Company came...UPDATE on Foot

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by duranjt, Apr 30, 2007.

1. duranjt

duranjt Well-Known Member

Okay, DD2 made her first communion on Saturday and the boys turned one last week, so we decided for the sake of the bigger family to have both celebrations this past Saturday. Soooo...my mom and her husband, my dd's godparents, DH's dad and his wife all planned to come into town (they all live 8+ hours away).
    My mom RSVP'd first, so she requested our basement (it has a br and bath).
    Godparents RSVP'd 2nd and asked if they could stay with us as well...we have a playroom with a pull-out sofa, so we said, "sure".
    Then FIL RSVP's and is mad b/c he can't stay with us. (now also know that he's a chain smoker and didn't let us know he was coming until about 3 weeks after everyone else) So they got a hotel and well, whatever.
    My Dad calls and says he's not coming (a whole OTHER story!) :angry:
    So here comes the weekend. First, my mom gets in and immediately starts telling me "Well, if you would just pick up everything as you finish using it you wouldn't have so much to pick up at the end of the day." and that I needed to stay on top of the laundry so it didn't get so overwhelming. Okay, HELLO!!! I have two pre-teen daughters who go through 2 or 3 outfits a day, 2 babies, plus 2 adults...I ALWAYS am overwhelmed by laundry!!! And when am I supposed to pick up? I'm chasing babies all day, and during nap I'm doing laundry?!?!?!
    Then Godparents come in with their 2 kids (yes, now we have 6 children in the house....) Their kids are 4 and 6, with the 6 yr. old dd ADHD (and they decide NOT to give her her meds while she's here b/c it's the weekend....) and her 4 yr old DS is allowed to do just about anything b/c "he's a boy, and boys just need to run and jump." Okay, maybe, but not off my 4th stair onto hardwood floors with people sleeping on the floor beneath him!

So we get to the church on Saturday...MIL (who just lost her husband on Easter Sunday) is there, where FIL is being a jerk and making a big deal about not sitting anywhere near her (yes, IN the church). SIL shows up with her best friend's 11 mo. old daughter who she forgot to tell us she was babysitting this weekend. FIL's wife is running around taking pictures of everyone...whether they want it or not...
    Mass starts, David pukes all over me...I have to leave to clean up (but luckily am back in time to see dd2 make her first communion). All is going okay. (whew)

We get back to the house. DH decides the "men" need to go down to the basement to watch the NFL draft. They are gone the rest of the day...I have to call down for him 4 times to make him come up so we can do the boys' birthday cake. GRRRR!!! And I'm having to play Holly Hostess to HIS mom, grandmother, sister, dad's wife, along with godmother, my mom and a friend of mine who babysits the girls sometimes. Not that I minded, but the previous 2 nights, I had less than 4 hours sleep and was exhausted and sore everywhere!! (did I mention that I think i've broken a bone in my foot, but have not had time to get the the dr. yet??)

So then Sunday rolls around. Godparents are leaving and running around trying to get everything packed and in their car. I'm getting the girls ready for church (their last CCD was Sunday) and we're trying to get out the door. My mom then decides that she's going up to the outlets to shop. Now. Not waiting to see if I want to go and wait until after church (like 11;30 and the stores didn't open until noon) So she and her husband leave. I go to church, come home and FIL is there with DH and they decide they want to go to Stone Mt. (a state park/recreation area) right as the boys are about to go down for nap. So I send them on their way, staying home so I can see my mom and the boys can sleep. She finally gets home and has planned dinner and lunch for all of us...without asking if we're even eating together...then gets all snotty b/c dh and his dad are gone and not going to be eating (they were going out to dinner). I asked if my mom wanted to go run some errands with me since I hadn't seen much of her, and she hemmed and hawed and finally said ok, but then stayed in the car everywhere I went. Some time together, huh?

I guess what I'm getting at is why can't people, for ONE weekend, take their agenda off the table and look at what is going on?? Why does everyone think that what they want to do is the only thing we can do, espcially when they know there are more than one set of people involved???? Is everyone REALLY that selfish????? DH and I talked last night and truly, I don't think we'll ever invite ANYONE in our family to be houseguests ever again. It was THAT bad. I know other people have even WORSE family stories, but I'm just so tired of mine!!

oh, also, with all this family in town, did ONE person offer to watch the kids so DH and I could spend a little time alone together??? NO!!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent (if you've gotten this far!!!)
    :) nicole

2. Crystal74

Crystal74 Well-Known Member

WOW! I thought my story was bad. You definately have me beat. My family has just as many issues as yours. It's a shame that they couldn't see past their own agenda and even more of a shame that you couldn't even get a little break with all that family around. I also have divorced parents that are both remarried. My father would not come to the baptism--that could have been a whole other post for me.

