Circumcision

Discussion in 'General' started by emp59, Dec 9, 2010.

?

Is your son circumcised?

1. Yes

68.8%
  2. No

26.6%
  3. Other

4.6%
  1. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

DH and I were discussion circumcision and how we feel that it is very common amongst men our age , but I am thinking that it is becoming less common in the newer generations. I'm definitely not trying to start a debate, I'm just curious about the numbers! TIA!

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am the other. We had both boys and we were not going to circumsize, and we didn't. However, we found out after Anthony was born that he had hypospadias/chordee. So, even if we wanted to circumsize him, we couldn't. He needed that extra skin for his surgery.

So Nicholas is not circumsized and although Anthony isn't technically, he probably looks it. He was given testosterone cream before his surgeries to 'grow' the skin around his penis and they used that for the repair.

3. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

yes, our son is. Almost was not because the Dr did not follow through with our wishes from pre delivery. Not sure if him being born somewhat early (35+ weeks) or because of his low birth weight (5.1) but he was done a few days before he was discharged.

4. a1cbrandy

a1cbrandy Well-Known Member

Yep Garrett is. But I had a jack*** doctor who did it 3 days after his birth. And I swear he messed it up. There is extra skin, since he has gotten older it doesnt look as bad, but I was worried when he was a baby.

Brandy

5. MeredithMM

MeredithMM Well-Known Member

Our sons are not. At the time I was nervous about the decision because where we live it is uncommon *not* to do it. However, I am very, very thankful we did not do it. It was one of those decisions where I went with my gut and have been thankful ever since.

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i voted other because we only have girls, but if i had boys they wouldn't be circumsized.

7. SuzyHolland

SuzyHolland Well-Known Member

In Holland it's only done for medical and religious reasons.

8. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

Our boys aren't. Since my husband isn't I wanted them to "be" the same.

9. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Yes. And because the doctor didn't take enough to start with, he was recircumsized under general anesthesia at 10 months. Even with that, no regrets.

10. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Yes, but DS#1 looks like he hasn't been - I guess they didn't take enough skin. We decided not to re-do it - the pedi said it may correct itself as he gets older, so we decided just to let it be.

11. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Our first DS is - split second decision when the ped. came in my room at the hospital and said we need to do it today, if we are going to. DH and I were undecided - told DH to choose - and he went for it since he was, too.

Our twins are not. They were born at 35 weeks, their penises were the size of an earth worm and we were undecided anyway - so the idea of something the size of an earthworm being cut just finalized our decision for us! :)

12. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Yes, all three of my sons are circumcised. No regrets. I'd make the same decision for a baby boy today.

13. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My son is circumcised and I let DH make that call. If I were to have another son today, I would do the same.

14. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Both of our boys are, and I would still make the same decision.

My sister had something similar happen with her second son. I think he was a little over 1 when he had it "redone".

15. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Nope .. none of my 3 boys are. My oldest is 19 and the twins are 6 .. no regrets, no problems.
    My 3 yr old grandson isn't either. That was my dd's decision.

16. Lynn76

Lynn76 Well-Known Member

All 3 of my ds's are not circ'ed. My oldest had chordee repair when he was 6mos old and looks like he has been but is not. Our twins are not. I am so glad we chose not to. Its their body they can make that decision when they are adults.

17. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Royce is. And I'd probably do it again.

18. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

No. I got pregnant in Europe where our Swedish midwife was shocked that we would even consider doing it. So we researched and decided against it. Turns out that neither my OB nor the ped would do it, so even if we wanted to have it done, we would have had to find someone else. And once they were born, there was no way in h3ll someone was taking my newborn infant and cutting anything off of him. Momma Bear kicked in. :aggressive:

We haven't had any problems. I'm not worried about problems in the future either. You hear horror stories of adult circumcision for medical reasons, but my theory is that American doctors just don't know how to deal with a natural penis. Thank goodness doctors don't surgically remove noses, eyes, or vaginas if they repeatedly get infected.

9 people like this.
  19. Christel

Christel Well-Known Member

I was an other because some of ours are and some aren't. Older ones are, younger ones aren't. If we have more boys, they will not be either.

20. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

My son isn't and I'm happy with our choice. :good: We saw no real need for it.

21. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Mine are. They were actually circumcised at home on my kitchen table at 8 days old per religious custom. It wasn't a big deal, and they cried more at the alcohol swab and being cold then they did for the actual procedure. The person who did it was a pediatrician who has been trained in the religious ritual for a bris.

22. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yep both my boys are. Mitchell had to have it done at 6mos old because he was in the nicu for 3 mos and they wouldn't do it in the nicu. So we waiting till he was a little older and already going through anesthesia for a bronchoscopy and tubes being put in his ears.

23. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Yep all 3 of my boys are and I left it up to my dh. He is so he wanted them to be the same. I have no regrets and would do it again for another baby boy.

24. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

yes my son is and I would make the same decision again...he wasn't in any pain (they gave him novocaine in his hips) and a drop of tylenol afterward...nurse said he slept through it...

25. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Jake is. I'd do it again if I had more boys.

26. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

This is exactly the situation for my boys as well, so I'm another "other"! DH and I were completely in agreement that we would not circumcise, but Jack had hypospadias/chordee as well as a partial "natural circ", so we needed all that foreskin for the repair.

Yes, the boys look "different" than each other down there, but they look different almost everywhere else too! :pardon: I expect it to be a non-issue as they grow up.

27. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

All 3 of my boys are, and if this new baby is a boy he probably will be too.

28. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We were ambivalent about it but put it off b/c Sebastian was not a good nurser and I didn't need something else to wig him out. Then when we were supposed to go have it done at 2 weeks old, we drove to the wrong hospital (there are 2 Children's Hospitals in Denver). So we didn't do it that day & gave up. I'm glad now we didn't do it- I figure they can have it done anytime they want.

29. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

My son is not. It was never presented to me as an option. Not mentioned, ever, my any medical personal I delt with before or after his birth or in the ten months since. And this is the first time any one at all has asked me this question. It's just not normal in most of the world.

30. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My son is. DH was adament about it. His dad didn't and in his early 60's had to have it done for some medical reason. He said it was the worst pain he has ever gone through.

31. SuzyHolland

SuzyHolland Well-Known Member

Same here in Holland!!
    For me it's very interesting to read, because it's so not an issue here.

32. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am an "other" vote. My older son is, younger is not. If I were to have another boy, he would not be.

33. Twinrific

Twinrific Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Same here. The norm is not to be circumcised here so I always find it interesting when the subject comes up on TS because it generally gets heated and it's something I honestly don't understand (the discussions getting heated) since it's such a non-issue here.

34. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

It looks like the current poll results just about match the data I used to teach in my Sociology of Sexuality class. At one time well over 90% of American males were circumcised, now it's down to somewhere around 70%.

I don't really agree with it, but both my sons are circumcised. My DH is from a very pro-circumcision culture, and they traditionally circumcise both male and females. Ironically, he thinks male circumcision is fine, but female circumcision is wrong. He really wanted the boys to be circumcised, and I didn't fight him on it.

Edit Typo.

35. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Is it ironic? I circumcised Jack and think female circumcision is wrong. They are different things IMO.

1 person likes this.