Chewable vitamins with fluoride no longer available?!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Marieber, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

I went to pick up my girls' prescriptions for chewable vitamins with fluoride (our water here isn't fluoridated) and they guy behind the counter starts talking about the "dropper" and I'm like, uh no. The pharmacist then came over to explain that the chewables with fluoride are no longer available, something to do with stability. I haven't seen anything else about this. But in any case, I got a refund, I know my girls are not about to start taking the dropper again. Until they were two, they sucked it right out of the dropper like it was candy. But now I have to hold them down when they are sick to get medicine in them. NOT going through that every day, for any of us. So I got some other OTC mulit-vitamins (gummy bears!) and they are using fluoride toothpaste and we'll just hope it's enough...until they bring the chewables back. They will also get a fluoride treatment at the dentist soon.

2. AliPaige717

AliPaige717 Well-Known Member

About a month ago my sister also tried to refill my neice's vitamin's and was told that they were recalled. I had never heard anything and tried to look stuff up online and never found anything. I truthfully don't remember if she spoke to the ped about it or not. I am curious to see the responses to this topic.

3. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I heard the same thing. I have to get my girls some new vitamins.

The person who told me said it was cuz they were not selling enough. I have no clue though.
    Anyone out of NY heard this?

4. blessedby2

blessedby2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(marieber @ Jul 11 2008, 10:50 PM) [snapback]872654[/snapback]
    So I got some other OTC mulit-vitamins (gummy bears!) and they are using fluoride toothpaste and we'll just hope it's enough...until they bring the chewables back. They will also get a fluoride treatment at the dentist soon.

I caution you with these gummie vits...I, too, was looking into a multi for my kids and I used to work at a health food store so I know what is out there and I wanted to get them the best one out there. Oprah researched a bunch of vitamins in June 2004, and Lil' Critter Gummie Vits was one of them. They took the label off the products, sent them to a lab and asked them what does it contain. Lil' Critter Gummie Vits tested positive for LEAD! Surprisingly, they were was no recall. The company said it was a bad batch and that was it. There is no goverment regulations on supplements so they can get away with this. And, it makes me sad because I see them for sale at so many stores in my area. I hope the product has changed since Oprah's test, but who knows.

Personally, we take Juice Plus+. It's very safe because it is just food - 17 fruits, veggies and whole grains in a capsule, chewable or gummie. And, it's been written up in 13 medical journal showing how it benefits our bodies, and more studies are under way. My doctor and another twin mom told me about it, and decided to be a rep for the company. If you would like more info, you can check out my website at: Juice Plus+

Hope that helps.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I'm in NY too and my doctor said there was a recall on them awhile back. So we are still on liquid vitamins with flouride.

6. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

The same situation happened to us last month. I went to refill K&M's prescriptin of vitamin with fluoride and was told that they were on backorder. I called our pedi and was instructed to take a Flintstones vitamin (or something similar) and they'll call in a separate fluoride pill prescription.

When I went to buy the Flintstones and pick up the fluoride script, the pharmacist asked why I wasn't getting the vitamin with fluoride. I told her that they were on backorder. She informed me that it was only the brand/manufacturer that I was previously using that was on backorder. She filled the prescription with the exact same pill, just under a different manufacturer.

I'm not too sure what the old name was but now they take Qualitest Multi-Vitamin with Fluoride Chewable Tablets (0.5 mg).

7. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I just got them refilled on Monday. Now I'm going to have to look up this recall thing.

I have noticed that they never usually have them in stock anywhere, they have to order them. Of course, that happens with a lot of things we get.

8. AliPaige717

AliPaige717 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Juj @ Jul 12 2008, 08:26 AM) [snapback]872808[/snapback]
    She filled the prescription with the exact same pill, just under a different manufacturer.

I'm not too sure what the old name was but now they take Qualitest Multi-Vitamin with Fluoride Chewable Tablets (0.5 mg).

Now that I think about it. The last refill I got said that the brand is different but it is still the same thing. The new one is the one you are using. The pharmacist just said that it is the same vitamin and may look different than the ones we had been using. Never said anything about a recall or the others not being good.

I have to call in a refill tomorrow.

9. Marieber

Hm...I'll call my pedi's office tomorrow and see if I can get the scoop.

10. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I just got our flouride chewables renewed last week.

ETA: My dentist did say he could tell my kids use those vitamins because their teeth all look wonderful!

11. JennaPa

JennaPa Well-Known Member

My dentist says no Gummie anything - even vits - because they are so sticky and get stuck between their teeth.

I couldn't get my girls to take the flouride liquid so we've been using the flouride water to cut their juice. My Ped is fine with that.

12. Marieber

I talked to my pedi's office today and they report that some stores are now getting them back. So...I have to shop around and find them.

And in the meantime my girls LOVE the gummi-vites. Oops...