Career Day, what to dress them up as w/out buying anything

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Gin Elliott, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Gin Elliott

Gin Elliott Well-Known Member

Ok kids cant dress up for halloween but they are doing a career day...I dont want to have to go out and buy a outfit just for this day at school..(trying to save ) anyway I cant think of anything at all.....I am going to go thru the kids toy box to see if they can add anything w/what ever I find....please any ideas would be so greatful!
    Thanks

2. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'll probably have more ideas later, but I thought of these now.

chef- use an apron with some wooden spoons in the pocket
    mechanic- tool belt with toy tools, you could use washable black marker to put "grease" on some jeans or a shirt
    princess- Sarah is still firmly convinced that she can be a princess when she grows up
    musician- let them pick their favorite toy instrument to take and an outfit to match, like black clothes for a classical instrument, or more pop starish for other instruments
    fisherman- just regular clothes with rain boots for waders and a toy fishing rod

I'll keep thinking, but this is what I came up with for now.

Marissa

3. Gin Elliott

Thanks I dont know why I havnt thought of some of these......I might have an apron for my daughter...I will have to see..if not..I wonder if the dollar stores (every is a dollar) have things like these....I could do that if they had it..

4. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

Some quick things I thought of:
    Chef: if you have a chefs hat and some play food, maybe an apron or white coat
    Reporter: note pad and pen
    Photographer: camera, not sure how they dress but I assume not to fancy (depending on what type)
    Business person: Very nice clothes and maybe a briefcase if you got one or messenger bag
    Doctor: Stethascope around the neck, regular clothes, or white coat
    ranch hand: cowboy boots, jeans, hat
    Fireman or police man if you have dress up outfits
    workman: hard hat, tool belt

that's about it for now without going to much into costumes like a rodeo clown or something.

5. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Doctor, nurse, handyman (tool belt, construction hat...).

6. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

Our girls had a "When I grow up" day at pre-school. We mostly raided their dress-up box. Rosalie wore a scrubs top and a toy stethoscope and a name tag - I can't remember if she decided she was a nurse or a doctor. Ella wore a jeans, a vest and a flannel shirt, a toy hard hat, and her daddy's tool belt and was a builder.

Some ideas:
    sweatsuit + whistle = coach
    big white (adult) shirt, brushes & paints = artist
    Camo shirt & pants = soldier
    raincoat + sunglasses = spy or private eye
    denim + boots + cowboy hat = well, you know :)

I love dress-up days. Have fun!

7. Gin Elliott

Thank you so much..all the ideas are great..I have no idea why I never thought of any of them... :)