Chiropractor?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lcjackman, May 5, 2013.

1. lcjackman

lcjackman Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever taken their infant to one? We've noticed as of late that DD (nearly 4 months) seems to favour holding her head in one direction and although her neck control and range of motion is good she definitely settles to one side when we put her in her carseat, swing, bed, etc. Neither dh or I have ever been to a chiro before but mostly because we've never had a reason to. I'll admit, it makes me a little nervous but the neck thing is getting more pronounced.

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Have you taken her to a doctor? I would definitely take her to a doctor. Personally, there's no way I would take an infant to a chiropractor. And even if I did, I wouldn't let them touch her neck. I wouldn't let them touch my neck.

3. lcjackman

She has an appointment with our family physician tomorrow. I just had a couple of people suggest chiro to me over the last couple of days and was curious. I'll be taking her to thevdoc tomorrow either way, just wondered what people's experiences were.

4. efaith

efaith Well-Known Member

No personal experience but lots of people I know swear by cranial osteopaths for babies and this sort of thing

5. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Both my SIL's take their infants to chiropractors. I am friends with two chiropractors. I have gone to one off & on for the past two years. I have never brought my kids to one.

6. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I've taken all of my kids to a chiropractor and some of them when they were babies. Mostly he just felt them and told me they were fine. When he adjusts kids, he doesn't do any manual adjusting like you think of, with grabbing a head and yanking on it type of thing. He has this little clicker that looks sort of like a door stop on a metal syringe. It is a very light click. He's done it on my hand so I could feel it. Spencer got seriously hung up on my pelvis during birth and had to be vacuum extracted. He didn't nurse well at all at first and always seemed to favor one side. I saw a lactation consultant who actually suggested the chiropractor. I hadn't thought about it, because I live an hour away from him now. After taking Spencer in once, things improved pretty dramatically. He was only a few weeks old.

7. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

This is a link that lists some possibilities. According to this the most likely possibility is Congenital Muscular Torticollis which is muscular not skeletal.

I would opt for your pediatrician first or even a childrens physical therapist.

DD had a preference to lie on one side. She even got a flat head on one side. i had a Dr. examine her. he did not find any indications of Torticollis but did want to watch the flat head. he gave me some exercises and instructions on how to encourage her to sleep on the other side. i use to get up in the middle of the night and roll her over. ^_^ She no longer shows any preference for one side and has a nice round head. :) And according my friend (the kindergarten teacher) she is amazingly coordinated.
    I hope they find it is just a preference with your DD also but is good you are getting it checked.

8. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Rayce had torticollis. We just had to exercise his neck with him. We worked it out and he's good now. We never took him to the chiro just our pediatrician.

9. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

At four months my son began therapy for torticollis. This is what your daughter may l have.

10. lcjackman

Yup definitely Torticollis - mild case apparently and prescribed physio. I had never even heard of this before now! Poor girlie :(