Carseats in airplane cargo

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by JenniferZ, Jul 12, 2008.

1. JenniferZ

JenniferZ Well-Known Member

Have any of you ever checked your carseats as luggage? Do I need to put them in some kind of bag? Would a really strong trash bag work? Will they get destroyed? They are actually just two extras/hand me downs, but I don't want them to get ruined, as Grandma will be putting them in her car.

Same question for strollers...

2. twins225

twins225 Well-Known Member

i have done both ways...with and without bag. if you decide to not use any coverings, be sure all the straps are tightly secured either together or inside the seat. also, understand there is risk of damage this way that the airport probably won't take responsibility for. i also used these TRAVEL BAGS for our second trip. they get a little beat up, but they protect the seats from getting torn and banged up. i highly rec. using these instead of garbage bags...you'd hate to get there to find that the seats had been damaged during the flight.

good luck

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I have Britax car seats ($$) and they have never been damaged traveling. They have traveled quite a bit. I use the big bags they have at the check in to protect them. I put them in and tie off the top and they poke a hole through the front and stick the tag around one of the arm straps.

I wouldn't worry about it!! I check my strollers at the gate. They get dinged but it's nothing I don't expect!

4. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I bought those travel bags and tried to put the carseats in it at the airport only to find out it would not fit!!! We ended up just putting it on with no bag and it was fine.

5. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

QUOTE(~* dfaut *~ @ Jul 12 2008, 11:49 AM) [snapback]873244[/snapback]
    I have Britax car seats ($$) and they have never been damaged traveling. They have traveled quite a bit. I use the big bags they have at the check in to protect them. I put them in and tie off the top and they poke a hole through the front and stick the tag around one of the arm straps.

I wouldn't worry about it!! I check my strollers at the gate. They get dinged but it's nothing I don't expect!

Ditto, we have checked ours several times and never had an issue. The bags they give you when you check your bags are pretty thick plastic, much thicker than a garbage bag!

The stroller make sure you ask for a bag at the bag check, and then I am guessing you will want to gate check that so you can use it in the airport, but you will want a bag for it (atleast we do!) so it doesn't get dirty/banged up.

6. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

We checked both our carseats and stroller right at the door of the airplane. We did not use bags and everything came out fine. Although they did loose one of the sunshades from our carseat, because those detach easily you may want to consider either using a bag, or perhaps packing those in your luggage so they don't get damaged or lost, same thing with the removable sunshade on your stroller (if yours had one).

GL

7. JenniferZ

JenniferZ Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I didn't know they provided bags at the airport, great.