Comments that make you want to scream!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Stephanie1074, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Stephanie1074

Stephanie1074 Well-Known Member

1. So is your birth control Ethan & Ian? (our twins names)
    2. Wow you have your hands full!
    3. Are you done having kids?
    4. Did you plan on twins?
    5. I just have to know, was it fertility?
    6. My husband and I were watching T.V. and he was hoding the dog and I was holding Gavin (thier singleton born 2 weeks before our twins) and I looked at him & said this must be what Stephanie & Jason are going through! This is a real comment made to me by our daughter's former daycare provider!!! Seriously did she just compare having twins with having one baby and a DOG!!! YEP!!! Now you know why she is no longer our daughter's daycare provider!
    7. Yeah, I almost have twins... My kids are 15 months apart and that is just like having twins!!! Oh, really now let's trade places for an hour and see if you still think it is the same!!! I will even take our older daughter with me to your house!!
    8. While pushing my two babies into any store or place of buisness in the double snap-n-go stroller w/ 2 infant seats and 2 infants.... "Are they twins?" My response, "No, they are just the same age!"

Anyone have some others that really get them??? Not that all of them get me steamed (just the dog one and the 15 month one), but really do people really need to make coments just for the sake of making a comment?

2. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

Better you than me is one that really bugs me, because, clearly, I'm better suited to have twins if you just made that comment! And isn't that kind of an insult?
    You have your hands full is the one I hear most often. I just nod my head yes and move on because I do have my hands full and I really can't waste my time talking to you...
    I don't mind most of the comments, but people can be such dolts! Comparing a singleton and a dog to twins is pretty insulting, too.

3. nepolm

nepolm Well-Known Member

I honestly haven't had any that have really gotten me steamed, I just get the naturally curious observers and the standard comments like "You've got your hands full!" I really don't mind since most people are just innocently trying to be friendly and are interested.

But I can definitely see how the dog comment and 2 kids comment would annoy you!

4. benderboys

benderboys Well-Known Member

My personal favorites are the ones from grandparents of twins...we run into alot of those at the grocery store for some reason. It never fails that they feel compelled to tell me horror stories about what "their" twins did. I end up with this lame smile on my face and wondering if I should say thank you, up yours or why are you telling me this.

I get the usual hands full, double trouble stuff, but that doesn't bother me as much as the poor you comments. I wonder if these people expect me to start spouting off about how hard it is having twins...idiots.

5. two.heartbeats

two.heartbeats Well-Known Member

I can't stand the "Are they twins?" comment. Another one I often get is "Oh twins! Does that mean double the diapers, double the bottles?" Haha...No, I starve one and let the other go diaper-less!! Why don't people think?!

6. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Two for the price of one. :rolleyes: No, it's really two for the price of two.

Double trouble! Yes, my 20 months old boys are just horrible, that must be why my 4 children are behaving beautifully and I have a smile on my face! :rolleyes:

7. laurajrad

laurajrad Well-Known Member

Well this is a little bit off the subject I guess but I absolutely HATE it when my mother starts her sentences with "Well I know you are their mother but..." Drives me batty because I know she's going to criticize something I'm doing.

8. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

You're a twin too? I thought it skipped a generation!

How do you even get out of the house?

You're awfully brave to have two of them! (like it was up to me?)

NIP--wow, I didn't know it was possible to breastfeed two!

WHat do you do when they both cry at once?

But I have also had strangers offer to help me get a cart at the grocery, and at babiesrus, and I've had nurses offer to hold and rock one baby while I fed the other at the doctor's office.

9. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I get all of these. I absolutely hate the "wow, a double whammy!", like having twins is a bad thing. This is the time when I think to myself that I guess people don't have the same perspective I do. I'm thankful to have TWO beautiful babies, especially when there was a time my life when I wondered if I would ever have any at all.

10. Ashliemj

Ashliemj Active Member

Thanks for sharing these. As an expectant twin Mommy, I found this so funny but also inspiring. LOL!

11. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

One boy one girl????

they are both dressed in matching pink dresses with flowers - yes - I just wanted 2 girls so I dress my son in pink?? DUH!!

12. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

6. My husband and I were watching T.V. and he was hoding the dog and I was holding Gavin (thier singleton born 2 weeks before our twins) and I looked at him & said this must be what Stephanie & Jason are going through! This is a real comment made to me by our daughter's former daycare provider!!! Seriously did she just compare having twins with having one baby and a DOG!!! YEP!!! Now you know why she is no longer our daughter's daycare provider!

:rotflmbo: :rotflmbo: :rotflmbo:

OMG, thank you for giving me a great laugh today! :lol:

Here's one comment that always makes me want to scream (with laughter):

"Oh, twins! Did you do it on purpose?"

