Cervix questions/concerns

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Amycplus, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

Hi All,

At my u/s last week, my cervix was at 3.1 (no changes with gravity though which is good). I was told not to worry as that's still good and they are okay with anything above 2. But it's still so early and I want things to continue to go well. Today, I've been having sensations in my cervix, which I've had off and on but I guess it's making me more nervous because of last week's number. In order to avoid googling, I'm reaching out to you. Are these little pangs normal? Have others had a 3.1 cervix at 23/24 weeks and still held strong to term? Please help me resist googling and hopefully reassure me that it's possible for my cervix to hold strong!

Thanks,

Amy

2. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

From my understanding, those pangs are normal. My cervix measured 2.8 at 24 weeks, but I was put on bedrest because I was contracting as well. Have you been contracting? I would continue to rest when possible and stay hydrated (100 oz/day was the magic number I was given).

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I didn't have any cervical pangs with the girls but have had them a lot with this pregnancy - I always assumed it was baby hitting my cervix from the inside. :pardon:

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine was 4 cm & long & closed. It dropped at 28 weeks to 1.7. As far as I know, 3 is still good- if I remember correctly it was under 2 that they started to get concerned.

As to the sensations in your cervix- a question. What position is your baby A in? I ask b/c I had a breech A who would kick me straight down into my vagina- & I could feel it obviously on my cervix. It was like a short stabbing sensation.

5. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

I haven't been contracting. In fact, I was having Braxton Hicks before but they've really subsided.

Particularly today, they are kicking like Olympic swimmers and one is breach so the kicking me in the cervix theory makes sense. I am really trying to rest and drink as much as I can but water is giving me serious heartburn for some reason.

Cheezewhiz, when you went to 1.7 @ 28 weeks, did you go on bed rest or were you far enough along?

Thanks,

Amy

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Google Dr. Barbara Luke & calcium/ magnesium supplements. She's got recommendations for twins- I found that the supplement completely took away my heartburn both with my twins and with #3. The relief was longer lasting than tums or maalox and quite instantaneous for me, which is super nice.

My peri and ob did not think bedrest was necessary or proven scientifically to work- there have been no studies they said. (what pregnant woman would volunteer to not do everything in her power to prevent preterm labor?!) that being said, I put myself on bedrest and requested a follow up u/s to see if my cervix was still shortening. Thankfully, the rest brought me up to 1.9 and It stayed up until the end. I just could not chance having 29 weekers with knowing that bedrest does work for some people. It did for me. ;)