Cats

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Mommy2PJ, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

So we just got two new kittens yesterday. I asked the OB what she thought before hand and she said as long as I didn't change the litter it was fine... but now I have myself freaking out about toxoplasmosis. We have an older cat already and now these two as well. I'm calling the vet to get them in today. But now I'm nervous. Am I just being paranoid??

2. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

So we just got two new kittens yesterday. I asked the OB what she thought before hand and she said as long as I didn't change the litter it was fine... but now I have myself freaking out about toxoplasmosis. We have an older cat already and now these two as well. I'm calling the vet to get them in today. But now I'm nervous. Am I just being paranoid??

3. Beth R

Beth R Well-Known Member

I was told the same thing- as long as you dont change the litter you will be fine. Toxo is from their poop.
    Congrats on the kitties!!!!

Hugs,
    Beth

4. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Yeah - just don't change their litter! and if you HAVE to clean
    up any poop (say, you are home alone) wear gloves!! Don't let them jump up on your furniture, or counter tops

5. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

I have a cat and asked the doc about it at my very first appt - basically, cats get toxoplasmosis from the outdoors, exposure to birds and things that have it, and it's excreted in their feces. If the cat is an indoor cat, you really don't have much to worry about. The doc can do a blood screen to check if you have (I think) the antibodies to toxoplasmosis, if you do, then your cat has it and you should not touch the litter at all. I was screened and didn't show anything, so I'm fine to clean her litter box. She's an indoor cat and has no exposure to things like that.

6. Megos99

Megos99 Well-Known Member

We have 5 indoor cats and DH changes the litter everyday. I wouldnt panic I think the chances are pretty slim if you just live with them and not change the litter.

7. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

Ditto on Kendra - the problem is when they are outdoor cats and they eat birds and rodents that are infected, it then gets transmitted in their feces.

That said, our fur babies are TOTALLY Indoor cats and i've had DH change the litter since the second we found out i was pregnant! he is away now but i change it and use thick rubber gloves. Not too much to worry about, I think. Enjoy them while they're baby kitties!

8. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

My dr. said that if you've had cats for awhile, you're probably already immune to it anyways....it's a good precaution though. When I was pregnant with my ds I stopped changing the litter, and I've never started again! My DH has done it for over 3 years now! Yippee.

9. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I agree with the previous posts... you'll be fine as long as someone else changes the litter. Enjoy your kitties!
    Helen