carpet maintenance

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by 1stbabies, Feb 14, 2011.

1. 1stbabies

1stbabies Well-Known Member

How do you keep the carpet clean and still let your little ones crawling and spitting up etc... at the same time?

Everytime we steam the carpet, I get such bad allergy for 1-2 weeks. I'm worry that our little ones may be like me if we steam the carpet.

2. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

Buy some big, cheap blankets and try to keep the babies there (or at least keep them there during the messy activities like eating). Then, throw the blankets in the wash. The last time we steamed our carpet it stretched and now we have lumps. :(

1 person likes this.
  3. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

I don't like carpet. We wash it monthly. We have carpet washer machine. I run air purifier after I wash it. Were fine. I can't wait until the kids cAn walk well so we change to wood floor.

I think you should wash yours especially when your twins get mobile. You cam rent washer at he depot for 25/day

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

This is exactly what we did on our area rugs. A few queen-sized blankets from Target (on clearance) all over the floors. It worked wonderfully. We plan to designate them as the picnic blankets in the future.

5. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

I have a steam cleaner. I MUST buy when you have pets and kids. We only have carpet in the hall and bedrooms so it takes all of an hour tops to steam all our carpets. We keep 2 big blankets down on the hardwood floors for the babies to play on in the living room.

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We had dog blankets from costco that were sort of "heavy duty" and designed to absorb pet mess :lol: . Plus, they weren't bad looking.. we had to wash them every single day because our kids were so bad about throwing up all the time. Around the time they started to crawl full time they stopped and we didn't need the blankets much anymore.