Clingy? And an unexpected Dr. visit!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Amylwood, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Amylwood

Amylwood Well-Known Member

The past week I have really noticed some changes. Eli especially has become really clingy. I can't even walk of the room because he starts crying. Now Emma has started as well. Plus they seem to be jealous of one another and try to push each other off my lap. Tonight I thought I was going to go crazy because they were both screaming and wanting my attention but didn't want me to hold both of them at the same time! I am use to the clinginess. I have had 3 other kids but not 2 clingy kids at the same time! lol What do you all do?

On a different note, I had to take Eli to the doctor today because my husband noticed he was really swollen when he changed his diaper. It really scared me but it turns out his testicles have ascended thus the swelled look. The doctor said they will probably ascend and descend many times until he starts producing testosterone. I have had 3 other boys and never dealt with this. Anybody else familiar with it??

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can't help you on the swelling issue, I've got 2 boys and never noticed it happening to either of them. :pardon:

But the clinginess is pretty typical in most kids around that time frame, they start to realize that you could leave and potentially not come back. Games like peek a boo around furniture or under blankets can help teach them that you will come back, even if they can't see you. And the jealousy thing happened here too, we just would hold them both saying stuff like "I can hold Liam/Rylee too, I have plenty of room, I won't put you down, you are okay..." etc, eventually they outgrew it and now they don't care if we're holding both of them....most of the time! :lol: I think the jealousy thing makes the clinginess worse, because they don't want you to hold the other one more than you are holding them, so they cling even more! :lol:

3. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

Ahhh yes the clingy stage.. we're STILL going through that. Jace will crawl up to me saying "mum mum mum mum" and PULL on my leg when I'm holding Tanner. Makes for some interesting evenings when it's just me and the kids lol I don't remember the girls being like that either, but probably b/c there was only one baby to hold at a time?!?!

Like Dani I tell them they're ok and it's the other ones turn or just get on the floor and hold both of them. It's the worst when I'm trying to get something done and they're both screaming for me.. but at that pt they're usually tired too!

I haven't dealt w the swelling issue... yet but hopefully you can get some insight :)

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

1 of my boys only had 1 descending testicle when he was born. The other was up in his groin region. His sac has always looked smaller to me (wow, TMI! :lol: ) but the doc assured us that it is really common for testicles to go up and down (I now think of them like an elevator, lol). His testicle did eventually go down and it was visible. Sometimes I notice it's gone up again, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. Evidently it's very common.

5. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

We are going through the same thing. It just started a few days ago. I read about it, so I knew it was coming.
    I try to stay in sight or talk to them when they can't see me. I lay on the floor with them so both can have me at the same time, and I also take one-on-one time with them. I know they can't understand when I'm telling them it's the brother's turn, but eventually they will.
    There is no way I can hold them at the same time! (23.14lbs and 20.9lbs)

No experience on the swelling issue.

6. Amylwood

Amylwood Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice! Today was a much better day. I also started with 2 feedings of solids today and it really helped them not to be so fussy. (My previous post about solids) So I think we are going to try to keep on schedule with that. It will be interesting to see how they do on vacation. The closer it gets the more I worry. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!! This will be the first vacation with 5 kids for a whole week!! Hopefully we won't get a lot of [​IMG] for the 8 hour car ride!! I may need a vacation after our vacation!!

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Good luck! We're taking our first vaca with 4 kids, 4 days in a vehicle, 2000 miles from doorstep to doorstep! We drive this every summer, but we skipped last summer because the twins were only 4-5 months old, so this is the first summer with 4 kids. Did I mention 4 kids?? Cooped up in a Yukon XL??? 4 KIDS!! :laughing: