Celebrating Birthdays in the Classroom

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Tivanni, Oct 21, 2010.

?

Do You Bring Treats, Goody Bags or Both for your child's class?

1. Treats (cookies, cake, etc)

13 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. Goody Bags (small favors)

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Both

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tivanni

Tivanni Well-Known Member

We seem to have a lot of birthday celebrations around the corner!! Anyway, this is the first time they are in separate classes and in a large class of about 23 children each. We are out of town for the week of their birthday so we are having their birthday party with just family. I know they were so excited about sharing their birthday with their classmates so I wanted to send them to school with something.

Just wondering for those of you who celebrate their birthday in the classroom what do you bring?

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

In our school, they have actually cut out any edible treats--although when they were in K and 1st, we were still allowed, and I brought in an ice cream treat for the kids, and the parent was invited to read a book. I have never done goody bags. For one, we do them for the boys' birthday party, and two, I don't like the junk that comes in them, so I don't think they are necessary.

3. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I brought homemade cupcakes after verifying with the teacher that it was OK and that there were no allergies to worry about. The teacher had paper crowns for them to wear and I have no doubt they would have felt special even if I hadn't sent anything. I'm not a goodie bag fan either but if you're leaning that way, maybe buy a couple of the 24-packs of Playdoh cans? I had small prizes in a box for the kids to choose at the party and the Playdoh went first.

4. Tivanni

question for mods...I didn't know what public poll meant...can everyone see my results? I didn't check the public box because I thought it meant that it records who voted what. I hope everyone can see the results...Hope my question makes sense!

Hi Sharon,
    I know what you mean about goody bags filled with "junk" but I know I loved getting them. So I bought 50 boxes of crayons at the beginning of the year when they were on sale and some pencils and erasers at the Dollar tree for treat bags. I was going to have cookies and the goody bag but I'm thinking that I may just choose either treats or goody bags. I can always make treat bags with the crayons/pencils for another holidays. Maybe in February for Valentines when some children may need a new box at home. When I taught K we had goody bags from certain parents for every holiday.

Debid...playdough is a great goody bag filler! :)

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

In our school we can only bring treats (pre-cut) to lunch to celebrate birthdays. It is up to the principals here and at some schools there are principals who choose to not let parents bring anything in, not even at lunch time. I always take cupcakes to lunch.

6. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I would check with the school and then bring in a treat. Check to see if treats have to be prewrapped (purchased that way) or can be homeade.

I have never heard of goody bags at school??

You could do a pencil or stickers something small if the school does not allow treats, but a whole goody bag seems a lot for school (and not a formal party).

Usually the teacher/classroom does somethings special for the kids---crowns, hats, line leader, small prize, sing to them, etc.

It will be a fun day no matter what!

7. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We can bring cookies or cupcakes store bought only but as I have taken tomorrow off I can't take thing to school on Monday. I am going to get cupcakes for daycare as I can leave them when I drop them off. We are going to be out of town this weekend for their bday and just a small family party monday

8. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I bring in a treat (I only do a treat because the girls want me to bring something in for their birthday and I am one that doesn't like getting goody bags, they seem to get them for a lot of holidays and the pencils and small toys add up). For kindergarten I made cookies and first grade I made chocolate covered pretzel rods with sprinkles. The girls are in separate classes so I have to make at least 20 for each class which I usually make a few extra and for the pretzel rods I leave some plain in case of allergies or some kids might not like chocolate. This year the girls want the pretzel rods again so I will be making them.

9. debid

debid Well-Known Member

OH, and the mix I used didn't make enough to do it but my mother (who worked in the school office for years) said that's the office ladies will love you forever if you bring enough to give them a treat each when you sign in. Apparently, seeing the treats on a regular basis and never getting to eat any of them makes them sad.

10. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We are not allowed to bring cupcakes or anything edible for their birthday. We can bring in a goody bag if we want, or donate a book to the library in our children's name. One of the mom's brought in crafts for the kids to make to celebrate her daughter's birthday.

11. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For the op- I think that public poll means you get to see which member cast which vote. Private would mean we just see results.

We just bring treats. I've never seen a goody bag for a bday at school.

Marissa

12. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I didn't vote. This year, my 7 yr. old's class had restricted what we can bring in for birthdays. There are a lot of allergies in the class, so she asked that if we want to send something in for the class it should be a non-edible treat (pencils, erasers, slinkies, etc.) or donate a book. For my 5 yr. olds, I sent in rice krispy treats after double checking with the teacher.

13. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Here most people do a treat for the child's birthday. A set of twins that is in both of my girls class did oreos. One boy today brought in ices. I have found here that the kids who don't have school friends at the party also do some sort of goody bag.

14. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

We are not allowed to do anything for the kids b-days at school. I beleive they do get a Happy Birthday pencil, but no treats or anything.

I remember in the 3rd grade my dad was out of town for my b-day and I was so upset. He has a singing telegram dressed as a clown come to school. It was so embarassing.

15. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

Didn't vote because I don't bring any of it. We not supposed to bring food for birthdays but some people do and I don't have a problem with it as long as there's enough for everyone. It is recommended that we donate a book to the classroom in the name of the child who had the birthday and the teacher will read that book to the class during carpet time. Back when my kids younger (k or 1st I think) I did send in pencils with fun erasers on top for the kids.

16. LouCee

LouCee Well-Known Member

When the boys were in preschool and prek, we were allowed to bring in treats and goody bags. One school was the Jewish Community Center so treats had to be kosher. We got cupcakes from one of the bakeries they recommended for both schools.

Now they are in a different school and goody bags are not allowed. One twin's class is having a Halloween party and the teacher said no treats due to allergens so I don't know what we'll do for their birthday since the boys are used (and look forward) to the cupcakes. The teacher said for the Halloween party we can bring play doh, pencils, erasers, small book, etc.

17. Tivanni

Thanks for all the responses...it's interesting to hear what is allowed and not. Also interesting was the number of posts mentioning allergens. I don't recall this being an issue when I first started teaching. It started after about 6 years of teaching when peanut allergies became recognized as a major health risk for some.

I was going to get some fall cookies but Harris Teeter didn't bring any more in...they had the same trays from the week before. Unfortunately a great number was cracked. So I opted for goody bags with a box of Crayola crayons, pencil, eraser and Welch's gummies. I will say, that next time it will be a treat even if I have to make it. The girls had fun making the goody bags though and since we were out of town during their birthday I know they were happy to share something with the class.