Cloth diaper recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Trishandthegirls, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I think I'm ready to make the switch to cloth diapers. My girls will be a year in just a few weeks, so I am hoping at some of you might have recommendations on cloth diaper brands that work for your toddlers? How many diapers did you need to purchase to get started?

Thanks,
    Trish

2. sitkamom

sitkamom Well-Known Member

We use Pocket Change pocket diapers. I like them because you don't have to 'shake' out the liner, the washer agitates them out. I also use a biodegradable rice paper liner to catch the poopies. It is just dumped into the potty when soiled and can be washed and reused until its soiled! I think we are going through about 5-6 a day EACH and one overnight diaper with an extra liner in it, most days. I wash about every other day and have maybe 13 diapers each (with some backups of course of other brands we've tried or ones we're about to outgrow or aren't the right gender color). HTH!

3. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I've tried most major brands and my favorite at the Happy Heinys. The velcro closures just can't be beat for ease of use, especially when you're trying to quickly change two toddlers. I have Happy Heinys that I've used for 3 years and they still work great so they really last. If you do go with pocket diapers, you'll probably want a hemp insert because it absorbs the most. If your kids are big pee-ers, then you can add a microfiber on top of the hemp before putting it in the pocket. I don't know how big your kids are but they might be able to fit in a large diaper and that could fit them through potty training.

Another alternative is going with all-in-one diapers. That is a little more expensive and less customizable for wetness but they are the simplest diapers. The cheapest option is using prefolds and covers. You can either use a Snappi to hold the prefolds closed or just lay them inside the cover and strap the cover on the baby.

A couple of websites that you may want to visit are diaperpin.com (for reviews of different products) and diaperswappers.com (for forums and inexpensive used diapers to try out). Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Those of us that use cloth tend to be pretty fanatic about it's benefits and are happy to help. :D There are a lot of mommies here on TS who CD their kids.

4. clkafka

clkafka Well-Known Member

Definitely check out the websites pp mentioned. I started out with prefolds and covers and now use Bumgenius One Size pockets. I suggest trying one of a couple different type/brands before buying a bunch to see what works best with you kids and lifestyle.