Christmas gift ideas for boys, 5-8

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by rissakaye, Nov 1, 2010.

1. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Place to organize all the xmas gift ideas.

Marissa

2. rissakaye

I'll get this one started also. Timothy has his 7th birthday 3 weeks after xmas so we try to limit the stuff.

For xmas, we're getting a Wii as a family gift. He'll also get some small stuff in his stocking.

For his bday, I'm honestly a little stuck. He really wants his own bowling ball. But I already know that that will lead to a constant struggle about him wanting just try it in the house. He wants a soccer goal, so I'll make sure that either we or my parents get him that. I'll probably also get him a nice basketball. He's hit the sports stage. I also would love to find a small left-handed ball glove for him. Beyond that, I don't know. He likes Star Wars, but he gets really mad and frustrated with how precise the lego sets have to be. I'll probably get him some gift cards or something like that. I'm still open for ideas for him.

Marissa

3. Monica O

Monica O Member

Board games?

Does he like any particular type of books? My DS is turning 7 in January as well and while he is still an early reader he loves any kind of story related to hockey.

4. rissakaye

Timothy loves games and we did the huge board game stock-up last year for xmas and bday. He does like books, but I've already given out 3 different lists of books to 3 different relatives. I did finally have a good idea today. There are some cd's that he really likes of music we sing at church and I found one with the perfect grouping of songs for him. I also will get him the hymnals those songs are from so he can follow along with them. He loves singing and music. Since I was a music major in another life, this is something me and him tend to do together.

Marissa

5. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've only bought a couple of things, but one of them is Buzz Lightyear Operation for Nolan. I think the ages on it are 6+.

6. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Ben's list so far includes: Pillow Pet, Star Wars action figures, Legos, Light Saber (General Grievous spinning light saber), and new bedding (he wants Star Wars sheets, blankets, etc.).

7. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

So far I have gotten Jayden a few of the larger (and unfortunately more expensive) Star Wars Lego ships and the Harry Potter Lego train. Jesse picked out a Lego Medevial Castle .. and a magic set. I also got some Imaginext Space Shuttle playset for the boys to share .. Jayden picked this one out .. even though I think he's a little old for it .. we have the Batman Cave and the boys still lug it out and play with it for hours ! I am REALLY thinking about the X-Box Kinect .. but we have a Wii and I'd rather them play that .. I'm wondering if Nintendo is on the verge of releasing their own version.

8. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

Michelle,
    Are your boys able to put those big kits together on their own? Do they keep them together once they are made up? We got the boys some smaller sets last year (like construction vehicles) to find out they really needed dh or me to construct them. Afterwards I spent weeks trying to remember what went where to rebuild after a spill. They really want a couple of big sets, but I just dread going through that again. I wouldn't mind if we built it, they played with it for a bit, then destroyed it to put in the already insane amount of Legos we own, but they want it to stay together and look "just like the box" long after we have misplaced the instructions and several pieces.

9. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Jayden can .. Jesse not so much .. Jayden usually ends up doing it for him. Jayden has a real aptitude for putting things together. I even have a hard time following the instructions past step # 3. :laughing: I wouldn't even ATTEMPT to put together one of those bigger sets but don't doubt Jayden will do ok with them. But he's very serious about it and will work 5-6 hours on one set alone.
    As far as keeping them together .. Jayden is very careful with them once they are built and puts them in a high up place to keep them safe. If one happens to break apart .. he can usually figure it out again .. but we keep the instructions in a special draw in a sealed baggie with any extra pieces. We do have boxes of assorted Lego pieces from earlier sets that ended up in a heap.
    I really wouldn't spend the money if he wasn't so passionate about them. I still don't get WHY they have to be SO pricey !!

10. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

My son is really, really into Legos, but he doesn't do well with the mega sets. The $10-$30 sets are just right for him. Anything past that and DH and I have to help!

We have added to our list, the Huffy Green Machine.

11. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

My son asked for 3 things for christmas. Seriously, his list is short this year.

a lego passenger airplane
    a nerf gun
    a remote control firetruck

We are also getting him the lego airport set because we think he would like it.

12. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

Demolisher (Transformer). That is all he has asked for for 2 years. They no longer sell it in stores, so we will have to get it from eBay. I wish we had been able to afford it last year. But, at least he will finally be getting it!

13. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

The boys are getting

Pillow Pets

Large talking Buzz and Woody from Disney story. I was able to get both for $25.00 bc of coupons and a damaged box:)

Buzz Operation

Toy Story game (kinda like the fishing game)

Wii system (family)

Games and a few movies:)