Chewing on hands?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Rollergiraffe, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Miles has been chewing on his fingers lately.. do they do that before they start losing their teeth? He's never been a thumb-sucker, so it's weird for him to always have his hands in his mouth all of a sudden.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can't say I have noticed that with my two pre-losing teeth.  But it could be.  It could also be nerves...my daughter will put her hands in her mouth (not a thumb sucker either) or her shirt and I asked her why do you keep doing that and she says, "I'm nervous." Last night she was nervous about bumblebees, even though there were only two out and they didn't bother her.
    The one thing I did notice about teeth is mine are drooling a lot more now that their 6 year molars are coming in.

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Royce sucks on his shirt when he gets anxious or bored, it started when he was 6.  So I'm going to say that it's probably just another way of coping with anxiety or boredom. 

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Both of my kids chew on their fingers occasionally.  Last year one would sometimes chew on her sleeve at school, but stopped after she put a hole in a favorite shirt.  When I ask them why, they something say its because their mouth hurts (one is still getting her 6 year molars and the other has 4 new teeth coming in where she lost teeth).  Sometimes I think they just do it to sooth themselves (but funny that my former thumb sucker does it less than the kid who never sucked her thumb or used a pacifier).  When I see them doing it I don't make a big deal (in case it is because of anxiety).. I just gently tell them "hands out."  

5. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Jack chews his nails. Drives. Me. Batty!!!!  I just remind him to take them out of his mouth bc they could/are dirty.  He's had a loose tooth for about 6 months but the dentist told us it wasn't gonna come out soon (6 months ago).

6. Rollergiraffe

Oz chews on his shirt when he's anxious, but this is all new for Miles. He has said that his teeth hurt, but I don't know whether they hurt from chewing or he's chewing because they hurt. It's not a huge deal, I just wondered if it was related to teeth becuase it reminded me of the teething phase. Neither boy sucked their thumb or fingers, so this just cropped up out of nowhere. Kids are weird, and do weird things.

7. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

parasites is a common reason for chewing

8. Rollergiraffe

:woah: Tell me more.

9. seamusnicholas

So to start and not freak you out, most people have parasites.  About a year and a half now we have been working with a homeopath dr.  One of my guys was diagnosed with lyme and through extensive (as in 25 blood tests to look for infections), we found his strep titers off the charts along with other things like hhvs and coxsackie.  Anyway, the strep crossed the brain barrier and caused behavioral issues and it was then determined he has something called PANDAS (for him it was lyme induced PANDAS).  Months later, my other guy started having overnight behavior problems (both had facial tics also).  So we found this ND who treated them with remedies.  A bit into it all, another symptom one of my guys got was chewing his shirt like crazy and creating holes and being made fun of.  Our ND put him on black seed oil and vermox and it stopped.  A quick google search will provide you with a ton of info on parasites.  Be prepared to be grossed out!

10. Rollergiraffe

I am a biologist.. nothing grosses me out ;) . Poor kiddo having to go through 25 blood tests though :(

11. seamusnicholas

We had to split it up in 2 maybe 3 days...I can't remember!