And one that drives me up the wall:

"Two boys, right?" (Happens no matter how much pink DD is wearing. Her hair is also longer and girlier than DS's.)

And a funny one I got from someone who wasn't looking too closely when I was out with the stroller and had to put DD in the Bjorn because she was fussy:

"Whoa, triplets!" :lol:

13. lhoran

lhoran Well-Known Member

We haven't been out a lot since the boys were early, but I would get lots of comments when I was out with my girls and pregnant. I have to say the elderly were the sweetest and never made rude comments! Anyway, we did venture to the mall, all 7 of us, and we received not one comment! My husband's plan to avoid the comments was 1. keep moving and 2. don't make any eye contact when people are looking. It worked!!

Lisa

14. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I hate the Double Trouble one. My new response is a kind, "No actually they are the best babies in the world". My mom keeps reminding me that these are just a person's way of starting a conversation with you, but it still drives me crazy! If someone stops me to tell me how adorable they are and I need to get moving or just can't handle having THAT conversation again, I say "They may be adorable now, but lets see how they are in 10 mins when I still have 30 mins of shopping and they are hungry."

On a good note, I went to an outdoor outlet mall today and a lot of people held doors for me. Somehow I don't mind all the comments when other people are going out of their way to help. :)

15. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

The one I get the most, and to me is the most annoying, is 'Are they identical?"
    This is usually comes even after I've said we have a boy and girl. Clearly they are not!
    And if different genders didn't just give it away- they look NOTHING alike! (They seriously don't even look related.) :rolleyes:

People just do not think!!

16. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

The only ones that get me are the complete strangers who ask whether they were natural or whether they 'run in my family' - which is usually just code for "did you have fertility treatments?" If I were a better person, I'm sure I would just want fertility treatments to be so common that I would answer the question without batting an eye...but darn it, why does anyone think this is an acceptable question?

I'm tempted, sometimes, to answer in enough detail to cross their eyes and send them running. I almost always just say, "No, we just got lucky."

17. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Heathermomof5 @ Mar 15 2008, 11:55 AM) [snapback]670495[/snapback]
    One boy one girl????

they are both dressed in matching pink dresses with flowers - yes - I just wanted 2 girls so I dress my son in pink?? DUH!!

I get this ALL THE TIME!! Hello they both have ponytails in their hair???

My worst so far was when I was at Perkins and saw a young girl with BRAND NEW twin girls come in... of course I went straight for her (looking back she looked so exhausted I probably should have left her alone. :blush: ) I said, "oh how cute I have twin girls too, they are 5 months old." (pointing to my DH and the double stroller), she stared at me and gave absolutely no response. I stuttered a little and then decided to talk again.."oh they are just getting more and more fun everyday, it does truely get easier." Then the woman with her (I think grandma) piped up, "well I have twins and they are 20 now, it gets harder and less fun, you are in for it." glared at me and I just zipped my lips, spun on my heal and was outta there before DH or I let the old rip have it!!

18. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

Briana it probably did help the mom to hear that! I encountered a couple with 2 week old twins at the pediatrician's on thursday. The mom looked so frazzled--I said the same thing! "they are so fun, and it really does get easier--I promise, you will sleep again!!!"

The mom just looked at me and said "it was worth leaving the house today just to hear that."

:)

19. meliz812

meliz812 Well-Known Member

I get the "1 boy, 1 girl?" comment a lot too! Ummm.....PINK carseats, PINK and PURPLE blankets, BOWS in their hair and DRESSES, HELLO??!!! lol
    I also get, "God Bless you!" a LOT!
    I also wanted to add another funny thing someone said to me last week at Walmart. After I got the usual, "Are they twins?" question, this woman said to me, "Is that your stroller?" Uh.....yeah? Why would I be pushing someone else's kids around?

20. Jayn

Jayn Well-Known Member

My all time favorite so far was "We were thinking about trying for a third until what happened to you." :eek:

and "Did you plan that?"

21. smiley_ca1

smiley_ca1 Well-Known Member

We get the TWO GIRLS? OR TWO BOYS? question a LOT! WE dress them in pink and blue when we're out most times just to try to avoid this question. Our kids look like their genders since birth. THere's really no guess work. Then the are they identical after we say no boy/girl.

My favourite irk statement is: "Twins?! WOW! You don't look that tired!" I usually try to take that as a compliment.

My biggest peeve is: When you are sitting eating at the mall, or standing still looking at something, and you get that person who stands just far enough away, but stares at your babies in the stroller. You can see them out of the corner of your eye just gawking, but not coming up to talk. You wonder if they're going to try to steal your babies.

