Cervix very soft & fingertip dilated

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jmcnett, Jan 15, 2009.

1. jmcnett

jmcnett Well-Known Member

At my last appointment (28 weeks) my doc told me that my cervix is very soft and I'm fingertip dilated. He didn't seem overly worried, but said to take it easy a little more. Is this something I should worry about? I know people walk around dilated to 4 for weeks sometimes, but the thought of having these babies anytime soon terrifies me. Everything I've read about preterm labor seems so vague. Unless your water breaks, or you have really strong contractions it seems like it could be hard to tell before it's too late. Any advice???

2. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I was a fingertip at 31 weeks but my cervix was still fairly long. I was 2 cm at 32 and 33 weeks, 3 cm at 34 and 35 weeks, 4 cm at 36 and 37 weeks and 4 1/2 at 38 weeks and when I was induced. They were close to 8lbs a piece so I think weight played a factor as well. At 30 weeks they already measured 9lbs combined (my oldest was a 9lbs+ baby). I did stop exercising, and took more rest in order to avoid preterm labor. I never felt any contractions.

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

My cervix was shortening, but not dilating, at my 28 week appointment, and I was put on modified bedrest, however, I was so worried that I put myself on strict bedrest, and stayed put until the end. I don't think you can be too cautious when it comes to your babies.

4. jmcnett

jmcnett Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies! I'm planning on taking it easy.