Competitive sickness

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ECUBitzy, Apr 27, 2013.

1. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Samantha had an asthma attack over the weekend followed by a night of barking coughs and difficulty breathing. I took her in on Monday and the ped said it was a brutal combination of seasonal allergies and croup that caused the asthma attack. She's been on steroids all week (as well as probiotics because those steroids are terrible on the south end).

I've got her in diapers to contain the awful mess. I've done three loads of laundry for soiled pants since 5:30 yesterday. Two showers in less than 24 hours. We're not having fun.

The competitive part is that Alexis is insanely jealous of the attention Sam is getting. She's faking coughs, saying she's sick, demands to wear a diaper. This is miserable!

Any advice? Commiseration? I'm *not* good at this- it's wearing me out.

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ugh, that sounds like and awful time Steph; you have sure had a rough winter with all of this stuff. Diapers at this point are a great idea.

As for Alexis, I'd let her wear one over her underwear just so she doesn't feel left out. If you have a doctor kit, "doctor" her after you're done giving Sam her meds. I always give the kids "fake" medicine too when only one is getting it so they don't feel left out. Like, hold the puffer mask over their face with no meds or give them a spoonful of honey or whatever.

Good luck lady, I hope your week improves!

3. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

Croup :(. Croup Sucks!
    I have been told that kids do grow out of being prone to croup.

Seasonal allergies:
    Have you taken Samantha to an allergist?
    At least being aware of seasonal allergies should help you for next year.
    To start Zyrtec/Claritin/etc about a week before the allergen starts.
    Remove shoes at the door. Watch out about opening the windows to let "fresh air" inside.

Sympathy "patient":
    It is really tiring having the other sibling be so emotionally needy too.
    Is there any way you can have someone watch Samantha as you take the other one on a regular errand?

Hope everyone feels better soon!

4. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

You have my sympathy! We have had quite a bit of this too, as one of mine had ear infections very frequently over the winter and the other started complaining about hurting ears too (so convincingly that I even took him to the doctor to be sure a few times).

What I try to do it to enlist the twin who is well to help care for the sick one (i.e. Can you remind me to give DD her medicine after lunch? Can you come and get me if DD is feeling sicker I just need to check on the laundry? Would you like to bring DD her hot water bottle to make her ear better?) and praise him or her like anything for helping and taking such good care of the other one "because that is what we do in a family". I also stress privately (so the sick one does not hear) that the well one gets to do all the fun stuff at pre-school and the sick one has to sit around in boring doctor's offices waiting.

5. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I forgot to add: I usually let them both sleep with me if one is sick enough to need monitoring at night because that seems to cause the worst envy.

6. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No advice but my girls are the same way. Amelia was heartbroken when Lily got glasses and had to wear a patch.

7. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Yeah, Alexis threw up all night. :/ No other symptoms, though! We've got fluids everywhere. I'm so tired I can barely function. Gah, I'm over it!

8. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Ah, so now both of them are sick? I am sorry to hear that, I hope they are both better soon so you can all get some rest.

9. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh man Steph, call in the troops! You guys have sure had a long winter; I wish I could come over and give you a couple nights off.