Christmas!

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Fran27, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Do your kids know what they want yet? DS wants the mutant turtle ninja RC shellraiser (thanks TRU and groupon for letting me have it at 60% off) and some angry birds race set that has horrible reviews, so I'm going to pass on that as I picked up a cheap Hot Wheels set last year anyway.. DD wants everything. I hope she decides on something at some point though (and not the babyish stuff she'll outgrow in 6 months). I got them a couple Playmobil sets and a puzzle each as well, and I have some Lalaloopsy stuff for DD too.

I guess it kinda helps that we don't watch tv with toy commercials...

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Ana wants a razor scooter. Meara wants more robot k'nex building sets. I have a couple of my little pony things that I bought last year and never gave them so I will probably wrap those up too. Before I can really go full on with Christmas shopping, I have to clear out their current toys and make a delivery to the thrift store. Hopefully in the next two weeks I will finish that.

3. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Mine are both getting loft beds.  They need more available floor space in their small bedrooms, and they are excited about sleeping up high and having a desk of their own.  We've been pushing loft beds for at least 6 months, so I know that's top of the list for both of them. :)  How we do the Christmas morning thing with these, not so sure yet.

4. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Not sure what the crew wants over here. Anthony did circle almost everything in the TRU catalog lol.

What we did last year was spent a night at an indoor water park as part of their gift from us. So we asked them, and we are going to do it again this year(except do two nights instead of one). We cut back on the gifts and it works out well. I already can't wait for the two nights away! We do it in January right before tax season starts for dh.

5. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

I think the little boys are getting bikes this year. Andrew is probably going to get a phone (sigh). Outside of that, I'm sure it'll be Legos, gift cards, and books. We don't go crazy at Christmas. One big gift, two or three small ones and their stocking. 

We did Great Wolf Lodge last year for two nights (thanks Groupon!) and it was SO fun. I missed out on the last one, but if another comes up, I may snag it. It was such a fun weekend away and the boys are begging to go back. I'd much rather go during off season too. ;)

6. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

DS has been asking for a big fire engine for quite some time now. He will probably get a Playmobil one.

I am not sure about DD as she has not asked for anything special yet (maybe because we have no TV and I hide all toy catalogues?). Possibly some dolls' furniture and clothes.

Apart from one big gift they usually get a book or two and a puzzle or board game from us. They are playing so well with their current toy collection, they really don't need much now and they will be getting new beds soon because we will need the nursery and at least one of the toddler beds (converted from cribs) for the baby - but not for Christmas because there is no way we can clear our office/guest room which will be their room before the holidays.

7. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Christmas is so hard for me. Their birthday is a at the beginning of December, so we get the double whammy. But what makes it more difficult that my kids just don't play with toys!! 

We got them bigger bikes a week or so ago as their early birthday. We were going to wait, but then Reagan blew out a tire and it just made sense (they were tiny bikes!) to go ahead and get their big bikes. They both know that's birthday from us. But that still leaves Christmas up in the air. They are literally outside almost all of their free time on their bikes or scooters and rarely play in their rooms. 

I know most of the family thinks we're nuts, but as of right now their big Christmas is going to be each getting their own iTouch. We're getting refurbished ones to save money, because they will just be 6. But that's one of very few things they've asked for. Plus, Reagan loves music and dancing so we can load it up with her favorite songs and they both love the apps/games they can play. 

Reagan wants an American Girl doll, but I'm not sure if I'll do that for Christmas or if I'll wait and do a special trip to the store with her and my MIL for a special girls' day before the baby comes. 

Jason hasn't asked for anything really besides the iPod. 

This age is hard for me!

8. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

My two got iPod touches for Christmas right before they turned 3. It was a good purchase for us.

9. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls lived their iPod touchs then their iPads. I love reading their iMessages to their friends. Or even to dh and I.

We are taking the girls to see America's got talent live and the lion king on Broadway.

10. gina_leigh

I'm glad to get some positive feedback for the iPods! We really do think they will be over the moon with them and probably get much more use than other options. 

We went to see The Lion King a year and a half ago when it came to New Orleans. Oh my goodness! It was so awesome and we had aisle seats to boot. And we were on the aisle where the elephant came in! I'm not joking in that the kids will still occasionally talk about it! They LOVED it!  I think Jason stood up the entire time leaning on the poor people in front of us. Not because he couldn't see, but because he was just that enthralled.  

But when the animals came in- I will never forget the looks on their faces. Priceless! 

11. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

Let's see my son want an iPad, a flat screen tv for his room, a ds and the new xbox360 that is apparently coming out soon and whole lot of other things.  I am thinking he will be disappointed on Christmas morning if he doesn't decrease the dollar value of his list.

My daughter wants an art kit and gak. 

I am not sure what they will actually get because DH and I haven't discussed yet.  In my mind it seems like Christmas is so far away, but I know it isn't. 

12. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

They want the Playmobil passenger/cargo airplane and the add on cargo truck set, playmobil camping set, Lego 3 in 1 house, Lego windows and doors, Lego mini figures and dog, ukulele, and gifts for the dog.

They'll probably get most of what they want split between Xmas and their birthdays which are a month later, plus some books, clothes and stocking stuffers.

13. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've actually got most of xmas bought.  

