Change in appetite

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by janicecris, Mar 17, 2010.

1. janicecris

janicecris Active Member

I am just concerned of my DS, he is 2 mos old and is FF with occasional breastfeeding. He was usually able to finish 4 oz every 3 hours, no problems. He is usually the better eater than my DD. We decided to bump him up to 5 oz because he would still appear to be hungry all the time. He was doing well with the 5 oz for a few days, then he started to slow down... he would struggle at the end of the bottle. We got him back to 4 oz but he is still very inconsistent now with his feedings. There are times he would finish it off, then there are times he would not. What do I do? I asked the pediatrician but he said he is gaining weight so I should not be concerned about it, but it gets frustrating because I have seen him eat so well and now my DD eats better than he does...

My concern is it just happened about a week before their 2 month check up, so it might not reflect on the weight still. But if he continues like this, I'm scared he will slow down on his weight gain...

2. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

I don't the answer to your question but my DS and DD are going through the same thing. Every feed is now a struggle. DS used to gulp down >5-6oz and now we're struggling to get 4 oz down. He wriggles and kicks the whole time. He does have reflux and the zantac may have stopped working. Our DD was the amazing feeder now we struggle to get 3-4 oz into her, she either falls asleep at the bottle or refused the bottle. Our pedi didn't worry b,c like you at the 2 month checkup they were gaining weight. I hate that, weigth gain doesn't mean all is well... our babies just seemed to change in their feeding overnight. :grr:

GL to you

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Well that is the nice thing about having appointments every 2 months. They are in place to monitor the little ones. If you are concerned, I would call the Ped and let them know what is going on. They might bring you in for a weight check earlier than 4 months to see if anything is going on. He might might have some reflux or make a milk sensitivity. Have you thought about going dairy free for nursing to see if that helps? Could be something as little as he needs to go up a nipple size on the bottle. GL.

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Maybe he was having a growth spurt when he was taking 5 ounces. I know my pedi says that if they are having wet and dirty diapers to try not to worry. I know that's easier said than done. Maybe he'll go back to at least taking 4 ounces for you soon. If you don't want to wait for 2 months to take him to the pedi, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you bring him in for a weight check before the WBV.