Oh, our issues,huh? I think you should have a drink tonight on me. :friends: Oh, I forgot-- I'm too tired to do that..LOL

Crystal

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

:hug99: :hug99: :hug99: OH NICOLE!!!! What a nightmare!! What about someone watching the kids so you can go to the doctor and get your foot taken care of?! :blink: I'm sorry it was so awful!!! I wouldn't ever let more than one guest stay in your house at a time in that case!!! UGH!!! You need a vacation!! :drinks:

4. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

wow! I agree....next time, just let everyone stay in hotels. :hug99:

5. debid

debid Well-Known Member

Oh, I feel for you. We do the same thing once a year in July at DH's insistance and I dread it every time.

We have a three-bedroom home. That's ONE guest room. Still, everyone wants to stay here and DH actually suggested last year that we disassemble the cribs and move them to our room so people could stay in the nursery. I put my foot down. So, we ended up with people sleeping everywhere and leaving a mess everywhere they went (none of them clean at all!) while we were trying to get ready for a big party. Oh, and DH is famous for disappearing for the entire day leaving me to entertain and feed his entire family in between diapers and feeding the babies. Several of them have "special food needs" now as well and so I had to prepare meals that could be liquified and didn't contain any of the many ingredients that this person or that doesn't like. DH went and got a bunch of organic stuff and tried to tell me I had to make his father separate meals with the special food and I told him he could do it himself. I also had to draw the line at preparing extra sets of meals to accomodate their eating schedules. I told them all when we eat and pointed to the refrigerator and cupboards as an excellent source of food between those meals. I'm sure they all think I'm the biggest b**** ever and frankly I don't care. If it convinces them to stay somewhere else someday, then it was all worth it.

So YES, they really are that selfish and YES, you're not the only one with lazy, obnoxious inlaws.

6. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Wow!!!! At least you had the foresight to plan it all into one weekend, instead of dragging that nightmare out over two different periods of time. What a story. I am sorry it was such a rough weekend. And the LAST thing you needed too was to have a mom harping on you about laundry.

7. Saiynee

Saiynee Well-Known Member

i am so sorry. That sounds awful. SOunds likea lot of people were being really selfish this weekend. Oh, and please go get your foot looked at!

8. mandylouwho

mandylouwho Well-Known Member

Oh Nicole!!!!!!!!! HUGS!!!!!!!!!! Your not the only one TRUST ME!!! My family has to complain EVERY TIME they are here about the damn commute (a wee 2 hours at MOST)...even though I do it practically every weekend during the warmer months AND stay over with 2 year old twins.

I am having a anni party for my inlaws and took out a block of rooms. I told DH that his siblings can stay and THATS IT. If your too drunk TAKE A CAB!!!!

Maybe you should do that next time?? Say, I can understand you would like to stay here, but Im just not oganized or up for it. And whats up with the critisism????!!!! DUDE, shut it!! I have a VERY busy life. Excuse me mrs all my grown kids no longer live here, and there is nothing else for me to do but think of my house and its cleanliness. I dont think your normal if your house is spotless and you have kids!!!

No worries!!!!!!!

xoxo

9. duranjt

duranjt Well-Known Member

Thank you to all of you!! It's good to know I'm not alone! :)
    Update on the foot...luckily (I guess) it's not broken, but it seems that I might have torn the tendon away from the bone on my 5th metatarsal, so they're treating it like they would a break and told me to basically suck it up, as it will hurt for another 6-8 weeks. Of course, I am sooo embarrassed b/c I had a breakdown in x-ray...when I went down there, they asked who was there to watch the boys. I told them I was alone, and she told me that they couldn't do the x-rays since the boys are not allowed back there (policy that no kids are allowed in xray unless they're the ones being xrayed---I can understand) Well, I lost it and told her, in tears (so embarrassed!) that I had been putting this off for 6 weeks b/c I didn't have anyone to watch the boys, and what did she want me to do? Of course, I then felt so bad and apologized b/c I know it's not her fault and she's just doing her job...
    So anyway, one of the techs came up and sneaked the boys in with me and kept them outside the xray room while they took them, so then I felt like a total schmuck, but at least I didn't have to come back later with all FOUR kids (so the girls could watch the boys...) So, anyway, now I'm in a lovely black velcro "boot" during the day and get to take perscription Naproxin...
    Thanks again for the support...I really love Twinstuff!!!

:) Nicole

10. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Oh Nicole, I would have cried too!!! I'm glad you got it taken care of!! ( I would have left them in the stroller with their snack on the safe side of the wall or something....) I'm glad it's not broken, but sounds painful!! If they only KNEW what you had been through recently......sigh! Hope you heal quickly! :hug99:

11. fourznuff

fourznuff Well-Known Member

Wow! I would have cried in front of the tech too. I mean sheesh, how much can one person take? I found myself holding my breath as I was reading your post. I'm exhausted! I'm glad that weekend is over for you. I hope you heal fast and feel better soon.

-Kimberly

12. LLA

LLA Well-Known Member

I am sorry for everything that you have been going through. At least your foot is not broken. I hope that it starts feeling better soon, and happy belated birthady to your boys!

13. Saiynee

Saiynee Well-Known Member

:hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: I am hurting for you!! get better soon!