Sarah is getting the Melissa and Doug Victorian dollhouse.  She loves her dolls, makes things for them.  It really is perfect for her.  We're getting the bathroom set to go in it.  I know that grandma is getting the kitchen set.  We're also getting her the DS Lego Friends game.   For her bday, we're getting the Melissa and Doug Stables to give her ever growing herd of toy horses a place.  We'll also probably get her a nicer Bible and Bible case for her bday.

Timothy is getting a full-auto Nerf for his xmas.  He's also getting some Mario Kart Knex track and the DS Lego Ninjago game.  For his bday, we're getting a big Lego Ninjago set (haven't decided exactly which one yet) and probably a nicer Bible and Bible case also..

Marissa

14. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Legos….lots and lots of legos.

DD2  asked for Snap Circuits and DD1 wanted 'dance' wear- so we will get those things for them.

I ordered fun leg warmers & some barbies that they each wanted as well.

Other than that-- pretty quiet so far on the lists.

Right now, they dont ask for any technology so we dont suggest it :D  We have a family ipad that they use as a radio/music. 

15. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have no idea what I'm getting the kids. Am I the only one with kids who don't ask for anything? Seriously, when I ask them to tell me something they want, they don't come up with anything.

I think I'm going to get the girls the Barbie dream house and Cooper some magna tiles.

I'm scaling way back this year.

16. gina_leigh

I did find some great deals at Walmart today on Halloween costumes. They do like dress up clothes and I found several costumes marked down to $5. So, Jason got a couple superheroes and a pirate. Reagan got a witch, a pirate, Supergirl, and Ariel.

Then I found an older version of dance party for the Wii marked down to $5 at SAMs and Rea loves that game.

I do love a good deal!

1 person likes this.
  17. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This is me.  We don't watch TV with commercials (I hate commercials on general principle, which is why I DVR everything), so my kids really do not ask for much.  Which is good in one way, but difficult when family and friends ask what they would like.
    Like Gina, we have December birthdays too (day after Christmas) so it is hard and it's like we have to shop twice as much but here's our ideas so far.
    DD: pirate chest with gold coins and a sword and spyglass.  She did ask for that.  Lalaloopsy doll, she wants a puzzle (so I have to pick that up), Daisy the play with me cat, books, clothes, bracelet maker, Leap Pad Hello Kitty math game
    DS: firehouse play set, Monsters Inc scare factory (both to share really), Leap Pad math game, books, solar system books, police car toy, firetruck toy, DH is treating him to a day at the Philadelphia Auto Show...my son is crazy obsessed with cars.  Clothes and books
    Their birthday-she is getting an American Girl doll-gift from my Mom and us.  He is getting a bike-a gift from my Mom and us.

18. KCMichigan

This is what we do too--- they see very few commercials, but do talk with friends at school.

We keep a running Amazon list for friends and family. Makes it super easy for Bday and holiday shopping. We can put games, books, music, toys, etc on there easily so that it is not hard to share specific items and/or keep duplicates to a minimum.

19. gina_leigh

I hadn't thought of doing an amazon list. Because we are already getting tons of questions on what to get the kids, that would make things easier!

Mine are the type who can look through a toy catalog and want everything in it. But when it comes to choosing just a few, they have a hard time. Like I've said, they just don't play a lot with toys. Their bikes and razor scooters on the other hand are used every single day it doesn't rain.

The only thing they've really asked for (and consistently) has been iPods and now Reagan's asking for the American girl doll.

I wish they were Lego kids, but so far they haven't gotten into them. Occasionally on a rainy day they'll get some play, but not very much.

20. KCMichigan

I LOVE the Amazon list. You can add non-amazon site items to it too…which is great (they have a universal wish list button).We have had one since before they were born. We sit down and update it every few months TOGETHER to add/remove items.

It is great for specific items (book titles, kits, games, ect.). Plus- when they are purchased- they get removed….so no doubles.

I simply email out the Amazon link around Bday and Xmas. Great and easy for everyone! All our family members keep them up to date. It makes it super easy to pick out birthday/Holiday gifts! 

21. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

No idea at all! Tonight we ran in the sports store and p/p wanted camo clothes and boots (the pink camo) bow and arrows or a gun. Where did these little rednecks come from? Not at all anything I would have requested:)
    I have considered getting each a kindle fire (they have iPod touches ), or a tv for their room. Overall they really haven't asked for anything.

22. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

they haven't said anything yet!! grr I love to shop for Christmas, so for them to not be making a list is driving me nuts lol. I have been tossing toy mags at them everytime they come in the mail. Not much luck so far. grr

23. ohtwinmom

ohtwinmom Well-Known Member

Same problems here, there is nothing they want but they are bored with everything they have.  We are December birthdays too!  They are turning 7. They used to love legos and be really creative with them but right now they just sit there.  They aren't into video games at all.   I have no idea what to get!  They need bikes and a basketball hoop but those won't get me through a mid-west winter...
    So far I've picked up a spirograph, a Melissa and Doug Magic set, a lazer maze, and snapcircuits as well as a few games.    We are thinking Kindle Fires as they've outgrown their leappads and that may be it. 

24. kim01

kim01 Well-Known Member

Aimee your not alone. My boys really haven't said anything they want. When we did their b-day we kept just saying you will get it if you ask for it. Ha I thought I was the only parent with kids who don't ask. We kept offering suggestions to them. They almost didn't get anything b/c they wouldn't say what they wanted. With us, my mom, my dad and their aunt. I have several people who buy for them.