Clothes size 4 vs. 4T

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by rematuska, Dec 11, 2007.

1. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

Holy growth spurt Batman! Just when I thought I had things under control, my oldest grew half an inch last night (not exactly, but you get the idea) and is now walking around in too short of pants. Some brands are still ok, while some are not. Which leads me to my question - is there really a size difference between 4T and 4? Or is it just a labeling thing? I can't really tell based on some of the sizing charts I'm finding online.

Thanks!

2. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

Wow, what a busy girl growing last night! I don't really know if there is a difference or not. The only thing I have noticed is that sometimes the "T" clothes have bigger waist lines (I assumed that means for diapers). My kids are all a bit thick, so I liked the "T" clothes.

3. sjhesch

sjhesch Member

4T/4 and 5T/5 are basically the same size. The 'T's usually are cut bigger in the rear for diapers. I have found some brands that the 4's are a little longer than the 4T's so you might want to try them.

4. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

I have found a difference between size 4, 5 boys vs. size 4T, 5T.

Most stores will label both sizes in the same weight and height range...so you assume that they are the same. They will give you detailed sizing info on little boys sizes (waist, inseam in addition to ht/wt) but rarely is it listed for toddler (4T, 5T)sizes. Places like LLBean and Lands End,etc. DO list waist and inseam measurements for their little boys as well as for their toddler sizing. This is how I learned about the difference between toddler vs little boys sizing.

I have found little boys sizes (some stores start at 4 others 5) are about an inch bigger in the waist and an inch or so longer in the inseam vs. 4T and 5T sizes. For my boys who are tall ...I am really looking into the the little boy sizes now in pants vs. toddler sizing. For my one guy who is very slim but tall, I have really liked the cinch waist pants that are available in toddler sizes. When you get into little boy sizes they don't have those. But many stores carry slim and husky for little boys. So you go slim to get a smaller waist. HTH

5. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

I have no idea, but I think the idea of 5T being roomier for diapers a little odd!

6. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What I've noticed is a huge difference between girls and boys sizing.

Girls size 4/5 is a little bit longer in the arms and torso vs. size 4t/5t. In the pants, the legs are longer and there is no diaper room in 4/5.

Boys, well 4/5 seems to be just bigger size. Arms, legs and torso are longer. There is no diaper room. But in the boys 4/5 they also seem to allow for much broader shoulders than the 4t/5t.

Marissa

7. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Ts are indeed extra spacious for diapers. 5T may sound weird but my oldest has been in certain 5T items at age 3. Although she was potty trained a few months before age 3, not all kids are. Some brands only go up to 4T (I guess for that reason) anyway.

8. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Yep, my 3 year olds are in 4 and 5T items.

9. avaoliviamom

avaoliviamom Well-Known Member

I think a 4 is narrower than a 4T. I think someone at Gymboree told me that once.

10. kerrmommy

kerrmommy Well-Known Member

Oh, am I glad you asked this question. I have the hardest time find clothes for my DS in decent 4T sizes (literally just walked in the door from looking for Christmas stuff for him) and was wondering the EXACT same thing.

So, no when I go out again tomorrow, I will be armed with good information.

11. BillShiphr

BillShiphr Well-Known Member

I understand you at all. It is so hard to choose the right size to your child when he is so fast-growing. It always was my real trouble. Do you buy some designer clothes for your son? I'm telling about it because I've read on Belenechandia.com some info about Chanel replica bags and I want to try something by myself. If you are interested just visit it too, I think you will like it.