We almost say "boy/girl, 4 months old, and yes, we do get sleep" when someone comes up to us... "and by the way, twins do run in the family". :lol: Maybe we should just put it on a t-shirt!!

22. camdensmommy

camdensmommy Well-Known Member

We were at Walmart today and walking past a small group of people- we hear, oh look they have twins, one says oh my she has her hands full, the other says oh my god, I would commit suicide... I thought it was pretty inappropriate!!!

23. DarciH

DarciH Well-Known Member

My top three:

- 'Are they yours'? (No, I stole them and am now on the run from the law. If the authorities come around with a composite drawing or pictures please say you haven't seen me/them)

- 'Are they fraternal or paternal'? (Well yes, I guess they are somewhat paternal, as they have a father) And this was once asked by a policeman who was filling up his car next to me...

- 'Are they identical'? (they are B/G so not only do they have different plumbing, our two could not look more different)

My Dad calls it all part of 'the dumbing of America'

*SIGH*

24. Soon2Bmotherof3

Soon2Bmotherof3 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ladybenz @ Mar 15 2008, 12:40 PM) [snapback]670471[/snapback]
    You're a twin too? I thought it skipped a generation!

I HATE that one too. Everytime people hear my husband was a twin and that we had twins we get that comment. I only hate it because then I feel compelled to launch into the "no it actually doesn't skip a generation, it just can seem that way" and "it actually would have had to run on my side of the family for heredity to have had anything to do with it" and "my husband is a fraternal twin and my girls are identical and identical twins are just random". You get the drift. When I am feeling lazy I just say - "Not in his family" :rolleyes:

25. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

YES! I hate all of the above - especially the "one girl one boy?" No. One just grows her hair slower. That does not make her a boy. But the pink dresses on both could have clued you in!" One of these days I will answer "Yeah, I'm doing all I can to be sure my boy is a cross-dresser when he grows up - so we dress him in pink." (Sorry- no offense to any twin cross dressers out there...)

But my most irritating are:
    "You don't know if they are frat or Id? Didn't you ask the doctor?" OOOOOH! You're right! I should have thought of that!
    or
    "If they weren't in the same sac they are fraternal." REALLY? Thanks for filling me in!!! WRONG!

26. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

We were at the mall today, so I think I got every single comment you all just shared. Today I heard..."double your trouble", to which I said, "but double my pleasure too!" and of course anytime someone stops me they feel compelled to tell me who they know who has twins, or is related to twins, or that they once saw twins etc. That doesn't bug me--but whenever I'm with friends and that stuff happens my friends will always comment, "does that happen to you everywhere you go??" the answer is yes!

The worst one happened at sams club a few months ago. A guy coming towards or cart could only see the two car seats and said, "twins?" and we said, "yes." He said, "oh...I feel for you....I hope you at least have boys". I was stunned but replied, "I have one of each" to which he said, "at least you have something to work with." WTH!!!!??? I don't even know what that means!

And the weirdest one happened in the grocery store when the check out lady said, "twins?" I said yep. She said, "Ugh, I am so sorry." I said, "don't be." She said, "I have twins too"--and kind of rolled her eyes. I couldn't believe another twin mom would say that! For one--I guess she doesn't feel as thrilled to have twins as I do, and secondly--shouldn't she know first hand how obnoxious those questions are!

Reyna

27. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I take most of the comments in stride, and haven't gotten any really bad ones -- except the outright infertility questions. WTH? Who thinks this is an acceptable question to ask a perfect stranger?

28. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I have had so many people tell me when they see my twins that they want(ed) twins - TO GET IT OVER WITH???!!!!!

what is up with that? just because you have 2 at once automatically means you don't want any more! people also assume that if they see me with just the girls that they must be my only ones and are amazed to find out that I have 3 boys too!

I have gotten some really neat comments too - I love having twins and I LOVE the attention we get!

my dh does not care what anyone thinks and once told a lady in a restaurant who asked if the girls were twins (same carseats, dressed alike....) DH said OH NO mam, this one is ours and that one is my girlfriend's! :eek:

29. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Yeah we all get the questions an the attention. I have b/g and people think they are both boys or both girls. THen ask if they are identical.

But the most annoying is oh, now you must be done having kids. Why is it any of your business but no we would like more. But I don't say that. Like people only keep having kids to have 1 boy and 1 girl. Somepeople are happy with that but I want more.

Someone else told me that, wow you must stay home all the time. I said, No actually I go out alone all the time, why stay home. They looked confused.

