Chromosome Problems from IVF (ICSI)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Mommy2BofTwins, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Mommy2BofTwins

Mommy2BofTwins Well-Known Member

Hi Girl,

I just found out that i am having a boy and girl this week which i am thrilled about but in my level II scan doc told me that the babies that are born with IVF (ICSI) in some rare cases they had Chromosome Problems and they can do an amniosenthesis as soon as possible which will clear the doubt but there is a very big chance of miscarriages so i really don't want to do an amneosenthesis but i wanted to know if doc said to anyone else also and their babies were fine :) or any other information they have on this topic.

I have waited over 4 years to be pregnant and have babies and i am really worried about this issue if anyone has any info please let me know

2. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Never heard this before. I would not risk an amnio if the only reason you'd be doing it is to find out about miscarriage. Unless you are considering reduction upon unfavorable results; I would NOT do an amnio.

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ivfbound078 @ Jun 15 2008, 09:25 AM) [snapback]827682[/snapback]
    Never heard this before. I would not risk an amnio if the only reason you'd be doing it is to find out about miscarriage. Unless you are considering reduction upon unfavorable results; I would NOT do an amnio.

A very strong DITTO here! There is a risk of miscarriage with an amnio. Unless you would change the outcome of your pregnancy, I would not do one.

4. Millie&twins

Millie&twins Well-Known Member

Hey Mommy2Boftwins,
    I think you should really talk to your OB again, since the counselling he/she ave you is pretty inaccurate.
    Yes there are some chromosome abnormalities that are more frequent with ICSI, especially disorders that are called imprinting disorders. However they need to be tested for specifically, so not every Amnio tests for them. If your Dr thinks that your babies may have an imprinting disorder, have her/him explain to you exactly what he/she thinks.
    The chromosomal imbalances that an amnio will test for (trismoy 13, 18 and 21) are not more frequent for ICSI babies.

Also the risk of miscarriage of an amnio is between 0.5 and 1% which means that of all babies that have an amnio 1 of every 100 to 200 babies miscarriages afterwards. In twins the risk is slightly higher and if one miscarries the other one may also miscarry.

Also you are at 21 weeks which is really late to bring this up. An amnio should have been done at around 14 weeks, so that if there is a problem and you decide not to have one or both of the babies the whole process was less traumatic.
    Why did your Dr bring it up now? Did he/she see anything in your 20 week scan that alarmed her/him?

I am a genetic counsellor, so if you have any questions, you can always PM me, but I will not be able to give you correct advice without knowing your case and you should never take the advice from a stranger over the internet. However I may be able to clarify some things, explain why the Dr wants to see and tell you a bit more about imprinting disorders.
    Love, Millie

5. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I would not risk the amnio personally.

6. Tracy623

Tracy623 Well-Known Member

Ditto to the PP. If you wouldn't do anything then why take the risk. All three of my children are IVF with ICSI and we are very lucky to have all healthy children.

Good luck to you!
    Tracy

7. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

We used ICSI and no one ever mentioned this to us. We have healthy babies.

8. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

2 more ICSI/IVF babies here!!! They are perfect :D Our IVF Dr did tell us risks can be higher, but he said they are related to the reasons for ICSI/fertility to begin with- andif a pregnancy occured and went past 12 weeks that we had a very very very similiar chance of having healthy happy babies as babies coceived w/o IVF/ICSI.

KC