.
    5) Play I Spy. Or do a scavenger hunt. Like pick five things (a red car, a cow, an orange sign, etc.) and see if they can find all five things out the window.
    6) Mini magnadoodles
    7) New leapster game for their leapsters

I also took this recommendation from AliM and have been using it since our first road trip...when you stop somewhere to eat, stop somewhere where the kids can play. You can sit and eat, but let them run and play (a McDonald's play area, a park, a rest stop, etc.). Then let them eat in the car when you can back inside and on the road. The idea is that you want them MOVING when you stop...not sitting more.

We've never used anything special for sleeping, or any special trays for their laps. But it might night be a bad idea. 16 hours is a loooooong time. You really are a saint! :angel:

10. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

:Clap: You can do it! As for the car seats, I wouldn't worry too much, either. As long as they have their special pillow, blanket, whatever, they usually make do. We always stop ALOT! And sometimes I make a simple map with some of the "big" things along the way...even if it's just a state line, and then they can follow along and see how close you are getting.

Otherwise, sticker books and little toys (packed in a backpack or something) are what get us through. Along with snacks, snacks, and more snacks. Not too much sugar, though, or they really do not want to sit. I also have done the books on tape for them (I get them from the library). That way they can read them as much as they want...and with the ding, they know when to turn the page.

The other biggest thing is just playing games...I spy, the I'm thinking of game (for example, I'm thinking of something white...it's hard....you use it to eat...you brush it...more hints until they guess it right), counting tractors in the field...just all kinds of verbal and looking type games. That's really what gets us through the trips!

11. Tivanni

Tivanni Well-Known Member

We go on many car trips during the year ranging from 2 hours to 6 hours and we fly a 9 hour flight to Hawaii so I am always looking for things to entertain the girls.

Here are some of the things that really help the ride go smoothly:

1.For car trips I bought this Car Valet. We have a Toyota Sienna so there is enough room for it and while not perfect fitting, it does keep me from having to constantly pass things to them. Tip: to close we just close halfway so it's shut but easy enough for them to open themselves. I fill these prior to a trip: crayons, new color book, 1 new book, 1 box of stickers, 1 notepad.

2. For potty, I really like this one: Travel Potty You can use freezer Ziplock brand bags. Or we use these Potty Toppers

3. I check: Target, Dollar Tree and Michaels for $1 Items

4. Thermos has a good sippy Thermos that will keep water cold for at least 5 hours with a few ice cubes.

5. Others mentioned things we bring as well like the DVD player, tag books.

Sharon :)

12. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Trish, we decided to rent an RV for our 22 hour drive to FL next year. We figure it will be easier on the boys and we can stop over night somewhere and then head down to FL. Its not that expensive to rent either. My friend does that with all her long driving and it has worked well for them.