Someone did have a good questions once, she asked which one was older, clearly understanding they were twins, it threw me and it took me a second to answer:)

30. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Becca34 @ Mar 15 2008, 10:16 PM) [snapback]671003[/snapback]
    I take most of the comments in stride, and haven't gotten any really bad ones -- except the outright infertility questions. WTH? Who thinks this is an acceptable question to ask a perfect stranger?

Sadly...lots of people! I think think it's unreal that someone asks me that almost every time we are out!!

QUOTE(Heathermomof5 @ Mar 15 2008, 10:24 PM) [snapback]671013[/snapback]
    I have had so many people tell me when they see my twins that they want(ed) twins - TO GET IT OVER WITH???!!!!!

what is up with that? just because you have 2 at once automatically means you don't want any more! people also assume that if they see me with just the girls that they must be my only ones and are amazed to find out that I have 3 boys too!

I have gotten some really neat comments too - I love having twins and I LOVE the attention we get!

my dh does not care what anyone thinks and once told a lady in a restaurant who asked if the girls were twins (same carseats, dressed alike....) DH said OH NO mam, this one is ours and that one is my girlfriend's! :eek:

:rotflmbo: That is hysterical!

I usually don't mind the Are they twins, you have your hands full type questions...just the negative comments. I've had mostly "run of the mill ones" like I would shoot myself :angry: - Who says that to a new Mommy?? Sometimes, Your poor DH - mostly in reference to having three girls.

The worst comment I have gotten though was shortly after we found out we were having twins. A Mom in DD1's playgroup (who, for background, had had a miscarriage before she conceived her now 3 yr old - and had mentioned many times how devastating it was) got preggo shortly after me. When she went in for her first ultrasound she found out she had a Vanishing Twin. She went on and on about how glad she was that she didn't have to deal with that. That being having twins. Hello?!! So the miscarriage before DS1 was devastating but you are glad about this one?!! The first day, I was in too much shock to say anything. Since then, after her telling me several times how glad she was, I let her know what I thought. Not like me at all, but I couldn't help it...

For those of you that have had miscarriage(s), I want to make sure that didn't come accross like I didn't think the first was devastating - just that I am appalled she was so happy about losing the twin!!!

31. lindsay084

lindsay084 Well-Known Member

yep- ive had a lot of the PPs comments!! i guess i havent really heard anything that upset me, but ive also got the 2 for the price of 1, and i used the exact same response!!

32. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

what annoys me the most (now that the twins are nearly 2) is "did you know you were having twins"...I feel like Bill Engvall "nope, I birthed one and the second one slid right out - HERE'S YOUR SIGN!!!" I just want to yell - have you ever heard of an ULTRASOUND????

oh and I used to get "god when do you sleep" and I used to smile and say "all night long" - I did have early STTN as long as they were in the swing - they'd get up once to eat - but that was after 5 or 6 straight hours so it wasn't so bad....

I had a twin mommy in Target a few weeks ago (her g/g twins were about 6 mos old) ask me if it gets any easier - my answer (truly) was it gets different! - certain parts get easier but then you get into a whole 'nother ball game!

33. Caily

Caily Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Heathermomof5 @ Mar 15 2008, 10:55 AM) [snapback]670495[/snapback]
    One boy one girl????

Ha Ha! I get that ALL the time too!

The one that gets me is when people tell me how tired I look....

One time in the grocery store, when the girls were in the early months, (most of it a blur) the woman ahead of me said she had twins a couple months older, I asked her how it was going for her, she said, "oh, its easy" like no big deal. I was clearly not having an easy time, I was obviously frazzled, and my babies were misserable... I was speachless. I guess she must have had two easy babies or lots of help cause as far as I know, "easy" is not the word most twin mothers use to describe the first few months.....
    Anyway, now I can look back and laugh!

34. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Outnumbered @ Mar 15 2008, 10:46 AM) [snapback]670327[/snapback]
    I honestly haven't had any that have really gotten me steamed, I just get the naturally curious observers and the standard comments like "You've got your hands full!" I really don't mind since most people are just innocently trying to be friendly and are interested.

Thanks for saying this. I actually get more annoyed with how many twin moms get so bent out of shape about some of the more innocent comments from strangers than I do the innocent comments from strangers. I think asking about fertility or even hinting at it is tacky, but most of the rest of the comments don't really bother me. I really just don't have a lot of energy to be annoyed - it's easier for me to just answer the question and move on. PLUS, I've been really lucky to get nice comments like "Oh, you are so lucky..." or "I'm so impressed, I didn't grocery shop with ONE baby..." (that one happened today...so sweet)... those comments are the ones I remember the most.

What's the big deal? Asked in the nicest tone...really, what is the big deal?

35. Eyler07

Eyler07 Well-Known Member

While at walmart one day, the cashier asked us if the boys were "exact twins". Uhm........ i dunno......